Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alliance member Capacity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Increase alliance member capacity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [30.97%]
1 [0.88%]
77 [68.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 22:14
The size of the alliance is a tough question because it depends on if you want a lot of players having a lot of opportunity to rise and fall or a more realistic scenario where only a few come to dominate.  The first is probably more profitable for the company because it keeps mid-level and  hopeful players around as they have a stronger sense that they can rise to the top.  The second makes  it impossible for that to happen unless you get into one of the top alliances and thus, probably would discourage some players from full participation.  So it's a trade-off.

In addition, while 200 accounts is a lot, it's still an artificial barrier just like 100.  So you get 200 and everybody else gets 200 (or at least a few) and the game is dominated by 200 member alliances and their offspring/feeder/training alliances anyway so what's the point?  We would then probably be talking abut making the limit 300.

As for the opening of new lands making being an opportunity for alliances with 100 members to grow (by allowing more members), that is a difficult thing to decide.  Large alliances are large because they have mastered a lot of the game.  If they move/expand to dominate the new areas, which they can do more easily because of their size, will that not discourage the smaller alliances?  But is it fair to the larger alliances to tell them they can't expand?  Again, it's just the artificial barrier at work. 

If the game really wanted to reflect "reality" more it would allow unlimited alliances and super-alliances but have the cost of those alliances increase as their complexity increased.  Just as in  life the overhead of a company grows with the number of layers and complexity of the organization, so too should the cost to the alliance members.  Perhaps a tax for "wealth re-distribution"...LOL? 

In the end  it probably doesn't matter what the top size is, it's going to reflect the nature of the players and their goals.  No game can be fun for everybody, let's just try to be a community which takes an active part in making things fun for as many as possible.

Those are my "rather lengthy," thoughts.  What are yours?
Procheck View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Procheck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 22:16
Angry no new taxes!Clown  lol  100 is fine no reason to increase with the option of confederation.  With alts and dead sat accounts this could turn into a cheaters paradise! 200? why not 1000 lol  got to put a limit somewhere.  100 seems to be right to me.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 23:03
100 is quite enough, thanks.
Kurgar View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 03:44
The only significant difference when alliance number caps are changed is in communication.

It is easier to communicate within the game with 1 large alliance than 2 or 3 smaller ones working together.
Hiei View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 04:24
Sat accounts are being removed from the game, so that argument should not be valid anymore. 
Myr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 14:08
Few alliances achieve 100 members so I don't see that an increase is needed. I have a hard time keeping up with all the members in an alliance less than 100 and I would probably opt out of going larger.

Edit: Larger alliances have fewer options, you can only 'play' with other really big alliances. I think the small to mid sized alliance have the opportunity to have more fun in the game as there tends to be a lot of alliances near your size and you can have little wars without anyone taking much notice as long as you keep it off the forums and GC. Big alliances are good if you want the illy public to examine each move you make under a microscope before they dissect it and criticize it's structure.  

Edited by Myr - 03 Jun 2014 at 14:12
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 03:30
Originally posted by Hiei Hiei wrote:

Sat accounts are being removed from the game, so that argument should not be valid anymore. 

I'll believe that when I see it.

Besides, most permasats aren't in the parent alliance. They are sheltered in training alliances or off the books completely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic