Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TVM - SHARK Conflict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Halcyon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halcyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 21:33
A few things about what Zenorra wrote above:

Shark does not refuse to negotiate. We were offered nothing by TVM but: "get out". Shark does not say to TVM: "get out", we say that we can coexist in peace. Shark's strategic move into New Lands does not instruct our members to settle in TVM's land claim. It says that we are interested in placing towns in NewLands and that we do not recognize land claims when this interferes with our strategic objective. We do respect the 10 squares convention and have not placed a town inside TVM's 10 squares.

The PVP agreement between Lorcan and Odoacer did not include relocation of towns and I have proof of THAT.

Lorcan did recall his siege of 87 bombardment units before Shark armies were able to arrive. Shark did not pursue Lorcan, but a few days later attacks from Lorcan and several other TVM leaders hit Odo's town. Shark sent attacks against these TVM leaders. At this time I am not aware of any sieges sent on both sides.

Shark did not decide to pick on TVM. Jujune pointed out that TVM claims a large portion in the middle of Broken Lands. We wish to be in the same area. The difference between us is that we are willing to coexist. There is no reason for war between Shark and TVM or the DSD. Shark holds no hostile intentions towards TVM or the DSD.

Peace.

Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 22:03
Originally posted by Halcyon Halcyon wrote:

Shark did not decide to pick on TVM. Jejune pointed out that TVM claims a large portion in the middle of Broken Lands. We wish to be in the same area. 

Make no mistake: Newlands is prime location for a militarized alliance. Its central position and relative number of plains plots makes it ideal to build a kind of "base" that would allow a TVM or Shark to reach key areas of the BL quickly, whether it was in a tournament or in a real war. Over the past 6-9 months, the rise of alliances in the immediate center of BL, such as Shu-Han, B!B, Hansa, BRO, Stark, plus other Elgean alliances' satellite clusters, all make it a region worth dominating.

I'm not sure that I agree that Shark has moved into Newlands with daisies in the barrels of their guns -- I think that the composition of players who have moved there -- military-oriented accounts mostly -- indicates that they wanted to challenge TVM in Newlands, if not in outright war, then in a kind of "land grab."

The factor here is that TVM settled into Southern Newlands and put a land claim into force and is now enforcing it. Shark is bumping up against that. There is probably a short-term diplomatic solution to what's happening now, but it won't stem the continued build-up of both alliances in the region. It's like an arms race, and an increase in city density from both alliances absent of a grand bargain sets the stage for medium- to long-term regional friction. In my opinion.

Edited by Jejune - 15 Sep 2015 at 22:04

Halcyon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halcyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 22:22
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

I'm not sure that I agree that Shark has moved into Newlands with daisies in the barrels of their guns

You are correct. They were Daffodils.
Pico View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 22:29
Very good point made by Jejune, and it´s exactly why Shark decided around 6 months ago, to make Newlands our base in BL. Being one of the top alliances in the game, having a base in the middle of BL provides us with the opportunity to reach out to different regions in a more efficient way.

The only alliance that I have seen that likes to challenge other players or alliances into pvp or war is Sin. Nothing wrong with that, I can respect that style of play. But it seems to me quite clear, specially after the Stomp war, that 95% of the people that play this game, do not want to engage in war, they are happy with building their towns, trading and killing npcs. I´m pretty sure that there are few members in each alliance that are military oriented and would like to see more action in the game, and that probably makes up the 5% difference.

The point is that Shark does not want to engage in a war and to suggest that we are looking to provoke DSD or an alliance with a land claim is dead wrong. I think is based on a couple of factors: Some players like to troll, others want to provoke war, others think they know the facts and condemn the actions according to their criteria.

We will continue to protect our members and their towns. And I sincerely hope this does not escalate into a server war.
Bulani View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 23:21
I am by no means the expert here, however, it would seem to me it would be better for SHARK's peaceful message to be delivered by someone other then the one who started the STOMP/Landclaim war. Now I do not claim to know what Shark's motives are or what they want, but come on. Pico's I'm here in peace is more then a bit of a stretch..... Just saying.

Edited by Bulani - 15 Sep 2015 at 23:24
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 00:25
Originally posted by JodaMyth JodaMyth wrote:

As it stands it's a matter of alliance vs alliance which is slowly (or rapidly in Illy terms) devolving into confed vs confed.
Most conflicts in Illyriad escalate slowly into confed vs. confed. That is the primary source of political gridlock in the game. It also creates a situation where conflicts can creep slowly towards all-or-nothing scenarios.
Originally posted by JodaMyth JodaMyth wrote:

Seeing the previous server war mentioned though suggests to me there is some old bitterness still left over on either side
You're joking, right? The entire last server war was motivated by bitterness from the first server war. The next game war is usually motivated by residual bad feelings from the last one. That's how persistent MMORTS politics function.

Given that strong tendency, it seems reasonable to want some physical distance between your former adversaries and your alliance core. Even considering the tactical relevance of the Newlands, these moves seem like a conspicuous coincidence given the sour history between the participants and the recent fighting in the Broken Lands.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 00:39
Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Very good point made by Jejune, and it´s exactly why Shark decided around 6 months ago, to make Newlands our base in BL. Being one of the top alliances in the game, having a base in the middle of BL provides us with the opportunity to reach out to different regions in a more efficient way.
so...i *think* what i just read is that DARK is building in Newlands as a forward military base so that it can efficiently extend military operations to any area of BL. is that what was meant? because if it is, then this...

The point is that Shark does not want to engage in a war and to suggest that we are looking to provoke DSD or an alliance with a land claim is dead wrong.

...can only really mean that it would prefer that others abandon *their* tactical goals (where they conflict with DARK's) without giving it the trouble of a fight. i am a great admirer of the effective use of soft power. this post seems to undermine it.
Pico View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 00:47
What it means is that there are 7 adjecent regions to Newlands, taking the water out of the picture, and during a tourney Shark can decide which of those 7 regions best suits our interest.

I appreciate the comment Angrim.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 01:07

What it means is that there are 7 adjecent regions to Newlands, taking the water out of the picture, and during a tourney Shark can decide which of those 7 regions best suits our interest.
not believing we will see another tournament, i hadn't considered them. thank you for the clarification.
Pico View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 01:34
My pleasure Angrim.

Shark was expecting a tourney to take place around April or May, considering that the last one took place around that time frame in 2014.

Under Duke´s leadership, when BL broke out, he suggested we make our hub in Chulbran, for which a few members sent settlers or exoed towns there. After Duke left, with new leadership, and Shade merging with Dark, and becoming the top alliance in the game, we decided that a better fit for us would be Newlands, for the reasons I have already expressed.

I personally believe TVM is trying to provoke us into war. Lorcan´s igms do not reflect the contrary. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic