Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Trade hub development: Where to send merchants?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrade hub development: Where to send merchants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NAAM Spokesman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2012 at 19:28

Approach to subsume:

Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

I'll be honest about the hubs..i dont know nothing about them..its a part of the game i havent spent the time or energy to explore this part of the game yet...

With players not using markets it should be possible to make most profit! :)

We believe, in the longer run more and more people will be interested in a more decentralised trade network. Probably we can define three different kinds of hub/trade strategies (the alliance hub might be strategy/hub number four).

Local (the closest hub to your city/capital):

Originally posted by Yeesha
D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

-products can be stored and stockpiled easily and nearby

-caravans aren't ages away from home to deliver goods

-from monopoly to oligopol as a more vivid marketform (competition instead of accepting Centrum hub as a pricemaker for everything)

-you make market occurence more attractive for smaller players, as they can join the market developments without having own traders

-shaping plurality in giving a local market an individual charakter (local products might be cheaper then in far away western border states and vice versa). In other words: regional appearance of goods would get more important

You want to store stuff and sell primary resources. But it can be worth selling other things as well for players that do not care about having a well-developed trade structure and newbs. For that reasons I do not think there will be many hubs that will be completely dead. Eventually these hubs even allow the largest profit.

Regional (the hubs proposed here): They should offer much more activity so it makes sense to coordinate (that is why we started this thread and make the map).

D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

-by accepting trade offers you assure a quick delivery

-caravans aren't ages away from home to deliver goods

-from monopoly to oligopol […]

-social platform in terms of allycrossing cooperation (what I wish, we would have much more)

-shaping plurality […]

-being well prepared for coming updates like market visibility

-being the base of possible future trade tournamants and social interaction

And some of us do hope to be able to make a higher profit in a more decentralised market and sell more goods (when I offer my stuff in Centrum, it does not sell too well or not at all).

Finally, having such a coordinated marketplace will allow players to jump between various markets which might not serve to develop the market (in that sense) but drives demand (and will therefore help to develop the market ;)

And Centrum:

D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

For sure Centrum is and might be for a long time the pricegiver and most trades use to happen there.

And The_Dude also has some points:

Increasing number of traders

Lower taxes

The possibility of alliance specific trade strategies (see the second map)

And thanks Ossian and EvilKatia. Main idea of the map was to make things more transparent and easier to manage :)

Trade hubs mentioned:

Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Port Tal has gotten some good regional traction...

Originally posted by Cerex Flikex Cerex Flikex wrote:

Turyin Trade Hub for the Elves! ;)

Originally posted by EvilKatia EvilKatia wrote:

I agree with Pellinell for me its Shelton sending all my vans constantly to Centrum would be long and painful. my trader at centrum give me an idea of prices range mostly.

Originally posted by Yeesha D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

Taomist / Laoshins trade hub "Zhuhai" is well developped with a really wide  variety of goods, at, what is important: in most cases competive prices (price niveau equal or less to Centrum). And more then 20 traders (that I know of), who are residents there.

Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Scar - Turyin is friendly to Elves per the Faction Summary on it.  It is also near a cluster of CF's cities. :)

Edited by NAAM Spokesman - 08 Dec 2012 at 19:29
Loud Whispers View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 00:31
I can vie with Port Tal. Anyone know a trade hub with loads of Dwarves around it?
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by NAAM Spokesman NAAM Spokesman wrote:

Trade hubs mentioned:

Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Port Tal has gotten some good regional traction...

Originally posted by Cerex Flikex Cerex Flikex wrote:

Turyin Trade Hub for the Elves! ;)

Originally posted by EvilKatia EvilKatia wrote:

I agree with Pellinell for me its Shelton sending all my vans constantly to Centrum would be long and painful. my trader at centrum give me an idea of prices range mostly.

Originally posted by Yeesha D'ni Yeesha D'ni wrote:

Taomist / Laoshins trade hub "Zhuhai" is well developped with a really wide  variety of goods, at, what is important: in most cases competive prices (price niveau equal or less to Centrum). And more then 20 traders (that I know of), who are residents there.

Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Scar - Turyin is friendly to Elves per the Faction Summary on it.  It is also near a cluster of CF's cities. :)

As Turyin does not allow trade to all races, we think we should potentially only add Port Tal of the suggested trade hubs to the map? We will send a trader to evaluate the spot. However, it would be nice to see a forum post similar to those:
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/trade-Event-zhuhai-winter-solistice-festivities_topic4523.html
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/trade-Event-creation-of-trade-alliance_topic4536.html

Otherwise we might assume noone is really interested in Port Tal.

:)

Edited by NAAM Spokesman - 09 Dec 2012 at 20:11
Silverleaf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 00:24
The current tax system is the biggest hindrance to the growth of any of the hubs - with such a ridiculous system that penalizes competition and hinders the trade - it is no wonder that majority of people prefer to do business out side hubs  - and i dont see this changing much until a reasonable tax system is put in to place  Wink
Cerex Flikex View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 05:09
Originally posted by NAAM Spokesman NAAM Spokesman wrote:

As Turyin does not allow trade to all races...

This does not make sense. You've listed Tudeyll on your map, which is the faction Turyns. The other hub I mentioned is Turyin, of the same faction. I think both are good hubs to use really.

Personally, the only reason for my preference for Turyin Hub, is that it's a bit closer to me than the other.

Edited by Cerex Flikex - 20 Dec 2012 at 05:12
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 13:35
Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake.

Based on this proposal: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/tudeyll-and-santellya_topic4441.html

...we have decided to add Tudeyll but not to add Santellya. The faction Illians (Santellya) does not allow access to all races. For Tudeyll that is not a problem.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 22:56
I don't know what your criteria are for adding it to your list or not, but Port Tal is used more than any other hub in the far South (not that any of them are heavily used)...
Meagh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 23:45
I think there is some kind of market discrimination going on here. The Barracks (544|466 in Windlost) have been active for quite some time and is supported by the major alliances in Tamarin and Windlost (nCrow, Semper ad Meliora, Alizés, Relic and others). Is there some Laoshin-bias behind this exclusion? - M.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 00:33
All we've got in the northeast is Brascan seed, Meagh.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Wink
Ketla Truttensis View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 02:13
Probably, as with all things (in this *game*), time will prove to be the greatest medicine. However, with respect to the comment about the tax system, I have a question: Is anyone actually LIMITED by what they can afford? I use the market to find the best bargain, though when I have sold I have adopted *realistic* policies rather than simply going with the slack economics of the game (i.e the more items I offer, the lower the unit price). But I don't NEED to. Whenever I have have full storage I just up my taxes to 80% or so and rake it in. Its not like my population rebels - all they do is produce less, which is irrelevant if my warehouses are full anyway. Solutions are to either introduce extra disincentives to such ludicrous taxation policies (even speaking as a tax-and-spend liberal elf) - e.g. progressive (regressive?) lowering of building levels - simulation of unrest? - or alter the multiplier in the tax formula.

I would love to imagine a world in which my local trade hub is a thriving market with different prices from those at Centrum (reflecting, perhaps, locally prevalent items). One day, I am sure (trusting in the long-term behaviour of Illyriad), this will be fact. Until then...

A thought: let caravans and traders incur costs (financial, not just temporal) the further they are from home. Thus, keeping caravans at a hub costs, and the further their 'home' city is from the hub, the greater the cost. In real world terms it makes some sense: you are still paying them, and the cost of living at a hub is probably greater than at home, especially if that hub is Centrum (more caravans = greater transient population = higher demand for accommodation/resources = higher costs). This would at least tend to make more exotic items more expensive. 

Edited by Ketla Truttensis - 28 Feb 2013 at 15:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic