Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

25AUG11 - Overall ranking and score

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 17:31
Originally posted by Kimmyeo Kimmyeo wrote:

I hope you read what you wrote and see how dumb it is. I have lost over 5 million points in the past 2 days. My score has gone down. No ones score should ever go down. period..... No abandoned player's score should go up either. no inactive account, of which there are many, should be gaining or losing points either. I know you're going to say they are still defending if someone attacks their town... Blah Blah Blah, fine give them that, but they shouldn't be taking away from anyone. you will never convince me this is fair. I cannot compete with a player that has over 800 million points, and has  gained over 1.5 billion points in magic and trade in the past couple days. Once they are #1, they can keep hammering everyone down down down...
No, no they can't - unless they continue to gain score in each category at a faster rate than the people below them in each category, and hence overall.

If your complaint is that the very biggest players in the game have an advantage in that they're bigger and can therefore outperform the players ranked below them (for as long as they're playing the game), than that's exactly the way the system is designed to work.  Players who perform better than other players rank higher than other players.

I can't explain it any more clearly than I have.

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 24 Sep 2020 at 17:33
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 20:26
Kimmyeo, i am really sorry you are losing ranking points because of me (and to some part Quentin).

Now the top players in the game are fighting it out in magic and trading and the rest of us are screwed because they are at such a level they can take points away from everyone else?

Quentin challenged me to a race for rank 1 until the end of the year some weeks ago. That is why he is putting an insane amount of resources into getting ranking points. I cannot really win the race (he is playing the game a lot longer and thus has a way better base score, i.e. he is leading in most ranking categories that are hard(er) to play like quest/build/attack/defense/diplo) but i tried to make it harder for him - thus i started getting points in magic again. Doleigh got magic rank 1 some days ago, thus i had to "fight" there anyway.

I cannot compete with a player that has over 800 million points, and has gained over 1.5 billion points in magic and trade in the past couple days.

Ranking points do not say that much in my opinion. You cannot compete with 2 players that have over 100 cities and know what they are doing. Getting more cities is by far the best and easiest way to get more ranking points in he long run and thus be more "competitive". I started the game a bit after you and put an insane amount of work in the game. Quentin is putting an insane amount of work in the game. That has to be (and should be) "rewarded" somehow.

but they shouldn't be taking away from anyone. you will never convince me this is fair.

A ranking system in a complex game like Illyriad is never really fair. Even the current ranking system is not really fair - as some categories are a lot easier to gain points in than others. It is by far the best and close to fair ranking system i know though and thus i really hope it is going to stay.

DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 00:06
Thank you for the in-depth explanation on how it works and why the more inactive players gain so much.
An example is the Number 1 Defense player gaining a lot of points since he clearly didn't care much about anything else but building kobolds :)
It has been fun to follow the Thirion vs Quentin battle. In some ways a bit annoying that it is influencing everyone but whatever. We will get over it.

Hope all are well.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 14:52
regardless of fairness etc, I'd rather the devs put development time into aoa/illyriad mechanics, than fiddling with scoring algorithms.

One of my first posts on this forum was a program for alliance overall scores. If you really have an issue with the way they are currently calculated, make an algorithm that prioritises what you want and, if it's a good idea, other players who care will follow.

Oh, and you ignore the one true overall rank; forum points.

Edited by eowan the short - 25 Sep 2020 at 14:52
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 11:24
Forum points :O I forgot about those...

Oh, and are you guys going to be rank gaining till new years or whats the deal... That might be a bit long?

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 23:45
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Winning.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 01:54
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Winning.

I will catch you one day... maybe... 
I'm only something like 200 points off the first page.
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic