Topic Closedwhaever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 15:01
Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

Hey look I see my name from here!  No one?

aww

Because Jane,  For the past...8 months ive been whispering, and biding, and "dying" for my cause.  Illy has already been globally dominated and i'd love to see an illy revolution sprak upin the next few years.  That doesn't make me a troll, it makes me a player who's willing to risk himself and his friends "who will do so on their own accord" for the future of illy.  and it brings a hefty war to anyone still here in 1-2 years.

Back to topic.

A saboteur that can destroy siege engines would be cool, how to make it so the attacking army has a chance to defend itself though..

shame ur account gets out before u grew big enough.
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 15:24
Sigh....I give up.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 17:37

Hey look I see my name from here!  No one?

aww

Because Jane,  For the past...8 months ive been whispering, and biding, and "dying" for my cause.  Illy has already been globally dominated and i'd love to see an illy revolution sprak upin the next few years.  That doesn't make me a troll, it makes me a player who's willing to risk himself and his friends "who will do so on their own accord" for the future of illy.  and it brings a hefty war to anyone still here in 1-2 years.

Back to topic.

A saboteur that can destroy siege engines would be cool, how to make it so the attacking army has a chance to defend itself though..

Kurf, I don't think Jane was calling anyone a troll or being sarcastic.  I think she was probably trying to make a helpful suggestion that was germane to the topic of the thread, although not perhaps exactly where you wanted to go with it.

I also happen to think a Kurf vs. StJude match would be lots of fun to watch.

Saboteurs to destroy siege engines would be interesting, or possibly town features (like defensive towers) that could throw fire at the siege engines.  This would increase the potential for defensively minded players such as myself.  I'm picturing towers that would have upkeeplike troops but not be mobile, sort of like the scribes you get from the mysteries.  Maybe something to bring up in the suggestions forum.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 18:34
There already was a kurf vs stjude battle.  In the EoQ vs KT skirmishes.

a siege tower like idea rill?
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 19:00

There already was a kurf vs stjude battle.  In the EoQ vs KT skirmishes.

a siege tower like idea rill?

I was thinking like wall fortifications that would have the power to attack sieging forces.  So like towers with archers to shoot flaming arrows.  (With the "archers" being a built-in component of the unit.)
Erik Dirk View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 03:12
Again the problem with this ballistic tower idea is that it would have to be EPIC!!! against sieges, as in the order of 50 000% better than cav in breaking a siege. Otherwise an alliance built for defence would be pointless as they wouldn't be effective at defending each other.
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 03:19
Originally posted by Erik Dirk Erik Dirk wrote:

Again the problem with this ballistic tower idea is that it would have to be EPIC!!! against sieges, as in the order of 50 000% better than cav in breaking a siege. Otherwise an alliance built for defence would be pointless as they wouldn't be effective at defending each other.

reallife fact walls werent awesome archery towers inflicted minor casualties
the real battle if a breach was attempted was fought on the walls and the city streets
not the massive thousands of casualties that is like to thaught of.
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Erik Dirk View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 03:59
Lorre my post was a balance issue only. If the tower requires upkeep it needs to be that good because it can't be used to defend another town. Where as cav can help break a siege on any town. I certainly DON'T think archer towers should be 50 000% better for upkeep that's why my defensive suggestions involved Dyadin mess halls or illy trade council guard house, or in the case of towers make them free, but the units using them are free to move towns.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 04:22
What most people haven't experienced is a successful sally forth...

I was on the receiving end of one in the White war & it's damn effective... All you need to do is get the siege engines down, not the attacking forces... (probably giving away tactical advice now... But folks need to know)

It works if folks can even have some sort of semblance of organization...

Edited by Kumomoto - 08 Oct 2011 at 04:24
Erik Dirk View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 05:08
But doesn't the sally forth only take the engines down for 4 hrs, therefore the attackers get 8 bombardments in per day so it only holds up the siege by 66%. Surely it'd be better to make a successful sally hold up a siege for 10 hrs. 
This would mean a successful sally could hold up a single siege indefinitely. However 2 or more siege camps on a single city would become far more effective, and create opportunity for more diverse siege strategy.
Oh and sally forth while the siege is setting up to re-set the timer would also be a fairer system.

Also at the moment sally forth can never break a siege, sally forth should be able to break a siege. One possibility is if the sally forth army takes less than 50% casualties then the same army immediately attacks 1/3 of the remaining siege camp. If the sally forth army again takes less than 50% casualties then the siege camp breaks and flees.

Edited by Erik Dirk - 08 Oct 2011 at 05:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic