illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournaments and War - Proposal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 18:51
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

The only way to really solve the problem from the perspective of the majority would be for the Farmville-style players to band together and use meta-war to try and n00b-ring every meta-warrior out of the game, and then keep a police force in place to n00b-ring all potential threats to the Farmville peace going forward.

A.k.a. the second server war.

Although to be fair, many players in that war were motivated by a strong desire to topple Harmless as the reigning tournament champion of that era.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 01:25
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

I don't think that there is any easy solution to reconciling tournaments and meta-war, since they both represent the disparate gaming styles present in Illyriad today.
if one must belong to one or the other of these camps, i suppose i am a farmville-style player. so with my farmville cap on, let me say that these two activities are already reconciled. they exist in the sandbox. one can stand aside from tournament play because one expects an impending attack; one can surprise an opponent by attacking when his/her troops are otherwise engaged (either in tournament, in another conflict, hunting, assisting another alliance, etc.). i do not wish to see either of these options regulated or abridged. they go directly to why i still play the game. actions have consequences in illyriad. no saved games, no replays, no restarts. i can't think of anything that could be more realistic than that, in modern or medieval times. if you want to play a game without those sorts of long-term consequences, there are thousands. choose one. if you want to play only with players you like or who play your way, invite them to your home or choose any of a dozen online venues that facilitate long-distance play over the internet. stop trying to change the rules of this one to make your favourite activity in illyriad risk-free. you're making the game less fun for someone else.

as an aside, i'd like to see the community get over this habit of using disparaging nicknames to bait players with styles different from their own. it's unworthy behaviour for most players here, and it undermines the impact of otherwise compelling argument.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 01:38
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

as an aside, i'd like to see the community get over this habit of using disparaging nicknames to bait players with styles different from their own. it's unworthy behaviour for most players here, and it undermines the impact of otherwise compelling argument.

In the context of my post, "Farmville-style player" was not meant to be disparaging. My wife plays Farmville -- she loves it. I've watched her play it enough to understand its game mechanics, and, while Illyriad is vastly different to Farmville in many gameplay respects, Illyriad players who 1) build cities, 2) craft, 3) trade, and 4) compete in tournaments but echew meta-war are engaging in similar gameplay to Farmville. You do all of those same things in Farmville, including competitions that are not in any way destructive to each other's farm. Illyriad lets you do similar things, plus it adds the element of meta-war.

In short, "Farmville-style player" -- not meant to be a disparaging term. I believe it to be a fair , if imperfect, descriptor for the majority of Illyriad gamers.

And for the record: if I could roll a siege in Farmville, I'd probably play Farmville, also.

Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:31
Tournaments should be training for war. You don't kill 75m troops preparing for war. Nor should players be split into tournament players OR war players. My proposal was to let training be training and war be war. It would increase the number of wars because there'd be more troops out there. It would allow for 'all in' in tournaments and would kill the long inactive periods following tournaments (I currently won't commit more than 33% of my troops to a tournament for example). It would increase player retention. It would cost the devs nothing as, perhaps foolishly, you cannot use sov to accelerate troop production in any meaningful way. It would speed up the game.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 15:48
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

perhaps foolishly, you cannot use sov to accelerate troop production in any meaningful way.

A good military player averages 200-300% troop sov on all cities. That's a 3-4x multiplier on troop building speeds.

I wouldn't want to see the troop system make major changes. This isn't Game of War. The slower nature of army building and troop travel allows strategies to emerge over time. I rather like that opponents can't just spend money to poof an entire fresh army into existence.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 17:14

Tournaments should be training for war.
do you mean that you *wish* them to be, or that they should be by their nature? because if it's the latter, you should consider that tournament is sport, and sport is as or more often regarded as a substitute for conflict than as training for it.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 19:39
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

i'd like to see the community get over this habit of using disparaging nicknames to bait players with styles different from their own. it's unworthy behaviour for most players here, and it undermines the impact of otherwise compelling argument.

Is "muggles" considered pejorative, or is it sufficiently benign?
Hucbold View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hucbold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 23:28
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

perhaps foolishly, you cannot use sov to accelerate troop production in any meaningful way.

A good military player averages 200-300% troop sov on all cities. That's a 3-4x multiplier on troop building speeds.

I wouldn't want to see the troop system make major changes. This isn't Game of War. The slower nature of army building and troop travel allows strategies to emerge over time. I rather like that opponents can't just spend money to poof an entire fresh army into existence.

Sorry typo, meant pres not sov!

A good player moves his/her sov about all the time.

Don't want pres acceleration of troop production either (just odd that devs cut out an obvious money spinner)

Just making a suggestion to encourage more players into more aspects of the game.

Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 14:56

Nor should players be split into tournament players OR war players.

I think all, or at least most, members of fcrow participated in the tournament. We just had troop sov to replace the losses as we suffered them. I was gaining troops during the tourney even despite the fact I was ~3 months old in the game and nowhere near able to sustain full sov or cities yet.

You can be both tournament and war player, you just can't be #1 at both. Which, IMO, is how it should be. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic