Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

25AUG11 - Overall ranking and score

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daefis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 09:47
I'm close to researching everything in all 10 cities (working on last town now) but there's still quite a way to catch up with the number one spot for research so I wonder if there is also an element of RP earnt as well as spent?

Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Createure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by Daefis Daefis wrote:

I'm close to researching everything in all 10 cities (working on last town now) but there's still quite a way to catch up with the number one spot for research so I wonder if there is also an element of RP earnt as well as spent?

read up:
Quote I think people can get more than the score obtainable from max. research in 10 cities by destroying/losing cities after doing research in them.
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daefis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 23:13
Yep, read it and it's certainly the most likely answer but without facts we're still free to speculate.
Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonaparta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 11:16
You don't get research points for conquered town research already done. I guess you get more research if you lost a city and built another one...
Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 17:38
You can't tell me that someone is scoring so much right now, that most of us, at the level I am around have lost millions of points in the last 48 hours, while others have lost nothing. My perception is that you're playing favorites and changing things to make others happy. I have seen you do this before. So it makes me wonder why I am even trying to play this game.
Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 00:21
WHY HAVE I DROPPED OVER 20 POINTS IN THE RANKINGS IN A DAY???? Linking me to this forum post from 10 years ago isn't answering my question at all.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 03:19
Hi Kimmyeo,

I linked you to this forum post, explaining how overall score is calculated.  It's an automated system, and no one "intervenes" in it.  We don't play favourites.  

I can only urge you to reread the explanation and the maths behind it, and perhaps work towards improving your scores in other areas, to assist your overall (calculated) score.

SC

Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 04:06
Can you please explain the logic for why it is setup like that? Why is it fair for inactive players to get part of my points, or even abandoned accounts, I have seen them gain points. Now the top players in the game are fighting it out in magic and trading and the rest of us are screwed because they are at such a level they can take points away from everyone else? It just isn't fair. You'll have to explain it. Ouch
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 15:39
Originally posted by Kimmyeo Kimmyeo wrote:

Can you please explain the logic for why it is setup like that? Why is it fair for inactive players to get part of my points, or even abandoned accounts, I have seen them gain points.
Why inactive/abandoned accounts remain on the ranking tables
The world works this way.  Just because you stop playing competitive tennis does not mean someone takes away your prize money and trophies.  If you set a high score on an arcade game, you remain on the high score table even though you are not playing the game.  If something happens in the past, doesn't mean it should be 'un-happened'.

Why inactive/abandoned accounts might gain points
An account/town might be abandoned, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have defensive spells still running on it, or troops to defend it, or buildings/research to complete in the building and research queues - any/all of which would add to the category scores, even though the account is abandoned.

Additionally, because the overall score is a derived value, it is possible that an abandoned account can gain overall score points and ranking because of other players' actions in categories that the abandoned account was scoring weakly in.  See below for further explanation of how this works.

Originally posted by Kimmyeo Kimmyeo wrote:

Now the top players in the game are fighting it out in magic and trading and the rest of us are screwed because they are at such a level they can take points away from everyone else?
They aren't taking category score (eg Magic score, Attack score) away from *anyone* else.  

Your category score (in whichever specific category you like to look at) does not go down, in any way, because of the actions of other players.  Your defense category score, or magic category score, or research category score will never go down.  Your category ranking, however, might go down, because someone else's category score has bettered yours.

Your overall score - as it is a derived field according to the formula on page one of this thread - will fluctuate, as it is a derived value from the sum of all the category scores, factoring in the relative difficulty to get points scored in each different category.

The reason it takes into account all the scores in the same category (ie the "total category pool of all the available points in that category") is because different types of category score are easier/harder to get than others.  

For example, it is much easier to get 1 million points in (eg) Magic than it is to get 1 million points in Attack, so the scores for each category are normalised to the total category pool, to balance them out.  The achievability of 1 million points is therefore self-normalising.  

If everyone can get 1 million points in magic very easily, then 1 million points in magic is worth a lot less than 1 million points in Attack.  Dividing an individual's category score by the total category pool normalises the ranking when the categories are combined to create an overall score and allows us to compare apples (Magic Score) with pears (Attack Score) as a self-normalising system of relative category effort and relative individual effort within that category.

So, yes, if two top players battle it out in magic, and you are ranked below both of them, it will make the total category pool for the magic category much larger, whilst leaving everyone else's individual category score in the magic category unchanged. 

This will push *everyone* - except those two players - to a lower overall score.  How much this affects an individual player's overall score and overall ranking will depend entirely on how contingent/sensitive that particular players' overall score is dependent on their performance in the magic category score.  

In this example, if you rank highly overall but have a very poor magic score, then your overall points score won't drop by much.  If you rank highly overall, and are hugely reliant on your Magic score to prop up your overall score, then your overall points score will drop much further - because magic score's contribution to overall score has been devalued relative to (eg) Attack score or any other category of score except Magic.

There are players in the Top 10 Overall Score ranking who aren't in the Top 20 for certain categories of score - and if they improved their ranking in the categories where they are underperforming, their overall score will improve, and others, ranked below them, will reduce.

---

This system of calculating a derived overall score and ranking has been in place for more than a decade, entirely unchanged since we put in a small fix many, many years ago (2013? 2014?)

Is the system perfect?  We don't think so, which is why, 18 months ago, we published a public consultation on a potential way of changing the overall score algorithm but received (at best) a luke-warm response to our proposal, and (more clearly) quite a lot of negative reaction - so we didn't go any further with the proposal.

---
tldr;
I hope this answers your questions.  You are in the same boat as everyone else.  You are not losing score in any score category because of the actions of others, but you might lose ranking if someone else's score passes your own.  

Your derived overall score will fluctuate according to the total pool of available points in each category, which normalises relative performance and required effort to get points across dissimilar point categories (eg Attack and Magic, and all the others).

Best wishes,

SC

EDIT: Fixed bolds, tidied up score names

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 24 Sep 2020 at 15:45
Kimmyeo View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimmyeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 16:57
I hope you read what you wrote and see how dumb it is. I have lost over 5 million points in the past 2 days. My score has gone down. No ones score should ever go down. period..... No abandoned player's score should go up either. no inactive account, of which there are many, should be gaining or losing points either. I know you're going to say they are still defending if someone attacks their town... Blah Blah Blah, fine give them that, but they shouldn't be taking away from anyone. you will never convince me this is fair. I cannot compete with a player that has over 800 million points, and has  gained over 1.5 billion points in magic and trade in the past couple days. Once they are #1, they can keep hammering everyone down down down...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic