Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

An Experiment with Multiple Blockades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Experiment with Multiple Blockades
    Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 23:29
I was curious how blockades from different players and different cities might interact. So, I ran a little test and am sharing the results!

The Theory
Specifically, I was curious whether each blockade is tested in turn, and if so if they are tested in the order that they landed. So, if Blockade 1 lands before Blockade 2, then more blocked caravans would be sent to Blockade 1 than Blockade 2. If that's not the case, then it's unlikely blockades are checked in the order that they landed.

The Methodology
I had blockades from two cities, A and C, on a single city at the same time. A blockade from A landed first, followed shortly thereafter by a blockade from C. I then sent 30 separate caravans to the blockaded city, 1 caravan per order, and recorded the results.

The Results
Here's what happened to the 30 caravans:
  • 24 were blocked by A
  • 4 were blocked by C
  • 2 made it through unblocked

Now according to the Break Trade Embargo technology, which was in place, the caravans should have had a 30% chance to reach their destination. With one blockade, that would mean on average 9 of the 30 would get through. With a second blockade, checked separately, 30% of the 9 would get through, which would be between 2 and 3. As 2 got through, this seems to validate that each blockade is checked separately.

Now, 21 should have gotten through the first blockade, while only 6 or 7 should have gotten through the second blockade. This corresponds fairly closely to what we see, with A getting 24 blocks and C getting only 4.

The Conclusion
So, I conclude that it's likely that blockades are checked separately, and likely in the order that they landed.

The Caveat
However, there's a caveat. Blockade A was launched before Blockade C, so it's possible that the order is based on the time that they were launched, not the time that they landed. A further experiment could likely sort that out.

Thanks to Kojootti for helping with this test, and thanks for reading!
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 00:23
Addendum: a follow-up test sending caravans from the blockaded city produced the same result.
Hiei View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 00:34
Very good experiment Mafro. Good work!

Kind Regards,

Toki/Hiei
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic