Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUI suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: UI suggestions
    Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 21:56
Military Armies: it'd be nice to be able to move a division from one army to another, e.g. by drag-and-drop, instead of having to disband it and then reconstitute it inside the other army.

Marketplace production: number to produce input box; has greyed value 1000; greyed values are used in some places elsewhere to hint at the most I can produce; and the text to the right of the box says "max", hinting that this means the same; but I can't make 1000 caravans, skinners or miners (all list 1000 here) due to lack of horses; and I can at most make as many skinners and miners as their respective guild levels. The greyed value could be the actual max I can ask for ! Similar for cotters and number of cottages.

When I'm upgrading something, it shows me present benefit (output rate for basic resources, speed of caravans for market, etc.) and benefit after the next update I could queue, but no longer shows me the benefit I'll be getting when the present upgrade is complete. I not infrequently forget how much that is, which can make it hard to plan (in the interval between starting the upgrade and its completion) what to do next. Similarly for the food that'll be consumed per hour once the current upgrade completes; it'd be nice if these remained on display, in some way (e.g. see next).

The "works in progress" box wastes space - the "queue position" datum could be skipped (start and the progress bar make it clear enough when it's in progress; and, when it isn't, I can only have one queued item, so it's obviously in that position in the queue) and the Action column could be changed to a "To level" column, with just a number in it; if greater than current level, we're upgrading, if less we're demolishing. The freed up space could then be used for other data, or to widen the progress bar.

When City Wall is upgrading, its "Upgrade Further" box over-lies the picture of the city wall, such that the column for wood, and those to the left of it, are largely unreadable. It may be relevant that my browser window is 986 by 1507; however, I tried making it wider, and this didn't help. I have the browser zoomed to 110%, but changing zoom level didn't make any difference, either.

Demolition is handled clumsily. If a demolition is in progress and I queue some building, the demolition is shown in the "next in queue" space in both the city view and the Next Events box, with the building in the "current" space, albeit the demolition is what's got a moving slider. When the demolition is complete (in this case, from level 13 down to level 12), the Notifications tab says: "Storehouse L12 completed", which isn't really a faithful account of events !

Protected by Vault: having a separate column for this is kinda icky; it's not a resource type in its own right. How about: the existing first five columns for basic resources, blue/green on a beige background - but the bottom portion of the beige background is pink, indicating how much of the columns is protected. The pink is an even depth "behind" the five columns, across their width and a little to the right; the space for the present sixth column is now free; from the right end of the top of the pink to a convenient height beside the labels, the pink fans out or in to meet its label text and show its meaning - along the lines of (sorry the image is kinda messy - Gimp and I don't understand each other):

Various of the top-bar's primary icons have green, purplish and sometimes red boxes at their tops, indicating stuff to pay attention to, that you can find out about from the pages to which they give you access. It would be nice to use the same idiom for (at least) quests on the world map icon; e.g. use green for number of New quests available for the currently-selected town; maybe use purplish for new herald articles, release notes, tournament announcements, red for when the daily freebie is available for collection.

Global Rankings -- I may be odd, but a page on which I recognise no names, that's part of a vast list of insanely many pages (currently 742), isn't really of much interest. It's the detail I might take an interest in sometimes, but I'd sooner at least start out on a summary, e.g. a simple bar chart or histogram showing my positions in the nine rankings, out of the total number of players, with my numbers of points in each, something like:

Overall        .....|.......   2897470
        Quest           ..|..........      1309
        Population      .....|.......      1964
        Attack          .....|.......       118
        Defense        ...|.........        0
        Diplomacy       ...|.........        4
        Trade           ..|..........        0
        Research        ......|......     92550
        Magic           ......|......        87

Then each ranking-name (Overall, &c.) can be a link to the page currently given. It may make sense to display both graphic and numeric values for both position relative to the population of players and score (out of some sensible max, e.g. that of the highest player, in the given category), where the above uses graphic for the former and numeric for the latter. It may make sense to truncate a bar in the diagram at the point where all players to the right have zero, as for Defense and Trade above; or grey out the part of the bar that corresponds to the vast mass of players with a zero score.

Eddy.
tallica View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 23:54
Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

Military Armies: it'd be nice to be able to move a division from one army to another, e.g. by drag-and-drop, instead of having to disband it and then reconstitute it inside the other army.

This would be a nice update to army organization.

Quote Marketplace production: number to produce input box; has greyed value 1000; greyed values are used in some places elsewhere to hint at the most I can produce; and the text to the right of the box says "max", hinting that this means the same; but I can't make 1000 caravans, skinners or miners (all list 1000 here) due to lack of horses; and I can at most make as many skinners and miners as their respective guild levels. The greyed value could be the actual max I can ask for ! Similar for cotters and number of cottages.

When I'm upgrading something, it shows me present benefit (output rate for basic resources, speed of caravans for market, etc.) and benefit after the next update I could queue, but no longer shows me the benefit I'll be getting when the present upgrade is complete. I not infrequently forget how much that is, which can make it hard to plan (in the interval between starting the upgrade and its completion) what to do next. Similarly for the food that'll be consumed per hour once the current upgrade completes; it'd be nice if these remained on display, in some way (e.g. see next).

The first part here would certainly be nice to have fixed. In advanced resource production queues the numbers work fine, but in unit production queues they do not. The second part I don't see a real need for this. Worst case you build too far and don't need the extra level now or go red on food, which you then correct. No big deal.

Quote When City Wall is upgrading, its "Upgrade Further" box over-lies the picture of the city wall, such that the column for wood, and those to the left of it, are largely unreadable. It may be relevant that my browser window is 986 by 1507; however, I tried making it wider, and this didn't help. I have the browser zoomed to 110%, but changing zoom level didn't make any difference, either.

Demolition is handled clumsily. If a demolition is in progress and I queue some building, the demolition is shown in the "next in queue" space in both the city view and the Next Events box, with the building in the "current" space, albeit the demolition is what's got a moving slider. When the demolition is complete (in this case, from level 13 down to level 12), the Notifications tab says: "Storehouse L12 completed", which isn't really a faithful account of events !

The City Wall page is certainly a mess and the whole thing needs to be redone, it would be nice to have a clickable interface on the wall for building (rather than needing to go through the Castle) and the food upkeep currently does not work (Walls have 0 food upkeep regardless of what is shown). As for Demolition, I have an open petition on that which was posted 8/27/11...

I like your idea for the inventory page, something simple like a background coloring for how much the vault protects would be nicer than the current set up (of course the vault needs another buff before it can be considered viable).

As for the colored numbers around the Seals, I'd like to keep it as Green = mine, Blue/Purple = yours, Red = hostile (I don't like the change to the mail/notification coloring).

Lastly, your Rankings issue sounds like you want to see your personal player rankings in bar chart, which is a thing. If you click on your face (to go to your profile) then click on Rankings, you'll see your personal breakdown. Besides that, the Global Rankings show your position and score compared to those closed in ranking to you, which you can also sort by category. I don't see a need for change in the Global Ranking page.

Now, time to get in line, we all have great ideas and I'm sure the devs have taken a few of our suggestions and added them to their ever growing list (added to the end of course, somewhere between pathfinding and oblivion, I hope!).
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 13:36
Originally posted by tallica tallica wrote:

Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

I don't see a real need for this. Worst case you build too far and don't need the extra level now or go red on food, which you then correct. No big deal.
I think your "worst case you can undo it" is a fine example of how those with well-established cities forget how unwelcome it is, when building the first few cities, to waste any resources at all ! I realise basic resources become practically a waste-product once you have a few cities well-established, but those building up from scratch regret every bit of waste.

(of course the vault needs another buff before it can be considered viable).
Indeed; I don't find the vault to be a compelling use for one of my woefully few building sites.

As for the colored numbers around the Seals, I'd like to keep it as Green = mine, Blue/Purple = yours, Red = hostile (I don't like the change to the mail/notification coloring).
Actually, the change to the mail/notification stuff makes sense to me - changing what colours are used avoids conflict with the well-established red-is-bad &c. idiom.

Lastly, your Rankings issue sounds like you want to see your personal player rankings in bar chart, which is a thing. If you click on your face (to go to your profile) then click on Rankings, you'll see your personal breakdown.

Ah ! I hadn't seen that - thanks for telling me where to find it.
I find the charts displayed somewhat confusing, but they're more like what I want, yes.

Now, time to get in line, we all have great ideas and I'm sure the devs have taken a few of our suggestions and added them to their ever growing list (added to the end of course, somewhere between pathfinding and oblivion, I hope!).
Oh, indeed - but if we don't post our ideas, the devs don't get the option of pilfering them for start-points from which to come up with something better. I've been accumulating these for a few weeks and decided I had enough to make it worth posting them.

Eddy.
Hoddmimir View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 16:53
I love every one of these suggestions. They are the small things that really make a difference if you ask me and I was thinking of suggesting some of them myself. 

I support this. 
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 15:06
On the demolition clumsiness: above, I quoted what's said when the demolition completes; its starting is equally comical: "[something else] completed at [city]. Construction of Cottage L0 has now begun." Again, I get what it means, but the phrasing is back-to-front !

Eddy.
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 18:29
Another thing I'd really like is a display, for the currently selected city, of all buildings in the city (including the non-existent ones I could build, if I had a site free) with the data on how much time and resource it would take to build them; a spreadsheet-style display, with a button for each city to initiate its building. I want to be able to see it sorted by time-to-complete (either that's the default, or there's some way to get it), since one of the uses of this tabular form is to work out which things I can get completed in my present play-session and which ones are good to leave running until I can next find time to play.

It would be nice to also include support for a user-specified priority ordering, to help me keep track of which ones I want to upgrade sooner and which ones can wait upon my convenience; and, while I'm wishing, it'd be nice to have some indication of which researches in the tree are currently blocked on a given building, and how many levels away is the point at which they're unlocked. (For specificity: the research tree is divided into things I have researched, in the given city, and things that I haven't; the boundary consists of things waiting to be researched (green) and things I can't research (grey) because they need some building to reach a level; it's these last that I mean by "blocked on a given building"; anything that I can't research because of a prerequisite research isn't one of these.)

The table should distinguish amounts of resources according to availability; i.e. if the amount of wood needed for a building's upgrade is more than I have in stock, it could be displayed in red, where the amount of rock for the same thing is in black because I have enough of that. Ideally, the red one would also have some kind of indication (possibly on hover) of how long the current rate of production shall take to make up the deficit. Then again, this is a feature I'd like in the present display, within the page for the given building.

Eddy.
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 19:53
Related to the "all buildings in this city" tabular display, I'd also like an "all my cities" tabular display, with each city's row indicating resource and currency levels and production (the "top bar" data) and the "Next Events" details.

One possibility for the display, within this, of resource levels and production would be a sort of sideways version of the inventory page's view of storage capacity vs resources; something like:

wood 12345 ============++ +83 p/h
clay 9876 ==========+++ +125 p/h
iron   271 =+              +47 p/h
rock 54321 =====+++       +117 p/h
food   987 =+              +15 p/h

with the == part protected by vault and the +++ part indicating rate of growth; I suggest it actually be scaled to show one day's growth (rather than on hour's) on the chart. Either way, this may involve it over-flowing the markings (not shown here) indicating the storage capacity.

With a design along these lines, the amounts involved can be shown using (fairly) conventional slider-bars, giving a compact (and sideways) form of the familiar storage usage chart from the Inventory page. For resources, within a storage constraint, a graphical depiction is particularly desirable; for currencies, the plain numbers should suffice.

As for my earlier suggestion on the vault, its part could be indicated by colouring the back-ground of the sliders, rather than the relevant portions of the sliders themselves.

Eddy.
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 00:27
A simple addition that'd be really nice in chat: if I type [123|456] it automagically becomes the relevant link, i.e. <a href="http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/123/456">[123|456]</a> or, better, the relevant magic that, when clicked, pops up the menu of things one could do to that location (send diplomats, etc.), as used most places in mail (although some just link to "view centred in map").

This would greatly simplify many things - for example: newb asks for resources, says where - now it's easy for everyone to send it; someone sees something interesting happening somewhere (e.g. one of those really impressive battles we sometimes get), tells everyone else where to look to see it; alliance leader calls for attacks on or reinforcements for a city, includes location, alliance gets there with less fuss. Would incidentally get folk more into the habit of typing locations using the same notation as the game.

Edited by Eddy - 13 Dec 2012 at 00:28

Eddy.
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 00:34
More on demolition:

While demolishing a cottage: the City Map's top showed an inactive slider for the upgrade of something actually queued after it, on the left; and displayed the demolition to the right as "Currently Queued", with a time above it counting down. These are the wrong way round, just as they are in Next Events. Once complete, the demolition remained displayed, with "Completed..." in place of the count-down (but was at least removed from the Next Events); and the cottage remained in view, with a hammer waving above it. Clicking on it got me the empty plot dialog, correctly.

While demolishing a storehouse, with another level of demolition queued, however, everything is done right: Next Events shows both, with the currently active one on top; City Map shows both, with the active one on the left, with a slider bar that updates suitably.

Eddy.
Eddy View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 17:13
Stray thought, decide for yourselves if it's worth it:

I can use prestige to buy speed-ups on trade units, which is often quite handy (especially when allies have sent heaps of basic resources from several cities to one of mine). Sometimes, however, I wish I could slow some units down (e.g. I've just sent a slow army to kill some monsters and want some fast harvesters to arrive just after them): either I'm going to be busy when they need to set off, in order to arrive at the right time; or I've just sent them and realised, to my horror, that they'll arrive too soon (and get killed by the monsters). Having the option to slow my units (e.g. by a factor of two) would be useful in these cases.

One can argue about whether it'd be reasonable to offer this also for military or diplomatic units, whether it should be cheaper than speeding up, etc.; I'm not too fussed. The case for it to be cheaper includes the fact that it'd apply to other units (in the same box of the relevant movement page). The case for applying to more than just trade is that it wouldn't confer an unfair advantage. The case against it (generally) includes complicating the UI.

It's only mostly harmless to others. I could apply it to my out-going caravan after whoever I've sent it to has seen what it's carrying and dispatched a caravan carrying some agreed goods in exchange. They'll still get my goods; but the time of arrival might have been important to how much they were willing to pay. Of course, they could counter by spending some prestige of their own, but I've still played them foul !

Eddy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic