illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is the 10 square player rule dated?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is the 10 square player rule dated?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 14:05
the game is changing...new players...younger players...numerous new players from other games....is it time the leaders revisit the player adopted 10 square rule that was established years ago and change it to fit the new additions of the game and the new playing style of the game....i am on the fence......what are other players thoughts and please state if you were playing the game when it was adopted....i was playing at the time it was adopte
KarL Aegis View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KarL Aegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 14:33
I've always thought it was fair you couldn't warp in a city right on top of another city.

I was playing when the 10 Square Rule was established.
I am not amused.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 16:26
there is a lot more land and less players than in the past...permasats will soon be gone....larger?
Granlik View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 16:49
Larger?   Why?  If, as you are always arguing that the game needs more friction and conflict I would have thought you would suggest lowering it to 8 sqs.  I think 10 sqs is just about right and most playwers don't mind if someone squeezes in at 9.  And the fact that people can now have more then 10 cities also allows them to spread out a bit more. I've been here for over 3 years now and think it is just about right.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 18:41
I am going to contradict the popular notion that space has a real impact on the Illyriad player base. I visit Mogul's stat site every once in a while. Broken Lands doubled the size of the map, and the total effect on the player base seems to have been hardly noticeable. Illyriad still fluctuates between 5500 and 7500 active accounts, just like it has done for years.

I don't know if his site has been updated for the Broken Lands, so maybe there are accounts falling through the cracks, but I doubt it.

For other practical considerations, I don't think you can cut the 10 square radius. Defensively it prevents hostile cities from landing troops on your doorstep. There were a few prominent examples of that during the last big war. Increase it to 15 or more, and the area covered will grow considerably, requiring a lot more permission and alliance agreements for people to move into desirable areas.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 03:43
Originally posted by twilights twilights wrote:

the game is changing...new players...younger players...numerous new players from other games

This premise is, so far as I know, incorrect.  Certainly there are new players, but no more noticeably than there have been in the past (and fewer than there have been at times).  People coming with experience from other games has also been a constant in the past 4 years in Illy.  I don't know where you are getting your information on the age of Illy players, but I haven't noticed a big difference in that myself.

Since the premise that the playerbase has in some way changed is incorrect, is there anything else on which you base your suggestion for a change in the 10-square "rule."

By the way, by change in the 10-square rule, are you referring to the game mechanic that affects Tenaril and Exodus, or the player convention that applies mainly to settling?
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 07:32
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Originally posted by twilights twilights wrote:

the game is changing...new players...younger players...numerous new players from other games

This premise is, so far as I know, incorrect.  Certainly there are new players, but no more noticeably than there have been in the past (and fewer than there have been at times).  People coming with experience from other games has also been a constant in the past 4 years in Illy.  I don't know where you are getting your information on the age of Illy players, but I haven't noticed a big difference in that myself.

Since the premise that the playerbase has in some way changed is incorrect, is there anything else on which you base your suggestion for a change in the 10-square "rule."

By the way, by change in the 10-square rule, are you referring to the game mechanic that affects Tenaril and Exodus, or the player convention that applies mainly to settling?

I think she is referring to the player made rule of 10 squares. This has in effect been the same as a land claim, so one could argue that with the surge in land claims the 10 rule no longer applies but the area you are willing to enforce is now in place of the 10 square rule. If you are willing to enforce any area around your cities as a no go area to others, then that is the new "10 square rule".

The simple version of this is: Stay in areas you know players will not mind if you are close to them and stay clear of areas you where players are hostile.
Kaggen is my human half
Pellinell View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pellinell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:04
N0
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 14:05
oh I am talking of the player adopted rule...I think I made error in saying fewer player...change that to fewer accounts....land doubled...and even though the vets get older every year we are attracting younger players..more so than in the past...we had Lou players come on board..we had a game site playing group come on also...the majority of players that were around when the 10 square rule was establish are gone or seldom play....I think it should be adopted to a larger area...it would make alliance and confed. play more important...embrace change and especially adapt to what was added to the game...the game is very different now and alliance confed . and nap just became much more important.....hopefully with live ai factions and deletion of permasat accounts we will see alot more active playing and with the possible influx of players attracted to active play we might want more room around us and room for players that are playing as a team......seems those land claimers either stumbled on to something or see in the future......hint hint to those not getting my drift.......t
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic