Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Christmas Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 07:23
And this week's scores are in!

Just received this from Boukris, from the last day or two:

Joint 1st place: Crows Nest, 3 books, captured by Cookieman, (EOM) Harry and Rill, Persona Armoniosa, 3 books captured by Shamarra and Venita x2

Joint 3rd place: Eagles Eyrie, 2 books, captured by Firess and Vibs, Lords of Frost, 2 books, captured by Kurdruk and Revenent

5th place: Black Skull Horde, 1 book, captured by Bonaparta

That puts the total scores at:

Scores after 2/4 weeks:
- – -
Crows Nest: 6
Lords of Frost: 4
Persona Armoniosa: 4
Black Skull Horde: 2
Eagles Eyrie: 2
- – -
Individual Captures:
- – -
Cookieman [nCrow]: 3
Kurdruk [Frost]: 3
Bonaparta [BSH]: 2
(EOM) Harry [nCrow]: 2
Shamarra [PA]: 2
Venita [PA]: 2
Firess [EE]: 1
Revenent [Frost]: 1
Rill [nCrow]: 1
Vibs [EE]: 1

So, nCrow stretch their lead, EE and PA rally. Congratulations especially to the small and medium players who have snatched books.

"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 00:07
hey excellent competition!  Can latecomers join in?
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 02:56
Harry's allowed in?

That's not fair! ;)
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 03:47
I promised I'd keep an eye on him, Kumo.
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 15:28
Originally posted by Hugie Hugie wrote:

hey excellent competition!  Can latecomers join in?

Hugie -

This one is by arrangement, but I do have plans to run something that anyone can join in with.
"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 19:56

Uh oh, my brilliant theory crumbled to dust. Even my most educated commander "Chief Bakhla the wise" was unable to get new copy of the book and he likes to read Tolkring so much. Cry 

To put above massage in perspective, here is the part of a letter I wrote to Kurdruk a day or so ago:

Master Kurdruk, I would like to discuss the other matters of book catching tourney now.
Your advice in the forum about first blocking camp to catch the book can not be right as my commander chief Bakhla the wise was successful at catching the book even though two hostile armies were blocking the same town before him. Perhaps caravan evaded two enemy blocking camps, but I came up with another more brilliant theory. The only commander that caught both my copies of Tolkrings masterpiece was Chief Bakhla the wise (he was named so way before book catching tourney started). He is my only commander that can actually read. All my other commanders are illiterate as the skill of reading is considered a waste of time by most of the orcs, especially true for brutal military type. Of course my other commanders can not seize the book, if they dont know how to read and have no clue what books are. So I spent some time with my other commanders and tried to teach them how to read, but that was rather Sisyphus work. Some of them managed to remember how letter A looks like, but none of them got past letter B. Abandoning this impossible task I made a few replica book models and each of my commanders got one. Now at least they knew how the books look like. Ive send all four of my semi book wise commanders to block towns and then something terrible happened. All four of them were instantly returned to their origin towns by apparently great magician called GM. orcs are not used to such magical trickery and of course not even I was prepared for this diabolical transportation. i was so outraged on my commanders, to let this sorcery happen upon them, that I immediately executed them. Im teaching new set of commanders how to read. Perhaps I will be successful for the final shipment of books.

Edit: Text rainbow

Edited by Bonaparta - 12 Dec 2011 at 00:37
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 21:13
 lol, nice one Bonaparta!

nCrow can confirm that it is not always the first blockade on the scene that captures the book.  It's possible that it's randomly allotted, or there may be another factor.  Possibly size of the blockading army?

As for armies mysteriously repatriated to their towns by the powerful magic of the GMs -- what's up with that?  We had several armies of our own returned this round that were NOT associated with disappearing cities.  Our only possible conclusion thus far is that the GMs like Kurdruk better than they like us. Wink
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 20:54
Ah, I suspect that someone - GMs, the gods of Illy, etc. - actually like nCRow netter than the rest of us. Either that or we have to accept that nCrow are wonderfully well organised, and the other 4 of us (EE, Frost, BSH, PA) are a bit shambolic. Because one way or another, nCrow have started to run away with this...

Scores after 3/4 weeks - just one week to go:

- - -

Crows Nest: 12
Lords of Frost: 5
Persona Armoniosa: 5
Eagles Eyrie: 4
Black Skull Horde: 2

- - -

Individual Captures:

- - -

Cookieman [nCrow]: 4
Kurdruk [Frost]: 4
Bonaparta [BSH]: 2
(EOM) Harry [nCrow]: 3
Venita [PA]: 3
Firess [EE]: 2
Narol [nCrow]: 2
Rill [nCrow]: 2
Shamarra [PA]: 2
Badmut [EE]: 1
Revenent [Frost]: 1
Vagabond [nCrow]: 1
Vibs [EE]: 1

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 00:50
I like "well organised" as a description better than "disturbingly obsessive."

Congratulations to all of the nCrow players who have been contributing, and a tip of the hat to our competitors, who are not in the least shambolic, to which our battered armies and the ghosts of our commanders can attest.

I'd like to give a shout out to the nCrow players who have contributed thus far.  In particular BenDunder has provided leadership, tactical insight and coordination.

Cookie, Harry, Narol, Vagabond and I can testify that even though we might have been the lucky ones to catch books, it could not have been done without the scouting, reinforcement, strategic ideas and general support of many nCrow players, in particular the following (listed in the order they appear on our member roster, not by degree of contribution):

Belle of the Vale
Phoenix_470
amula
Erk
Mr_Smiley
Thorulfr
MidinightMisha
Mona Lisa
SonofCharlie
Wymara
asjeff
Auraya
Axilmeus
crash storm
Fughan Manlode
Georgio
Greyhawke
Heartfast
Honey Badger
Jibra'il
Le Roux
Richyrd
R-Man
Tarsius
Tigernach_Charlieson
Venadine

Working with amazing people like this cannot fail to make us successful.

Thanks once again to Kurdruk for creating this amazing challenge and to Boukris for coordinating sending the books.

Edited by Rill - 13 Dec 2011 at 01:01
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 10:10
The final set of books were sent out by Boukris yesterday, and this week has seen some very fierce fighting - and an evolution in peoples' tactics.

For scale of victories, BSH's hordes are hard to match, with praxitelis [BSH] still sitting in the top 5 battles this week,
4. praxitelis [BSH]Mon, Dec 12, 201110,683
which entirely eclipses my victory yesterday
5. You4,909
or the various 2-3k dead engagements (BTW, applause to Shamarra for engagements around Inverness)

The tactics certainly seem more complex (I have entirely lost track of what is happening around New, so congratulations in advance to whoever gets that) and there is a nice mix of big and small players pitching in (Frost's Herman the Just and Lady Eira attempting to take Frangor from EE was courageous, if optimistic, and I've seen armies around from other guys' small players.)

So, all good fun, and congratulations to all who have taken part. I look forward to seeing the final results!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic