illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Badlands as an Arena for War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
KenRychard View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote KenRychard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Badlands as an Arena for War
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 01:16

This is pasted from my profile at the urging of some who have read it. Its not a unique idea, as Stukah of SIN has already proposed player/alliance initiated mini tournaments. And is perhaps what the developers had in mind for BL all along.

Concerning Landclaims

In my humble opinion, Landclaiming is the naturally occuring next step in the developement of alliances from loose organizations of like minded players into "nations". By settling together the alliance creates internal lines of communication for trade and war, thereby functioning in defense and offense not as an individual who might have nearby support, but as a collection of individuals with ASSURED support.  Eventually, the Badlands map will appear as a collection of alliance nationstates, and as those nationstates outgrow the land claimed, they will be forced to decide whether to contain their growth or battle with their neighbors for more land.

Whether early on, as alliances/players who object to landclaims fight, or later, as the landcliaming alliances seek to grow, war is the inevitable result of landclaims.

Illyriad is a relatively peaceful world becuase it is currently anarchic and decentralised. Individual players may have thousands of squares between cities, and alliances exist not geographically on the map, but as unions of players spread across the world. This very chaos is a deteriment to war, and landclaiming threatens this peace as the insecurity of anarchy is replaced with centers of power that create a sense of security and might which is a prelude to aggression.

Land Claims may well destroy Illryiad.  BUT...  warring over landclaims only makes that prediction come true more quickly...

Just Sayin....

A Proposal from a Rookie on the future of Elgea.....

As you can see from the above statement on landclaims, I am concerned for the futue and longevity of this unique realm which is posed by the question of landclaims. With a few more weeks experience, the outcome of the landclaim war, and the implementation of hostile factions in Badlands, I have a proposal which is probably NOT incitful or profound, but was what the intentions of the developers and players may well have been all along...

Gee, maybe we can play differently in The Badlands, while preserving the realtively peaceful status quo in Elgea.

Elgea stays as it is, a realm of trade, of generousity and mentoring, a realm where great alliances band together in opposition of those who would threaten this harmony.

And the Badlands becomes an arena for competition. For alliances who wish to form nationstates, to battle for lands, to fight honorably against NPC factions and other alliances.

I would prefer to see this be a "gentlemanly" wargame. Like the old days of meeting up in the backrooms of gamestores to play Avalon Hill wargames, or warring with minatures on replica fields of Gettysburg.  Where no one has all there cities raised, and we shake hands when all is done. Where those who don't wish to play as ladies and gentleman have the right to play that way, but also must suffer the consequences if others decide to stand against them. And where ALL the players agree the combat shall stay within Badlands, that players with cities in both Elgea and Badlands will involve only their Badlands cities in the fighting, their Elgea cities safe and sources of supply only.

Instead of waiting for the developers to offer a Tournament, the Badlands becomes a center for player/alliance initiated tournaments, 24hrs a day 7 days a week, and where you settle HERE at your own risk.

This way, we preserve the nature of Illyriafd which is unique, and broaden the game as well.

Perhaps we could utilize he Illyriad  Times to issue challenges in the open, instead of all this backroom plotting and he said she said accusations in GC...

Just my humble opinion....

Edited by KenRychard - 10 Aug 2015 at 01:18
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 02:35
You've verbalized the idea well. This is indeed the vision of many of the players who've come to TBL. I expect the usual suspects will add their snide two cents but the shape of things to come is still in the hands of those who've made an actual investment.
Bonfyr Verboo
Jax View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 02:43
What's Illyriad without war? 
I know many players look forward seeing it, but having war all the time is unneeded.  
Just like a country, alliances need to keep order from within. War doesn't help.
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 07:17
This all sounds great, but the reason Elgea is the way it is now is that that is how players have been mechanically incentivized to make it.  It's hard to just shake hands and move on when a razed city represents months or years of work and emotional investment.   People will try and protect their towns, and that means creating an atmosphere hostile to aggression.  Even those players involved in land claiming in BL are basically doing the same thing.  Alliances might be more centralized, but your expecting huge behavioral shifts that aren't likely to happen.  

Also, as a more specific side note, there is no way on Illyriad that a Elgea based alliance is going to hamstring itself in the defense of members settled in the Broken Lands.  If you want that sort of PvP, the best way to get it is to find a like-minded group and have it out with them.  And honestly, you could do that anywhere.  Nobody is going to get involved with consenting player playing how they mutually want.   
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 00:15
I beg to differ, Aurordan.  BL has proven to be different.  2 wars and 2 completely different styles of conduct with respect to peace terms.

SIN is proud to be a part of BL and what it stands for.  We want to encourage pvp not stifle it.  So far its working thats to our BL partners.  

Lets keep innovating the game and ignore the haters who cannot leave their comfort zone. 
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 05:02
I don't know that that was "hate" so much as an intellectual discussion of the factors at play, and I certainly wasn't telling anyone what they could or should do.  That said, two super minor wars may not be totally indicative of the ultimate fate of the area.  
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 13:29
I certainly wouldn't refer them as "super minor wars".  Nonetheless, I will keep on promoting an environment whereby pvp can flourish and you can continue to be cynical.  

Like the old saying, "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem".  I choose to be a part of the solution.
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 23:22
If you wish to claim land, go ahead and claim it. Just be prepared to be able to defend your land. Which is what all alliances who claim land know.
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 23:25
Originally posted by Stukahh Stukahh wrote:

I beg to differ, Aurordan.  BL has proven to be different.  2 wars and 2 completely different styles of conduct with respect to peace terms.

SIN is proud to be a part of BL and what it stands for.  We want to encourage pvp not stifle it.  So far its working thats to our BL partners.  

Lets keep innovating the game and ignore the haters who cannot leave their comfort zone. 

That is a sad part of life, people are not willing to change. BL seems like the ideal place for PVP. Seems like it's going to be an interesting place to watch.
jcx View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 06:28
/me throws Orcboy to BL! yay!
Disclaimer: The above is jcx|orcboy's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of Harmless? [H?] or of the little green men that have been following him all day.

jcx in H? | orcboy in H?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic