Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

25AUG11 - Overall ranking and score

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by wouterverbraak wouterverbraak wrote:

What is the formula used to determine the technology ranking?

Wild guess, research points spent in finished researches.  Please say if that theory fits what you see, I'm too lazy to check it over five towns.
Captain Ganoes Paran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ganoes Paran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:53
it could be just the number  finished research ( regardless of how much they cost )
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 18:28
I'm pretty sure it's total research points.  Although it could be some sort of complex % research completed sort of thing.  Would be hard to tell the difference.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Createure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:38
I'm not sure but I think people can get more than the score obtainable from max. research in 10 cities by destroying/losing cities after doing research in them. Guess that is just another thing to be thrown in the 'scores shown are totally unrepresentative' bag if it's true. Kudos to anyone who is bothered to grind away building+razing a city just to get to #1 score though lol... personally I'm not bothered grinding at magic, diplos, quests, trade etc. for artificial score though obviously some folks are.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:41
I can't be bothered with grinding at things like quests. Imo, the only important rankings are research, population, and defense (not in that order). If someone is high in all three of those, then they are, imo, a force to be reckoned with...
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:42
I think I have noticed that when I capture a city I don't get a "bump" in my research score for research already completed in that city.  So it's possible that people who capture a lot of cities, particularly those with a bunch of research completed, will end up with lower scores.

My research ranking is still higher than my population ranking, but I expect this is a reflection of the fact that my account has rather less population than do most accounts of its "age."  I've completed research in two of my seven cities and am getting closer on some of the others.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Createure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:58
Agree those are the top 3 I look at usually Kumo... although even defense could be artificially raised given enough of that 'grind' spirit and some friends/alt not too bothered about their army.

The one that bothers me most though is Trade... I could easily bounce my own trade score from outside the top 100 up to the top spot in just 1 day and obviously it would not reflect the actual amount of genuine market participation I had had with other players.

Edited by Createure - 17 Apr 2012 at 20:02
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 20:06
I have been having fun trying to get my trade "wedge" to show up in the pie of my rankings.  This is a challenge for me partially because my cities are in the middle of nowhere and partially because I still don't produce much of a surplus of advanced resources.  Thus my trade score is made up almost entirely of exports of basic resources (and some occasional small saddle purchases from Kelis).  You can almost see the light-orange wedge now!

Trade score and trade rank can be manipulated easily, but in some ways I find it more fun to climb in this area the "hard" way.  My trade rank, alas, is still much lower than my population rank, but I'm working on it -- not because I really care what my rank is, but because it's an interesting challenge and because I like to explore the range of activities Illy offers.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Createure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 23:13
I think that raises a good point Rill. I guess at the moment the %age of your overall score that each skill contributes to (hence the size of your 'wedge') is based on your score relative to the top ranked guy's score... this is fine for something like pop or tech... also perhaps for something like attack/defense/quest/magic which aren't truly glitchable just need a huge amount of grind... but for stuff you that can just bomb up artificially (like trade) then everyone who doesn't glitch it is gonna have a very low score compared to the top guy.

My point about this maybe best demonstrated by an example: My trade and diplo rankings are both around rank #100 at the moment, they contribute to 1.9% and 1.78% of my total score, very low because the guys with the top scores can rack up huge scores artificially... at the same time I'm around rank #50 with tech and this counts for 40.9% of my total score because the people at the top cannot easily grind out huge scores above the framework of normal game play. Even for something like pop which is around #200 for me at the moment, its contribution to my total is like 20%... I don't get why that should contribute like ten times as much to my total score as other aspects like diplo when there's more than twice as many people above me in pop as diplo, just because the guy at the top of diplo grinds a LOT.

If you look at it another way... if you're the guy at the top of the trade rankings you can effectively nerf everyone else's 'wedges' by glitching out another 10B points...

Maybe a better way would be to include an element of people's ranking in the weighting towards their total score rather than 100% of the weight coming from your score relative to the top person's score.

And if you're reading this please don't interpret it is a rant. I would certainly enjoy it if the ranking system was upgraded to make it a little more meaningful... but obviously I'm not upset by how it is now. I'd much rather see dev work pushing the game forward than fretting about old and ultimately relatively inconsequential stuff like the ranking page. Also I appreciate that with the game running 2 years already you can't exactly easily nerf people's current scores by changing the system... cos even though I used words like 'glitching' there's actually nothing technically wrong or against the rules about grinding score out artificially and people that have worked hard towards a top rank won't want to lose that.

It's a tough topic I guess... but interesting to think about. Maybe I'll save some probing questions about it for the next live-chat. Evil Smile
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 03:43
My observation is that tech score is RP spent.  Capturing cities hampers tech score for this reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic