Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCity Development For New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
consultrainer View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 19:00
Originally posted by Llyr Llyr wrote:

// .. //

But any reasonable approach is better than asking the question "what do I build?" in GC and getting bombarded with a dozen different answers, all reasonable and all different, which I see happening quite often.

i am just three days new to this game, and I endorse ur view. 

Thanks for the notes... it is a new approach -- a newbie approach, I would say.!ClapClap

and, Gossip .. u deserve all the more respect, for presenting the same view, differently.

Big smile

when do you start the Part Two?EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Edited by consultrainer - 28 Dec 2012 at 19:03

Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 23:03
Sorry Consul, no sequel planned Smile. I'd like to thank everyone who has commented so far, especially the ones who have disagreed with me. Hopefully this discussion will help new players who were as bewildered as I was when I started 3 months ago.

Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 21:22
I'd like to second the cotter issue raised. Newbies benefit enormously from having 15 cotters and then demolishing as necessary. Eventually, you're left with 0 cottages in the more established villages and still have 15 cotters in your newest village. With hides selling at 5-6k a piece, newbies can become self sufficient much quicker - as well as giving them something to do before they get troops/sov etc. It doesn't affect anything else mentioned in your guide and the demolish time is very quick. 

Great guide though, thanks for this Llyr! I hope my newbies can learn something :)
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 21:33
Thank you Auraya -- you may be right about the cotters; I never bothered building that many (normally just 4 in a new settlement). More could well be better.

Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 21:42
Give it a try :) 
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 17:07
Actually, I 've developed a detail building plan for newB's with help from janosch but currently it is availaible to only TOR and TOR-U members. I am certain other alliances have developed simillar plans but I doubt they can improve on my 17 cotters for a 500 pop village LOL
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
Alimi View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 06:27
Originally posted by Llyr Llyr wrote:

4. A Book Binder is the only way to move research from an established town to a new one; otherwise the points just accumulate for no reason (other than sov support). All towns for both my accounts have them (or will have them). I personally can't imagine not having them, but maybe that's just me.

That's a really good point, but this IS a guide for new players, and as a new player I don't think I can spare the RP (Research Points) to make books even though I just settled a new city and need extra RP there. You can't speed up research at all so I like to keep my research queue full even if it means researching something even though I have no idea if I will need it or not. I assume it will be useful eventually, especially if it has a really low cost or opens up a lot of other options and if it isn't, oh well. Too late now. Tongue

I'd tell new players who are in an alliance to wait until they settle their 3rd or 4th cities before building their own bookbinder and instead ask for books or gold in AC (Alliance Chat).

Even if you don't have an alliance you still won't need a bookbinder until you have a second city (so that space could be occupied by a cotter until you need it) and a few thousand RP that you don't immediately need that you can turn into books.
Or you could take the merchant route and sell resources gathered by cotters, a few dozen cows (they're hard enough to make even high priced cows seem to sell fine), anyting that you can spare that doesn't take up too many caravans (so no basic res). 
I sold goods for books even though I have asked for and gotten books from my alliance members; mostly because of shipping times (buying from the market is waaay faster if I have the spare gold).
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 07:18
I have to respectfully disagree about the tavern. It is the cheapest, fastest way to increase population. Every town should have a L20 Tavern.
Elf Dragon View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 19:01
But the tavern also takes a building spot. I have tavern in almost all my cities.
Anyway, I think if you want to focus on something (harvesting, crafting....) it's better to demolish Tavern and build something else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic