illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2014, New player questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Dragonwort View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonwort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 12:55
@ Daufer,

Thanks for the info...very helpful. I've tried my luck at hunting and mostly lost many troops for a few hides. This tells me that there are upgrades to help with that problem. I've started using scouts and have read the NPC difficulty material which is good for knowing which NPCs are tougher to defeat. I'm still looking for a guide for number of troops vs NPCs. I've been told that not enough and you're wiped out (well acquainted with this scenario) and too many increases your losses and the need for re-recruiting...if true that would make exacting troop count very important. 

Hunting is on the shelf ftm while I tend to other growth priorities but I'm sure to use the info when I resume hunting..thanks again Smile Dragonwort
Daufer View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daufer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by Dragonwort Dragonwort wrote:

@ Daufer,

Thanks for the info...very helpful. I've tried my luck at hunting and mostly lost many troops for a few hides. This tells me that there are upgrades to help with that problem. I've started using scouts and have read the NPC difficulty material which is good for knowing which NPCs are tougher to defeat. I'm still looking for a guide for number of troops vs NPCs. I've been told that not enough and you're wiped out (well acquainted with this scenario) and too many increases your losses and the need for re-recruiting...if true that would make exacting troop count very important. 

Hunting is on the shelf ftm while I tend to other growth priorities but I'm sure to use the info when I resume hunting..thanks again Smile Dragonwort

Helpful Tip #1:  When hunting NPCs for hides focus on creatures like rats, wild dogs and wolves.  They are the weakest critters out there with defense scores that average in the 4-6 range.  The best troops to attack them with for a human will be cavalry, with attack scores ten times as high.  Work on getting your barracks up toward 15 and doing the research for cavalry before you worry too much about hunting.  At lower levels you can attack with infantry and still get decent results, but attacking with weak bow or spear units tends to bring poor kill:loss rations.

Helpful Tip #2:  Make several strong offensive commanders (men-at-arms, charioteers, knights) and level up their Heroism skill.  Put all of the commanders into a single army of multiple divisions and add 70-100 offensive troops.  Heroism increases the attack power of each commander by a factor of 6 or 7 per level BUT their max attack power cannot be higher than the total attack power of the units in the army with them.  A single knight commander with Heroism 10 can reach an attack power of 3500 or more if he has enough troops to power him up.  usually about 70 troops of his type will do the trick.  An army of 50 knights and four heroic knight commanders has more than 16,000 attack power, enough to wipe out hundreds of rats with minimal casualties.
Daufer View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daufer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 16:09
Originally posted by Impedious Impedious wrote:

Hey I am a  Lord of Ultima refugee so I am trying to find how this compares
1)  Are there mass battles involving dozens or even 100's of players
2) Is there an end game or does it go on forever
3) Do you have hundreds of cities or just few but more detailed
4) Alliances are really important as in LoU or just a minor issue
5) Are troops just a number or are they more detailed
6) Does Electronic Arts have anything to do with this game
7) Haven't figured out if there is goal to meet 

1: Wars between major alliances tend to revolve around sieges, with dozens of players on one side reinforcing the siege camps and dozens on the other side trying to eliminate them.  I have seen battles involving over a million troops and there were probably bigger ones that I wasn't a part of.  Coordinated offensives involving multiple alliances in a single battle are also possible but timing such operations can be tricky.  Unless one side has a gross numerical advantage however, tactics and coordination will often win over brute force.

2: There is no set ending date when "the winner" will be announced and the server will reset.  You basically play as long as you are having fun.  If your idea of fun is military however, be aware that politics and diplomacy will make or break you.

3: Up to ten cities per account and up to two accounts.  The first few cities come pretty fast, the ninth and tenth take a lot more time and effort.  Cities can specialize in manufacturing, trading, harvesting or military units.  It is usually worthwhile to specialize each town to do one thing very well rather than try to make a city dabble in everything.

4: Alliances and inter-alliance diplomacy are vital if you want to do anything remotely military.  If you just want to chat, sell items and resources and watch your city grow you can usually thrive without an alliance as long as you make more friends than enemies.

5: There are four basic military unit types, two for attack and two for defense.  Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and thrives in some situations while struggling in others.  Each race has one unit type that is better than comparable units made by other races, so many players specialize in one troop type.  Others may have a certain military role in their alliance and specialize based on their function.  Then there are the diplomat units such as the scouts who count troops in your city and the assassins who kill your commanders, the spies that find out what you are building and the saboteurs that burn those buildings down, and the thieves who descend like locusts to "redistribute" your wealth.

6:  No, not that I know of

7: The only real goal is to have fun.  That can mean cornering the chainmail market, getting the highest questing score in the game, building the biggest city, having the most formidable army you can make, fighting wars, helping feuding alliances negotiate peace, or just hanging with friends in the chat room.  You can pretty much do what turns you on unless someone bigger and meaner makes you stop.
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 16:27
Got another question for you vets.

When looking at the stats of crafted items you see, for example: "+12% defence against cavalry" or "-5% speed", and I get that.

But when you read something like: "+8% against animals" or "+6% for elves", does that mean in attack or defence or both?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 17:46
Both attack and defense.
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 19:46
OK, ready for another one? (two, actually)

If I equip only half of my units with crafted weapons  and I suffer ~50% losses in a battle, will I leave 50% of the weapons on the battlefield or none?

Is all the equipment dropped after a battle recoverable (with cotters) or is some of it lost forever?

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 20:09
You will leave approximately 50% of the weapons on the battle.  However, if you equip your commander and your commander survives, he will keep the weapons.  Thus some people ONLY equip the commander for battles against NPCs.

Some equipment will be lost forever; only a percentage is recovered.  The exception to this is fighting in a city; in this case 100% of the equipment (from both sides) drops into the city's inventory.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 21:41
Rill, I believe only defenders in the city have a 100% drop rate. Attackers against cities seem to have the same drop rate as field battles (which is far less than 50% in my experience). The only exception I've heard is the drop rates on draught horses when attacking a city with catapults; people claim that's 100%, for whatever reason.
Dragonwort View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonwort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 23:47
Okay, another newbie question: What are factions? They seem to be small groups within an alliance..BUT why? Why are they formed and what purpose do they serve?

I've seen things like the Council of Five? OR The circle of Nine? or some such and I wonder what they do...Can someone explain?..thanks..Confused Dragonwort
Daufer View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daufer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 23:55
Originally posted by Dragonwort Dragonwort wrote:

Okay, another newbie question: What are factions? They seem to be small groups within an alliance..BUT why? Why are they formed and what purpose do they serve?

I've seen things like the Council of Five? OR The circle of Nine? or some such and I wonder what they do...Can someone explain?..thanks..Confused Dragonwort

Factions are NPC groups that will eventually function like alliances, trading with or possibly warring with their neighbors depending on their programming and your actions toward them.  For the moment their only function is to provide flavor text for the various trading hubs located around the map and to occasionally litter the map with small NPC camps, but one day there should be more to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic