Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alliance location/change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alliance location/change
    Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 07:57
With the upcoming factions going live, I believe illy in general is unprepared, I have the following predictions for the next year if factions are going to be as tough as currently thought. 

1. Increase of pure racial alliance and the decrease of mixed alliances, those alliances will center around factions that are friendly to the racial type. This will be due to the faction quests that are hinted at and the thought of special gifts that each faction that is friends with it could get unique gifts by being great friends with said alliances. 

2. Whole alliances will move to different locations to survive from locations that are good in theory but bad when you include warring factions. 

3. Prices of certain goods will increase due to the difficulties of obtaining goods while fighting off faction forces. 

4. Only the strong will survive in Calumnex fighting omen. At least 3 cities will fall to omen's forces. 

5. There will be at least 2 land claiming alliances that will end up going to war with factions to try and maintain there current land claims before either changing or moving. 

6. there will be an overall decrease in large alliances due to the difficulties in managing faction standings with so many factions and not getting any special benefits from any faction,  therefore they would be at a disadvantage when compared to smaller alliances that are allied to factions. 

Any thoughts or comments are more then welcomed.

Edited by demdigs - 01 Aug 2015 at 07:59
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 08:23
Originally posted by demdigs demdigs wrote:

5. There will be at least 2 land claiming alliances that will end up going to war with factions to try and maintain there current land claims before either changing or moving. 

That would be extremely cool! This would be yet another intriguing wrinkle to the land claim experience and certainly would not be a bad thing. You continue to be an oracle when it comes to land claim theory, demdigs! :-)

demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 09:20
let me expand upon my current thoughts, as faction standings change it will add stress in illy, for example say an alliance based in both elgea and tbl spread out throughout both, not only would individuals be stressed out managing the affairs of multiple factions and dealing with the repercussions of others in said alliance. Let us use the example of clan Bealagh, they are friendly with the other two clans but they are enemies of  the paravacones and the turyns, if such an alliance became friendly with either of them two due to the location or the composition of the alliance, things could become very difficult for the people near Clan Bealagh.  In addition to this, faction quests, and allied, they will be interesting, if for example, i am just doing theoretical right now but if argiri's faction quest gave out the spirit bow or gave it out once you became allied with them at +75 there would be pressure for elves to join pure elvish alliances and work to become that high of friends with them for that advantage alone. Add to that, if the faction is willing to help break sieges that will provide defensive protection add to the centralized pure alliances. All of these pressures and the advantages will eventually lead to the decrease of large scale alliances. or bring them to become clustered around certain factions in each of illy and tbl. 
Ashleigh Jayne View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashleigh Jayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 09:31
The movement to 'racially pure' alliances is an interesting point; whilst there are already some in existence, some may well decide that the simplicity that a single race would bring to 'group defence' would be worth the shift in members. 

However, I think that there will always be those alliances who will decide to remain mixed race, offering support to members as attacks happen, rather than using a more extreme method of defence. 

Overall, I agree that it will indeed have an impact upon alliance 'diplomacy' as it currently stands, particularly in light of the recent land claim wars.
^^^ Ashleigh Jayne (AKA) AJJ
demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 09:43
I will add one last thought for the moment, land claims as they stand now are not really feasible, nor where they that well thought out, for one, the alliances involved are not attuned to the local factions, nor are they necessarily planed out for factions going live, maybe if they were dedicated to a single faction, which they aren't nor are they friendly to the local factions. They seem to be placed in locations in spite of factions not attuned to factions, which is a subtle but very large difference. That difference probably will lead to multiple land claims falling, and alliances failing. An orc only alliance claiming land around free-orcs at this point may make sense, but an elvish alliance or an mixed alliance claiming around the same land would seem very foolhardy. The current mix seemed based around land types not faction types. 
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:33
I can only speak for SIN on this, but when we chose to settle in Fellandire -- some 9 months before we even considered a land claim -- we took the local factions into account. At present, our standing with the Overoad Traders is near-neutral, and they are slightly favorable to dwarves, which we have a fair number of. 

With Heirs of Voyldam, we're -20 across the board, but that is within the range only of "Will trade but at inflated prices." And we don't trade there.

twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 13:24
actually a strategy of land claim; confederation; and NAP will work well against factions and again I urge the devs to limit the amounts of confederations and NAPS each alliance is allowed and also restrict sitting to within alliance only..I also suggest movement of resources without trade or hub be restricted to alliance; confederation; or NAP and increase time out time lengths of switching out and into different alliances to days and not hours
Balrek View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 13:38
Originally posted by demdigs demdigs wrote:

An orc only alliance claiming land around free-orcs at this point may make sense, but an elvish alliance or an mixed alliance claiming around the same land would seem very foolhardy.

SCH have settled a few cities around the Free Orc hub of Vduch because they are an orc friendly faction.  It will be interesting to see how we can interact with the Free Orcs once they go fully live.

There is also another orc faction, the Guul-Hai who hate everybody.  The description given for the Free Orc  Vduch hub says 
"Vduch [Free Orcs]
The orcs of Vduch boast that they are the the finest hunters in Illyria - because, they say, while others hunt mortal beasts, they hunt ghosts. This seems to be a reference to the Guul-Hai, whom the Free Orcs view as an abomination, as corrupted orcs"

So maybe we'll get some faction quests where we need to work against the Guul-Hai.  Or maybe we'll just have a friendly local faction and also one we can fight against.
I have already had one human player in the region contact me about conducting a mock siege one one of my towns to see if the Free Orcs will come to assist.  Obviously this will need to wait until my standing reaches the correct level ......  going to be interesting though Thumbs Up

One thing people need to be aware of is the limits a negative factions standing puts on trading.  
At-35 a faction will not let you send resources or a trader to the hub.
But it goes further than that, it also prevents you from accepting any Buy or Sell orders from that hub.   If the faction refuse to trade you won't even see the hub listed in your town's Market Screen.

I have checked/confirmed this with some of the non orc players close to the Vduch hub.  

Not only does this impact on non orcs who may want res being limited to City<->City trades only, but it means Orc traders (such as myself) will only ever get hub buy & sell orders accepted by Orc players.

So player & alliance standings are certainly something an alliance should consider if settling around a particular hub.

B.

demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 14:44
Another major change I just thought of is, new players will be best advised to stay in the newb ring for a longer time, until they know for sure where they want to move, without that they might move into areas where they would get destroyed by the faction forces. 
Jadefae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jadefae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 16:37
Very interesting read :D I look forward to see how all this pans out!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic