Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Self Defense for New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Schepel View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schepel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 23:52
Thanks for this very useful guide. I wish I had read it a bit sooner, as I have lost some valuable time. However, I was wondering whether you could do without arcane stuff. I want to be a proper Dwarvish Lord. Dwarves and magic don't mingle, generally.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 01:14
Schlepel, the Dwarven Druids would beg to disagree on the dwarves and magic thing.  But I leave it to Nesse to explain why.

It is perfectly possible to go through Illy without building a mage tower or employing any magic whatsoever.  It is, however, decidedly less efficient in the opening stages of the game.

Even besides their usefulness in killing enemy units, Runes serve as a useful intelligence tool, since an activated Rune tells you the race of the attacker.

If you prefer you can interpret magickal interventions as deriving their effectiveness from a superstitious populace.  That is, I suspect that the mere sight of the glowing sigil above my gate causes ne'erdowells to experience a drastic increase in blood pressure, resulting in a heart attack or stroke.  The glow of the morning sun through the magnifying lens mounted above the sigil may account for the charring effect.  It is all rationally explicable, as anyone from the Temple of Reason can assure you.

Ryelle, who as an elf is full of soft-headed superstition, would probably differ with me on this.
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salararius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 01:59
I've had some thoughts on this topic that may or may not be valuable.  It's easier to steal your stuff if you leave it laying all over the place and spread your defenses thin.  Moving adv resources and gold to one city that you protect with more runes (runemasters grounding) and the bulk of your thieves is less costly than building up the same capacity in every town.

Obviously this isn't helpful to someone with one town or who has spread his towns all over the map but as soon as you have two towns and if you aren't spreading them all over, pick one to protect from thieves.  This will leave basic resources open in the other towns but those are easier to replace, (just ask).

Another thought to protect gold is to turn it into something that can't be stolen (like cows, horses or siege blocks).  You can buy cows with excess gold and then sell them to get the gold back.

Finally, if your towns are not too spread out you can use a foreign embassy in one with your most advanced consulate to see quite a distance from all the towns (max range is ~50 squares).  Again, you're spending once on a capability used by several towns.

Dew View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 09:35
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

It is perfectly possible to go through Illy without building a mage tower or employing any magic whatsoever.  It is, however, decidedly less efficient in the opening stages of the game.

I would say that it is decidedly less efficient no matter what. i am assuming that the above quote already accounts for the 8% food production. and as you said the rune magic is essentially "free" troops of 250-400 units without taking auxiliary buildings into account. but since the building has one of the highest population rates, then the tax income (and population) also make this an ideal defensive structure.

i would like to ask if there ever is a reason to defend against spies or scouts? and if this defense is needed when to add it. 

My second Question is whether the Diplomatic units also receive a bonus from the city wall. 

Edited by Dew - 10 May 2012 at 11:14
Jabbels View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabbels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 20:59
Thanks for that Rill. Good read.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 05:16
I have updated the post to reflect some changes in game mechanics -- I am looking for some feedback.  Does it still make sense?  Do the recommendations still work?  How can it be improved?

Thanks!
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:40
good job on the self defense guide rill, i would disagree with the vault however, the vault does not protect enough resources to be worth it. you quickly outgrow it and its essentially resources wasted that you could have used on upgrading your resource plots
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 14:11
The amount the vault protects compared to the minimal resources it requires to build (100 or so of each in total up to level 3) make it the best protection resources can buy.  Hopefully no new player will need the vault, but it's a reasonable precaution -- and in addition to protecting resources needed to build can also protect books to recast a rune.

Other players would probably happily help a new player who has been thieved with such resources, but for a player who prefers to be independent, a vault makes a lot of sense.

Plus, there's nothing like the satisfaction of frying some thieves on your rune AND realizing that the remaining thieves got away with absolutely nothing.  All pain, no gain for the thief -- that's a win in my book.

My recommendation about the vault have not changed since the first edition of the self defense guide, and I continue to think it's a reasonable choice for very new players.

Edited by Rill - 30 Mar 2014 at 14:11
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 17:37
I agree with the use of a vault for a new player, however one thing I think deserves mention is that to demolish requires research.
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 20:28
very true, bonfyr.  And the Demolition research is just after the Safeguard research in the city portion of the tree.  Coincidence?  Probably -- but handy anyway.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic