Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yarr/Tuf
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yarr/Tuf

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 626
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 14:56
ajqtrz, I think you should take a deep breath, count to 10, and go back and read my post, since I think you missed the crux of my argument. And my statement was neither pro- nor anti-YARR or TUF, for that matter.

If you look at what I said, I was making the argument that, in my opinion and experience in fighting wars, sovereignty plays a key role and can lead to a small alliance defeating a larger opponent. You said, "all things being equal," but all things are not equal, and the fact is, in spite of being outnumbered in terms of towns and players, TUF has a better sov-to-town ratio than YARR. YARR only has 5.7 squares claimed per town, versus TUF, which has 10.16 claimed -- nearly double. There are a lot of small, sov-less towns in YARR. I'm not putting YARR down by saying this -- both alliances are still growing alliances.

This is one metric that is an indicator of war-readiness. 

If you need an example of where a smaller alliance has competed well against a larger alliance, you need only look to SIN's current war, where we successfully fought against the #1 and #4 alliances in the game (according to land) when we were originally ranked #14. In this case, both SHARK and VIC had superior sov, player counts, and towns, however, I would suspect that much of their sov was food-based in order to support large cities. SIN's sov is entirely troop-focused. So, while our opponents had large standing armies, we were probably able to our produce them.

Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

The problem is you assume that there are superior techniques of warfare in Illy that somehow the big alliances have missed and that we, a small one, can use against them.  Do send me an IGM with a list of those secret techniques as I could use them now.

I don't assume it -- I know it to be true. In addition to having superior troop sov, developing winning war strategies at the strategic and tactical levels, and being able to execute them, are major equalizing factors that can allow a smaller alliance like TUF to compete against what at face value appears to be a much more powerful adversary. Our alliance has assembled some of the best war minds in the game (of which I do not claim to be one), and that is a decided advantage. Moreover, every one in SIN executes our war plans superbly well, and by out-executing our opponents, we're able to win.

As a now-seasoned warrior, I'd like to think that your leader Agalloch himself would agree with this -- just look at his cities and sov, he clearly is already a player who understands this.

 

Back to Top
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 552
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 14:57
Actually AJ, best you learn from lessons. Classic example is Shark and VIC. Once number 1 and 4 respectively are what now? They went up against an upstart alliance just featuring in the top 20. Its all about generals and how you fight. Like I said earlier, stop whining and looking for excuses. You are based in YARR land and if your alliance wants to remain there you will have to fight. Other option is just move. Ball is in your court.
Kaggen is my human half
Back to Top
Urian View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 15:39
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

In my opinion it's that some of the Yarr members (a small minority no doubt) got their little feelings hurt a few months ago and don't have the stomach to re-form their own alliance and stand on their own two feet.  So they hide in the folds of a bigger alliance and provoke them to attack without cause or need.  Some people are just too good at playing others for a fool and getting them to do the work they are too scared and unable to do themselves.

AJ

Opinions are like armpits, everyone has a couple and they stink.
Back to Top
Urian View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 15:46
Maybe we should claim Almenly too, while we are at it.
Back to Top
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 24 May 2014
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 500
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 16:26
Originally posted by Urian Urian wrote:

Maybe we should claim Almenly too, while we are at it.


With my small enclave in Almenly and the rest of Almenly already Yarr dominated it would appear the 6 attacks you've already launched against my cities are attempting that already.  This just reflects the "aggressive game play" strategy of some alliances and thus proves that they have no intention of leaving anybody alone until they have taken over the entire playground and everybody is subservient to them.  So much for a free Illy.  I do think you know the word for that type of behavior on the playground so I'll not repeat it here.

AJ
Back to Top
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 552
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 16:34
Good stuff YARR. If you claim it and can keep it, it is yours. AJ, you need to stop whining, leave the military alliance you are not suited for, and move your cities to Elgea where your gameplay style is better suited. The rest of TuF seem to have stopped moaning and hopefully are getting ready for a good fight.
Kaggen is my human half
Back to Top
Curmudgeon View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn


Joined: 05 Jul 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 60
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 16:37
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:


In my opinion it's that some of the Yarr members (a small minority no doubt) got their little feelings hurt a few months ago and don't have the stomach to re-form their own alliance and stand on their own two feet.  So they hide in the folds of a bigger alliance and provoke them to attack without cause or need.  Some people are just too good at playing others for a fool and getting them to do the work they are too scared and unable to do themselves.

AJ


Well I was going to stay out of it, but this is nonsense.

Kratos led Death into an idiot war against TUF while both Duran (then The Honey Badger) and I were known to be away from the game. Aga was very gracious in letting Death off the hook with a white peace on our return. We openly acknowledged that at the time and continue to do so.


Edited by Curmudgeon - 04 May 2016 at 16:40
Back to Top
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 24 May 2014
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 500
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 16:45
Jejune.  Thanks for pointing one of the ways TUF is superior at this time.  So we have more sov per city.  Let's do some math: 175 cities with 10 squares of sov on average = 1750 sov squares.  395 cities with 5 squares of sov on average = 1925.  I think I said, "ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL?"  If you are going to start using math at least do the math.  Furthermore, I'm quite certain you know that you can ADD sov.  You can add squares and raise their levels.  As an experienced player you also know that if you have 395 cities you can ADD more sov than an alliance with 175 cities.  Are you trying to say Yarr won't add sov?  I thought not.  So, starting out roughly equal and having a lot more cities to which to add sov means that, in the long run, the bigger alliance will end up with more sov.  Right?  Sometimes I wonder if people just pick numbers to re-enforce their point of view and pretend things just aren't what they are.  Yarr is a lot lager than TUF.  Yarr has more cities and more sov.  ALL THINGS ARE NOT EQUAL.  And pretending otherwise to justify the war is just being disingenuous. 

I do recognize that your post did not intend to take sides...but by justifying the war as even a mildly "fair fight" you do take sides.  What you ought to be doing is finding out the exact and explicit justification Yarr is using.  You will find they have a more flimsy excuse than dLords.  In other words, they have next to no reason to do this.  The justice of a war is not in the power of the sides but in the strength of their arguments for making war.  Yarr has no reasons to give and thus, gives none that any rational payer would recognize.  In fact, one of their players said to me they "feel" justified.  Whoopee for their "feelings," now give me their reasons.  And if you can find no reason for the aggression, I invite you to join us and fight for a free Illy where wars have to be founded on just reasons.

So this war is unjust and unjustified.  I keep challenging anybody to give any real reason for the attacks and so far, other than the claim that Pawa is also a Yarr claimed land, I find nothing.  Not even a snippet of AC where somebody makes some off hand joke about taking some mine from Yarr.  At least dlords had that flimsy excuse, as patently lame as it is.

AJ

Back to Top
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 552
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 17:13
AJ, you seem keen to moan and do the numbers. Shark and VIC outnumbered SIN in all aspects and yet got totally crushed. Again I urge you to stop whining, suck it up and either fight or make a run for Elgea. Looking for a reason why people attack you in a war game is the same as standing on the beach screaming at the waves to stop destroying your sand castle you built at the low tide mark.
Kaggen is my human half
Back to Top
Urian View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2016
Status: Offline
Points: 18
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 17:14
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

I invite you to join us and fight for a free Illy where wars have to be founded on just reasons.
So this war is unjust and unjustified.  I find nothing.  At least dlords had that flimsy excuse, as patently lame as it is.

Nothing has to be founded on "just reasons". It's a game. 
And that would be a just enough reason for those who want play the game . You are just adding the drama.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.07
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd.