illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative Sovereignty UI - WIP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative Sovereignty UI - WIP
    Posted: 17 May 2014 at 03:51
Thought I'd have a go at this. It takes data from the 'World Map'.

Screenshot here is at 200% browser zoom.
Graphics are the existing in-game assets.

For each sovereignty building, I've shown the equivalent in-town building, plus the resource that it enhances. To the bottom left is 'build level'/'claim level'. If build level is less than claim level, that text becomes red.

Todo:
* Add some indication of the terrain bonuses in the top-left.
* Add an icon for the currently-selected city.
* Colour the background cells slightly, to follow the existing sov colours. Current city will be slightly darker.
* Next to the current level, an up or down arrow if building or demolishing (from the Sovereignty listing), or if claiming sovereignty.
* For sov squares known to belong to this city, but that do not fit on this view, four 'gulley' areas around this grid (N, S, E, W) that have those squares in.
* See how many useful actions I can launch from a square pop-up (standard pop-up, plus Claim/Rescind Sov level, Upgrade/demolish building).
* Have some UI controls that show sovereignty expense, and the best-value upgrades.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 04:07
Nice
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 04:30
awesome!
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 04:52
You might not even need the text or background images. Just the X/Y and icon might do. All the sov icons would be unique.
Arctic55 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arctic55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 06:46
Sweet!   
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 15:15
Updated screenshots.

1: Town view (Safari, 200%)

2. Looking at other players' sovereignty. todo: I might replace × with level.

3. A test of all the sovereignty buildings (that I know of).

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 22:32
Looks good!  I suggest making the Fisheries icon a food icon as well, since that is what is produced (and you can only build Fisheries on those squares anyway).  Just as a way to idiot proof it for folks like me who will look at the pictures to see what is produced or sped up.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 00:58
Replies:
Indeed, the building icon is not necessary. If I need the space, then they disappear.
Fishery: I originally had it as a wheatsheaf - perhaps it should revert.

Next steps are to get some functionality in there, and use data from the sovereignty listing (which is not sitting in the background as data, but has to be parsed from what is displayed). I foresee the next session with this being next week.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 02:31
Quick update: those × squares denoting 'other owner' now replaced by sovereignty level and town name. There's also a boundary to help separate towns' sovereignty areas.

Aral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 03:41
Perhaps you could change their color to designate neutral, NAP, etc?  
Aral Llc is not responsible for any grievous bodily harm sustained while reading this signature. No rights reserved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic