Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBludgeon and Eviscerate the Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LordBliss View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 19:49
5.  If a tree falls in the forest and my wife is nowhere around, am I still wrong?

you must be a newlywed to have such a narrow viewpoint.  you are wrong whether the tree falls or not, and whether she is around or not.  the tree, its position relative to any other object including the ground and your wife, and your wife's proximity to any flora or fauna that may or may not be observing any laws of gravity are all irrelevant to the issue of you being wrong.  If you have a wife, you are wrong.

flowchart"

do i have a wife?  yes.  then i am wrong.
no.   i may or may not be wrong.  but if i am, i don't have to hear about it nonstop.

Edited by LordBliss - 22 Feb 2012 at 19:57
hiram_sedai View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 21:10
Thanks for all the answers to a few of my questions.  Please know that my lips got tired reading many of the answers.  I would also like to thank that Admin type person in a very sycophantic way for noticing me.

Bartozzi View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 06:29
The corollary to question #5 is: The sound of one hand clapping is, "You're wrong, Mike. And take off those damn pants."
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 17:04
Originally posted by hiram_sedai hiram_sedai wrote:

Hey folks,

I do apologize in advance for my verbosity coupled with a bit of egocentricity in creating my own thread asking to be welcomed to your community.  By way of introduction, I've already played a bit of KOC, Evony and Verdonia so I'm new but a different flavor of new.

I have dozens of questions that were not answered by your local demi-god named "The_Dude" who has an important underscore.  Should I ask these questions in chat and hope to be noticed?

This is me:
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Player/Profile/139476

This is incorrect.  I am an actual god!  LOL

I think your questions are addressed at the Hacienda.

Edited by The_Dude - 23 Feb 2012 at 17:05
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Hey folks,

I do apologize in advance for my verbosity coupled with a bit of egocentricity in creating my own thread asking to be welcomed to your community.  By way of introduction, I've already played a bit of KOC, Evony and Verdonia so I'm new but a different flavor of new.

I have dozens of questions that were not answered by your local demi-god named "The_Dude" who has an important underscore.  Should I ask these questions in chat and hope to be noticed?

This is me:

This is incorrect.  I am an actual god!  LOL

I think your questions are addressed at the Hacienda.

Mr.lebowski is hiram the guy who looks after your long hairs....i am looking for one
Is he good?LOL
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 14:26
Mister The_Dude,

Please know that I tried my best to only ask questions that were not answered at your site (Hacienda).  I took a gander at your tips more than once and trembled in gratitude for the wisdom you shared with us lilliputians. 

I have a few dozen more questions but am waiting until I read the rest of this forum and your tips once more.  I do hope that my staring at your tips doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.  Of course, I respect you for your mind.

Wink

Edited by hiram_sedai - 24 Feb 2012 at 14:27
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 16:08

Mister The_Dude,
Of course, I respect you for your mind.

Completely the wrong thing to respect him for. Respect him for his cowboy boots... ;)
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 22:59

Mister The_Dude,

Please know that I tried my best to only ask questions that were not answered at your site (Hacienda).  I took a gander at your tips more than once and trembled in gratitude for the wisdom you shared with us lilliputians. 

I have a few dozen more questions but am waiting until I read the rest of this forum and your tips once more.  I do hope that my staring at your tips doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.  Of course, I respect you for your mind.

Wink

Relevant Hacienda information supplied below.  Beer

7 Questions answered at the Hacienda.  2 Questions were insincere.   Hmmm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my first dozen questions:

1.  Best tax rate after Newbie Peas Mode but not having a bit standing army?

2) Change your tax rate to 0%. You need taxes to generate gold. You need gold to make units and support those units. As a newbie, you will NOT be making units for a while yet. Taxes to generate gold reduce your production of basic resources (wood, clay, iron, stone, and food). Early on, these basic resources are much more important to you than gold is. As you grow and start building units, you will need to raise your tax rate.

2.  Is there a way to defend vs Thieves?  (instead of reacting after I've been burgled)

10) Most likely, a new player will suffer attacks from Diplomatic units before armies. Diplos are anonymous, armies identify the attacker. You will defend against enemy Diplos with first, your Killing Rune. Second, by building your own force of Diplos. Your Diplos can stop enemy Diplos. But your defending force needs to be about 50% the size of the attacking force to be effective. Also, only Diplos of the same type stop enemy Diplos (ie, only thieves stop thieves, only scouts stop scouts, etc). You will build Diplos in your Consulate. Also, a low level vault is helpful to preserve a small amount of books and other advanced goods from thieves. If thieves strike, they will deplete your rune, and you will need books to cast a fresh rune. So, the vault could save a few books so that you can re-cast your rune without having to wait for new books to be made.

This is an excellent guide on self-defense for newbs: 
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/basic-self-defense-for-new-players_topic2368.html

3.  Value of the Vault...does it defend enough resources to be worth the effort?

See response to #2

4.  When should I start researching Sovereignty stuff?

The absence of providing guidance to newbies in my guide is a clear indication that Sovereignty is not a game element relevant to a newbie.

5.  If a tree falls in the forest and my wife is nowhere around, am I still wrong?

6.  Best quantity of scouts and diplomats at the one week mark?

7.  Is harvesting resources near another person's city cause for an offense in this community?

9) Marketplace. You need a Marketplace to make caravans. You need caravans to ship goods to friendly cities, make trades in the Global Market, and Harvest Resources that spawn on the Map. See the separate topic here on Harvesting.

From the separate topic: When your van is interrupted this is called "bumping." This is annoying to many players but it is a common occurrence. I recommend not letting this irritate you. It is a widely-held view that van bumping is a-ok and some players even find it fun to bump each other. I do.

Killing vans, however, is widely considered an act of war. 
Evil or Very Mad So I recommend that you not do this.

Some players think they should send an army to guard a resource site and prevent other players from harvesting it. I consider this being selfish. Some players will try to destroy armies guarding resources.

8.  Does bumping occur most often when two people just try for the same resource at the same time?

See above.

9.  Why does my wife say "dammit Mike" when i dance like MC Hammer in mah big pants?

10.  From your experience, is the Architect Office even worth being built at all? 

5) ***The new building Architect's Office is best deferred by new players. You might want this building later, but it will not make a significant benefit early on. It's probably best to wait until your pop is around 400-500 to start this building. A level 10 will earn you a 15% decrease in build times for buildings. But it has an hourly food maintenance cost of 113/hr. Also, it requires almost 17K each basic resource to build this to level 10. However, if you are a player that has an empty building queue frequently OR if you use Prestige to speed build, then I recommend NOT building this improvement.

11.  Have any of you conquered an NPC city and was it worth the effort?

12.  Can you level up your commanders against NPC armies/cities?

New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 23:24
interesting replies all.  Thanks to some of you for the help.

I shall refrain from asking any more questions until i comprehend the existing help provided. 

regards

Hiram
theDragonReborn View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 01:09
I see you Aes Sedai! Swear fealty to me and you might live another day! mwuahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic