Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Christmas Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 20:02
This one is going to come down to the final stretch Kurdruk.  There have been some fierce exchanges going down to the final hours at Ixenland in Perrigor, but it seems that nCrow must concede there.  We will fight on until the last book lands though. Praxitelis from BSH and Spira Colosis from PA, among others, racked up big wins against valiant defenses by amula, crash storm, Narol and others at that city.

Edited by Rill - 19 Dec 2011 at 01:15
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 21:01
The book has evaded nCrow's blockades at Ajay in Lucerna.  The van evaded HoneyBadger's blockade in that city.

This site was the scene of fierce fighting throughout the week, as nCrow cavalry attacks from Mr_Smiley, Cookieman and others took out defending forces primarily from PA, including Spira Colosis.

nCrow blockades were held by Cookieman, Tarsius, Rill and HoneyBadger.  HoneyBadger excelled with a last-minute cavalry charge to take out a blockade by Gypsy_Morph of BSH.

Edited by Rill - 19 Dec 2011 at 02:54
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 21:50
Vagabond from nCrow has fought off a last-minute charge by Badmut from Eagle's Eyrie to grab nCrow's first book of the week.  Well done Vagabond!
Badmuts View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 00:00
Vagabond did well and deserves that book. He kept me busy since Friday morning and stayed one step ahead of me. Also his reinforcements arrived in time for my final charge Ouch.

I still need to work a little on my timing, which is still way off.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 02:06
SonofCharlie caught the book at Ragallon after a hard fight with PA forces from Shamarra and others at that spot.  Cookieman again demonstrated his prowess with well-timed attacks.  Blockades from Tarsius and SonofCharlie were nipped in at the last minute after Cookieman cleared opposition forces.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 09:22
nCrow has captured the Taomist book.  These blockades were quiet as a mouse this week, with eight blockades surrounding the city except for a few hair-raising hours when one of my armies had to nip home for some R&R and Cookieman had to slide a new army in to take its place.  We were hoping no one noticed.

As for why eight blockades ... probably only other challenge participants could tell you why we did that.  Contrary to rumors it was NOT just because they look so pretty.  Although they do look pretty ...

Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:35
My commander "chief Bakhla the wise" captured another book, giving my theory, that only educated orcs are capable of reading, another confirmation Smile

Praxitelis defeated around 11K Cookieman's troops earlier this week in single attack. Cookieman was "foolish" enough to send those troops to close to Mal Motsha. 

Congratulations to all participants and organizers. Special congratulations to nCrows who won it. 

BSH didn't do that well. There might be several excuses for this:
- We were capturing books and most of the orcs are illiterate, if we were capturing beer we surely would do better LOL
- only one book target town was near Mal Motsha where 90% of our towns are.
- We sent our forces to long journeys instead to concentrate to towns near us.
LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 21:03
And the final scores are in!

And the result is:

Crows Nest: 15
Persona Armoniosa: 7
Eagles Eyrie: 7
Lords of Frost: 6
Black Skull Horde: 3

This week saw PA continue to rally, an awesome individual showing from Badmuts [EE] - who captured 3 books, despite being one of the smaller players involved - and some very heavy fighting (as already noted). But mostly, we saw a demonstration of the importance of teamwork: the last placed alliance had all captures by one player, the second to last had most of its captures by one player, and the winning alliance showed excellent teamwork and dedication from a broad range of its members.

Full details of the scores are here: http://illyolympics.wordpress.com/frost/

Finally, note that SunStorm offered 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes for 4 categories - individual achievement, alliance victory (one player to be selected by the winning alliance), players' choice, and underdog (smallest player to make a capture).

Now:
1) As there are 4 players tied for 2nd place in the individual category, I'd suggest that instead of 1st/2nd/3rd, we just split the prize pot between the top 5 players (neatly giving a share to one player from each alliance). But do shout if you think that's unreasonably soppy!
2) Could someone from each of nCrow, PA and EE please nominate a member to receive their reward.
3) Could people please message me in-game to nominate a player of your choice who you think contributed to everyone's enjoyment (only restrictions: please don't vote for anyone in your own alliance, and don't vote for me - I appreciate the many messages of thanks, but that isn't what this is about!)
4) For the underdogs, congratulations to the MANY under 10k pop players who captured books, but especially to Vagabond, Narol, and (joint 2nd place overall with just 4k pop!) Badmuts.

And lastly, that you to EVERYONE who took part - great fun, thank you all!

Edited by LordOfTheSwamp - 02 Jan 2012 at 21:05
"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Firess View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:22
I didn't actually realise this thread existed until today! How slack of me... Embarrassed

Thanks very much to the organisers. Even though Kurdruk sent the majority of my armies home in body bags Ouch  in the last week, I had loads of fun and have learnt a lot in the process!

Kurdruk, the invoice for grave stones is in the mail... Tongue

Thanks again! Clap

HATHALDIR View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:25
EE salutes Badmuts and he gets our prize!
There's worse blokes than me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic