Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BL Alliance Land Claims: An Early Guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 18:05
Originally posted by Diva Diva wrote:

Now you have a base, why would LC war with anyone? ... Other than planned pvp.. what friction is there for LC? ... I'm still shaking my head as to the point of what LC is doing ... becoming exclusive, reclusive and sedentary is not something I look forward to. 

Hi, Diva. That's great point that you make. 

A lot of proponents of land claims make arguments such as "it's a way to ensure the growth of our homeland," or "it gives us control of resources" or "it provides optimal defense" or simply "this is a sandbox game and we'll do what we want." I think another possibility with land claims is that they will cause "friction" over alliances vying for land.

To borrow a quote from Hal over on the thread where alliances are stating that they do not recognize claims:

Originally posted by Halcyon Halcyon wrote:

We do not settle inside a land claim with an intention to force a conflict, but we settle where our strategy indicates even if this means settling inside a land claim. Military or diplomatic actions against our cities will be answered with disproportionate military action.

I see Hal's position here as a really positive development for the game. This is exactly how you end up with friction. As an example, if Hal decides to ignore an alliance's land claim boundaries and begins to settle his own alliance for whatever strategic reason he sees fit, there is definitely going to be friction between his alliance and the alliance who made the claim. 

Will it mean "war?" Who knows? Maybe there is a negotiation and a deal reached? Maybe it becomes a "settlement race" to dominate the region with cities and sov? Maybe it results in a war over that piece of land where his alliance is settling and another alliance has claimed, and either giving up the claim or giving up the settlement plan becomes the bargaining chip in a surrender? 

In any case, even if an alliance ignores a claim and begins settling in another alliance's claim, this is bound to create friction in exactly the same way as if an alliance tried to "counter-claim" inside another alliance's zone.

As one of the players involved in launching the land claim initiatives in the Broken Lands, I think that the alliances who are pro-actively stating that they will not respect the claims and potentially encroach on them are really enriching the land claim project and helping to further demonstrate its potential value. I had imagined in the past that two claiming alliances next to one another would eventually vie for control of disputed lands between them; now, I think it's possible that alliances will challenge the claims by aggressively moving into them. This will most definitely spark a new brand of friction in the game.

Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 18:28
JeJune... 

In this last post, you have mentioned ... exactly what I thought, for some ----- "we want the harvesting in the LC we make to be just for us -- no, entry."

The basic premise (I heard) of being in BL was to afford more PvP experiences. PvP basically have been planned occurrences ... what I have seen is a lot of naps because so many are placed w/in filling the land claim area. Fine and dandy to not step on toes. And they want the comfort of protection.

But in that plot of land, who controls what? If some napped in that land gets ticked off and has 41 cities (of their alliance all clustered or spread about w/in that LC) and can no longer stand the rules of LC, wow, that's a trek of exodus that will be painful.

You probably will get some friction/action that way, and dividing more of the land to exile people to areas of the LC or oust them completely.

But I doubt many will just cross the line to make friction with the larger LC's. But the smaller LC's will have a hard time with it .. as they are the targets of opportunity to break the law of the land.

I think land claiming has put them at more risk.

I guess, for me.. I see a long range of "I don't care to deal with it" landclaiming hassles... not just now, but in the future, when there is so much more opportunity in all of Illyriad to bypass it. I have more options to NOT LC than to do it.

But it still makes LC's exclusive, reclusive and sedentary ... and many people for friction sake will try to send you (if cities of that LC alliance are outside the LC)  to your exclusive, reclusive and sedentary place. I would agree with it. It again, makes you have your cake (all of Illyriad) and exclude by force other's entering LC's. 

I find making a claim and then white-washing it to fit your need very objectionable by living outside your LC. Stick with one or the other, or don't make a LC.

Like all things, it's just my opinion... we are all entitled to make a few and raise questions.

Edited by Diva - 05 Jul 2015 at 18:42
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 19:22
How does the fact that Illy does not have an end-game event as was the case in Lord of Ultima (or the upcoming Crown of the Gods) influence the need of a land claim?  Does it encourage a different style of play which is largely incompatible with Illy?

We know Illy is a game with new mechanics and twists constantly being introduced (maybe not a fast as many would like).  It seems getting all of your eggs into the "land claim" basket could prove folly.

The friction sought by some can be easily had without land claims...  I have a lovely neighbor near one of my cities who thinks anyone harvesting within 10 squares of his lone city should be destroyed.  There is friction in that... There is also friction in sov claims and occupying armies no matter where they are.   The land claim is just an expansion on a larger scale, and one that may prove to be unnecessary.

What role will the land claim play in the mysteries and discoveries that are potentially out there?  Will the claims prohibit progress?  There are many players who enjoy this side of the game and may be discouraged from their continued work because particular land segments are off limits.  

I could also add the traders and their roles in the game.  There are probably more players interested in trading as their game play than the mysteries/discoveries folks and they provide a service to the area in which they produce.  Now... if your alliance is well organized and full of active players then perhaps you are self sustaining when it comes to trade, or perhaps you set up a sister alliance without a land claim to occupy a variety of locations in the game to gain access to local goods?  Back on point... These are good neighbors that are potentially being denied access to lands that goes beyond what was previously accepted by the community.
Jamie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 18:03
Amazing post! Very detailed and informational 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic