Topic ClosedBegging For Dummies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Leungarific View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 07:50
Originally posted by <Squill> <Squill> wrote:

...I have been making quite a profit out of begging with my alt. ...

Reading that sort of thing puts people off donating resources to new players, as you never know who is simply passing on those resources to a larger account.

Sort of against the game regulations I hope, as this seems to fall quite close to the "Towns on second accounts set up largely for the purpose of sending resources to your primary town are not permitted. If you infringe this rule you will receive a warning, and if you continue to infringe this rule, a suspension or ban." bit under the MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS heading over at Current Rules.
Whence we cometh foreth youeth, youeth willeth knoweth iteth.
- AnalrotsAnIStinkAlot
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 08:22
Never said I sent resources to my main account now did I?
Iduna View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 10:10
I never found begging a good thing, people tend to forget (especially the vets) how they had to struggle in the beginning. We never had help like the new players are getting these days. IMO it is creating an atmosphere in which new players can get their hands on whatever they need without having to do much for it....hence the creation of newbee alliances without proper experience and getting into wars with eachother.....just because they are fed the res they need whenever they hold their hands up.

Dont get me wrong, I support helping out new players but there are proper training alliances for same, if I ever catch a member of my alliance begging for resources in GC I would certainly slap him/her on the fingers. I think it makes an alliance look bad if they cannot provide for their own members......yes I do believe there are moments where there are no others online but thats where patience kicks in. 

This game is a slow start yes, and getting a bit of help never hurt anyone but recently it seems that this new player help has become more like a must then a favour.

just ventilating here, I have done same on GC when I see this spiraling out of control.

a lot might not agree, but the new player base has to be carefully handled and guided, not let loose with unlimited res at hand without having the sweat, blood and tears put into it like most of us had to in the beginning. The getting of res clouds the carefull use of same because they can get more whenever they want.

Edited by Iduna - 07 Sep 2011 at 10:12
those with no fear are wreckless
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 14:43
Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

No no no.

WE are not going to create a list of rules on how to behave in GC.

Oh by all means, let's create a code of conduct for GC.  I can just imagine how the "Illy is horrible because it's a big snuggle mob and everyone doesn't kill everyone else in the first 10 minutes like Travian" crowd would react... ;)
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 14:53

Originally posted by Nesse Nesse wrote:

How about not begging at all, just stating that you have a lack of resources. You could even say you don't want to beg, though that is making it a bit obvious. "Waiting impatiently for 3k resources to accumulate in 16 hours so I can start upgrading my mage tower." might work in lieu of a question.

Naughty Nesse, I asked you to write something nice about my post, it's a bit Odd that you did not.

Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 16:56
Kumo,

Exactly, glad to see you're keeping up ;)

Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 17:55
If a new player is reading this and is actually wondering about getting resource help in GC, here's my advice:  Show up in chat, say hello, and be pleasant.  People will see that you're new and send resources.  The awesome thing about Illy vets is that there's rarely a need to ask.

Iduna, I think vets send resources because they remember how difficult and slow it was to start out new, and that players like me send because they remember with gratitude the help they received from vets.  I agree that gifts from vets should be a hand up, not a handout, which is why my gifts tend to be relatively modest and emphasize basic resources that can be used to build.

Insofar as anyone is interested in what I think makes a good gift for a new player, the most useful gift is a quantity of basics to fill a lev 2 or 3 storehouse (around 750-1k each), 5 or so horses, perhaps a few books and a little gold (1k or so).

in my view, sending large quantities of advanced resources and gold tends to encourage thieves to target new players.

I'd be interested in what others think about this.
<Squill> View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 18:05
Ehe, nobody stole from me :)
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 18:11
I never really asked for much resources, I have asked for resources, more so when im off five thousand iron for a level 20 barracks or something.

This game is built on waiting, armies take days to march around, diplomats take hours to day.  Buildings take many hours to four days, as does research.  Newbies should get used to waiting for their stockpile of resources to regenerate, its called Patience.   Imo, the game gives you enough starter reosurces to build a storehouse, library and a few resource plots, then if your following the tutorial, it will send more, enough to build a few more resource plots and a marketplace to harvest more resources.  You should'nt be able to have all resource plots level 8 in your first day.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 18:22
I agree wholeheartedly with Rill.  I'm rarely on GC, but I occasionally send 1-2k of the basics to whoever appears on the Herald as the newest signup.  It tends to be a long trip, and if they're sharp and see the incoming, they'll get their storehouse up in time to save more of the shipment (travel times are usually quite long).  It's a welcome package with extra reward for alertness.

And for those of you looking for a prestigious quote of me in your sig: "I said this." Tongue
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic