illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tourney End Date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tourney End Date
    Posted: 18 May 2014 at 09:26
Here is my question. The tourney was supposed to end on Fri 23 May at 23:59. Tournaments usually run for 4 weeks and this end time would have been just a couple off minutes short of the 4 weeks. The end date was changed yesterday and a day added. The tourney is 22 days 8 hrs old as I write, this can be seen by the time squares have been occupied, yet the rankings are only up to Day 20. So today when the rankings are posted they will be for Day 21 where they should be for Day 22. Just what has got the Devs confused. Where did they lose a day. In order for this to be a 4 week tourney or 28 days it would appear that there should be 5 days 16 hrs left. Could the Devs please clarify this for me. I trust my reasoning to be correct but there again I am a flawed human and thus prone to err.
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daefis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 16:11
this has confused me as well and made calculating some squares a bit trickier... feels like moving goalposts
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 18:42
Not sure I see where the problem is.  What tournaments usually run is no guarantee all tournaments will run that length.  Given this was in celebration of the King's Jubilee, it would not have surprised me if the tournament had been set to last 25 days.  The post announcing the tournament clearly states the start of the tournament being 00:01 April 26th and ending at 23:59 May 24th.  So I don't see where there is a day being added here.  The info pages all show the same end date (23:59 May 24) they have since I've been looking at them.  The calculations I made last week still hold true which they shouldn't if a day was added when you say it was.   
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 20:57
Count Rupert. The end date was changed yesterday. I have a screenshot of the Tournament page showing an end date of 23:59 Fri May 23rd. This was changed yesterday and the new date has added a day to the tourney. How can this be possible. As Daefis said it is moving the goal posts.
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 22:08
I admit to not spending that much time on that particular page, I spend my time on the individual region pages.  However how do you explain the announcement for the tournament having the dates as from 00:01 April 26th through 23:59 May 24th if this was changed only yesterday?  
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 22:24
Do you mean the forum announcement? There was some confusion earlier about how the prizes were to be awarded and this post was modified. It was when the modification was made that the end date of Sat at 23:59 first appeared. The tournament page link was not modified at that time and has remained the same since the beginning of the tourney until yesterday when it was changed to match the modified Date. Obviously the one that has not been modified until yesterday would seem to be the correct one and the one in the modified post incorrect.
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 02:06
How can you say that the date before it was modified yesterday is correct and the modified date in the forum post is incorrect?  Clearly those running the tournament would know when they want the tournament to start and stop which is presumably why the forum post was edited to correct the error.  The forum post details the rules of the tournament which the date modified or otherwise is part of.  Everything else is informational and should reflect the rules as detailed in the forum post.  Apparently in this instance they didn't which is why they were modified yesterday.  So if as you suggest the date was modified in forum post, it was done no later than May 7th (the last time the post was edited), not yesterday.  The problem is there is no good solution.  Obviously you want it back to what you see as the original date because you've based your alliance strategy off it but others can make the same case for keeping as it is right now because they based their strategy on the forum post which are the rules.  Which should carry more weight.  I think you'll find that changing the date is not practical.  The evidence seems to suggest it most likely the date was coded wrong from that intended and they're stuck with it which is why they modified the forum post to reflect the new reality.  It seems to me if they could have easily changed the date, they would have back on the 7th rather than modify the forum post and be in the position they are now regarding the problem yesterday.
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:01
and there is the rub. The dates were modified.
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 12:05
i must mention that not every player has a forum account so they will have based their end date as the one shown in the Tournament Link in game.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 13:25
Hi everyone,

Just to be clear, the end date of the tournament has been fixed in the code - and on the official tournament rules thread as midnight Saturday - since the tournament began.

For one reason or another, it was mistakenly presented as a day earlier on the ingame tournament page, and has now been brought inline with the official rules post on the forum.

Of course, many apologies for the tournament page snafu, but it was always correct on the official rules post.

Regards,

SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic