illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

18FEB20 - PRESTIGE PRICING CHANGES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 23:38
Originally posted by Thirion Thirion wrote:

I completely disagree with your post. I do not expect something from nothing or something free. I am happy to pay (and did pay my more then my fair share) for games i like and enjoy.

In addition i am big enough as a player to not really care about the Prestige price - i can generate a lot of gold to buy whatever i want. Thus the Prestige price changes affect me a lot less compared to new or smaller players.

The inflation argument might work well for conventional products - it is in my opinion quite different for digital producst. Thus you have to be a bit more careful with your argumentation.

Conventional products (lets take an apple for an example) have a fixed production price and thus inflation matters a lot. In addition the maximal amount of sales to a person is limited (somebody that usually buys 10 apples a week isn't going to buy 10 million because of a sale). Digital products are a lot different as first the production price is a lot harder to calculate and second you can buy an almost infinite amount of the product and use it.

This means that for digial products it is an option to e.g. half the price if you expect that a lot more people buy the products. In my experience as a trader bigger players tend to spend a specific amount of money to sell Prestige and not buying for a specific amount of gold.

The point i was trying to make is that the changes are in my opinion bad for the game and bad for player retention. In my opinion the changes are going to have the opposite effect - instead of getting more money they are going to get less.

You are looking at the problem in terms of what you think the customers are willing to pay. You are entitled to your opinion. But, the costs experienced by the team that delivers illyriad are subject to inflation. Since we can deduce from the illyriad accounts and constant prestige prices that this is a labour of love as opposed to a real money spinner, the prices do need to increase or illyriad will eventually die. Its your choice and everyone elses. We support the devs or the game dies. Its that simple.
Ruarc View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 09:24

Thus the Prestige price should increase even faster then in the last year (as far as i remember it doubled in the last year). This means that for new players it gets harder and harder to get more cities, and because of that more and more new players are going to stop playing - which is unhealthy for the game.

There are 40 prestige scraps available in Centrum now for 27 million each, and another 100 scraps available for around 29 million each. I don't recall a time when scraps were worth 15 million each, I'm pretty sure that they've always been 25-26 million. Right? I'm not just mis-remembering that? Wasn't the whole reason why a terra costs ~25 million because that was roughly the price of a prestige scrap?

Also, I think you're right that the new tournament system fundamentally changes the paradigm in Illy shifting it away from hording massive armies with huge gold burn on a daily basis and towards being able to rapidly recruit large armies with significantly less gold burn. But, I don't see a connection between that shift and prestige. Sure, some players might finance large armies with prestige they're more likely to finance them with gold farms on a second account.

I do not have a better solution other then "we need more players". I do think though that increasing the Prestige price is not going to have the desired effect of getting more money with Prestige sales.

This is the key point I think. Increasing prestige prices might result in less prestige being bought with money. I imagine though that Illyriad Games have thought this through, and will monitor revenue streams going forward. If the price increase does result in less revenue then they'll (presumably) drop the price. If not then they won't and prestige will become slightly more expensive (scraps will probably rise to 30-35m?), but still available to all via gold purchase and the free daily prestige bonus.
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 09:55
I remember buying scraps at 14-18million not too long ago. Might've been late 2018, early 2019 - Then someone sweeped in and bought everything and set a new standard, raising the prices again. I believe it was Thirion or Ellania. It has gone up and down like that one or two times, where it drops down below 20mil and it goes up to 26-29mil again.

In my opinion the prestige prices have been much too low for way too long, and I think it has been intentional for some of the time whilst it has also been "what shall we do, and when" for some of the time too. Finding the right moment in time to do a thing like raising prices on a currency in an mmo, be it browser or anything else, is quite hard. There was just a prestige sale in late December and there will probably be another sale within 3-6months from the release of new prices. Now was actually quite a good time to do it.
The tryhards have already built up their 40town accounts,
The PvPers are doing what they always do and this wont affect them much,
New players will not notice the difference,
Traders have so much gold anyway and they will just make more now,
Ossian will keep trolling and being angry at people,
Bill's posts will still get deleted by Cerb,
Starry will keep farming,
and Malek will never return for real again anyway.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 17:00
Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

I remember buying scraps at 14-18million not too long ago. Might've been late 2018, early 2019 - Then someone sweeped in and bought everything and set a new standard, raising the prices again. I believe it was Thirion or Ellania. It has gone up and down like that one or two times, where it drops down below 20mil and it goes up to 26-29mil again.

All monopolies in the market are temporary.  The goal is to have such a monopoly before your competition re-establishes itself.

The mentioned decline in price was due to PvP as IRON was burning through gold and caused a glut in the market and scrap prices fell.  The lull in PvP and shift in maintaining armies due to tournaments will cause another adjustment in the market.  And, yes, the price to purchase prestige with real funds will also contribute.

A player base that prefers building, trading, and tournaments will necessitate a market that is different than another base that may vary in preference of game play (or size).  With increased prestige prices on the market we may see the incentive for the PvP to return.

Good luck to all!
Snagglepuss View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagglepuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 17:14
I see the price raise as inevitable and reasonable. Thank you for all your hard work, and I think the realistic among the citizenry, while maybe probably not being happy about it (who is ever happy when prices are raised?), understand and will deal with this. Those pushing the "Illy is no longer a happy place" agenda" , obviously don't see the new players and camaraderie in GC. 
Snagglepuss View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snagglepuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 18:13
The Devs aren't implying the price of digital items is the main cause of the price raise. The devs use the money made from selling digital items to but conventional items? If the price of conventional items they have to buy to survive goes up, they cant raise the price of their digital product accordingly? That seems a but unfair simply because the product they sell is digital.
Thirion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thirion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2020 at 19:35
Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

Ellania is my alt, thus Thirion and Ellania are the same players. I am the main Prestige trader for a few years now. I am doing it mostly for (easy) ranking points - thus its hard and not profitable for newer traders to compete.

The Prestige price is COMPLETELY dependant on demand and supply. If the price is too low then i run out of Prestige, if the price is high enough usually some players are selling some Prestige.

Best example is at the moment - i raised the price because i sold a lot (because of the announcement) and soon after that Count Rupert started selling Prestige too.

The low price early 2019 you described was because players sold a lot more Prestige then people buying - thus the Prestige price crashed.

As i already said, the goal of the game should be to increase player base and keep new players playing (more players -> more Prestige sales -> more money for the devs). In my opinion raising the Prestige price isn't going to help with that.
lsxrule View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsxrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 01:21
I feel I was one of the biggest buyers of Prestige over the last 2-3 years at $350.00 per month american. It was absolutley necessary to keep my  armies alive and Thirion was one of my main buyers. I recently lost most of my troops due to RL issues and almost abandoned because of this.  I  have strted rebuilding and getting back into the game but I can say at 90 something dollars american a Tome, my purchaces will likely stop completely.  I did buy 2 or 3 tomes during the sale last month. I have always heard there used to be sales back in the day but I had never seen one. Lower prices will equal more sales. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic