FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUSER INTERFACE VERSION 2 (UIv2) - Feedback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Tolf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 16:29
I suggest a "max zoom out" button for world map.
If we manually zoom out it is more clicks which annoys players and servers, so it'll benefit everyone^^

And I support The_Dudes suggestion to include City Name (at least) in "non-combat combat-reports"!

Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:07
1. City Map: minor inconsistency - highlighted building objects have different size than unhighlighted. Might just be a different alpha/scaling method used for the highlighted variant.
2. Trade movements: list of caravans could provide an additional data item: number of free caravans waiting at the city.
3. World Map: make the region names bigger and alpha-blended. If the text is big enough and lacks contrast, then it will not obscure the underlying map graphics.
4. World Map: seems to take a while to load up on /20 zoom. (speculation follows, as I don't know how it works - delete if out-of-scope) Consider (a) requesting assets once, then drawing to canvas, to cut down on requests (b) a compact data format for downloading the map data, rather than display code, (c) local storage/cache of partitioned terrain data and MD5 querying of areas to optimize refreshes.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:25
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

1. City Map: minor inconsistency - highlighted building objects have different size than unhighlighted. Might just be a different alpha/scaling method used for the highlighted variant.
2. Trade movements: list of caravans could provide an additional data item: number of free caravans waiting at the city.
3. World Map: make the region names bigger and alpha-blended. If the text is big enough and lacks contrast, then it will not obscure the underlying map graphics.
4. World Map: seems to take a while to load up on /20 zoom. (speculation follows, as I don't know how it works - delete if out-of-scope) Consider (a) requesting assets once, then drawing to canvas, to cut down on requests (b) a compact data format for downloading the map data, rather than display code, (c) local storage/cache of partitioned terrain data and MD5 querying of areas to optimize refreshes.

Yes, Canvas-isation of the Town and World maps is very much on the dev path, and will give us much more flexibility/speed when it's there. 

FYI, the delay in requesting a Zoom 15 vs a Zoom 5 is 95% at the client browser end rather than the server end; it's not a request issue, it's a "browser able to cope with # of assets" issue - and this too will be vastly improved in a Canvas environment.

Other suggestions seem to make good sense and worth trying out (esp the Region Name one).

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 11 May 2011 at 17:26
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:29
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

Have you been reading the dev forums? Wink

Or rather we think its a very good idea... Big smile
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:41
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

Have you been reading the dev forums? Wink
Or rather we think its a very good idea... Big smile

Just registered and landed here, via "GM SC" 's link in GC. Didn't look for dev; thought it would be off limits, and this forum was for collecting feedback :) Will have a look, but I won't re-post the above.
Edit: I can't even _find_ dev forums!

Edit 2: OK, I fell for it :o)

Edited by Albatross - 11 May 2011 at 18:07
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 17:55
TC was being a little "tongue-in-cheek."  We do not have access to dev forums.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 20:21
Suggestion: Change the Resources Summary line "Total Food Consumed"
Now that I know what it means, it's OK, but beginners might be thrown by it...

I had assumed (in error) that it was a total of the rows above (as happens on real balance sheets when you use the word "total"), but then I couldn't find what was eating my food in the rows above. Suggest either breaking this row down into a sub-table with formatting that shows the hierarchy, or removing "Total" from "Total Food Consumed", or saying where it is consumed, e.g. "Food consumed in building upkeep".

Scratch the above - 10 idiot points to me. Consumption = population.

Edited by Albatross - 12 May 2011 at 00:09
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 21:30
1. The coloured buttons containing numbers, above the big roundels (e.g. Your caravan movements, other players' movements, active nuilding, active research, mail notifications, etc...) could do with a bigger clickable hyperlink region, i.e. make the whole button a DIV with hyperlink.
2. Could you extend the 'satellite icons' principle to the buildings in the City Map? This would give access to related pages with one less click. Might scare new users though, unless you make them appear only as they become avaiable.
3. Trade Buy/Sell: have another box: unit price. Entry is valid if [quantity AND (unit price OR total price) are filled]. Trap any silly values with confirmation, to cover the scenario where the wrong box is filled in, e.g. ask confirmation if "<0.1x" or ">10x" typical market price.

Edited by Albatross - 11 May 2011 at 21:31
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 23:11
Last one for a while...
I find that I have to dig through pages to get info on the timed events that I'm waiting for.

Suggestion: custom watches. Next to any timed event row (caravans moving, research, etc), have an 'eye' icon. Clicking on that puts a its progress bar in a collapsible 'custom watches' section of the Events panel. They would remain visible no matter which city you were currently in, and may be individually removed.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 14:10
1. Trade Graphs: need 3sf on the y-axis digit. Marks with '1', '1', '2', '2' take a bit of deciphering.
2. Building upgrades: if you're on a page where "building queue full" or "insufficient resources" is displayed, then in the background, that situation is resolved, then it's difficult to refresh the page to get the 'Build' button back (navigate to a different page, then back again - 2 or 3 slow clicks). Suggest adding a timer to re-poll after the building queue is due to clear (prestige invocation is a different matter though).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic