illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to make a seperate realm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 12:15

Of course in two years or so, it would start to settle down much in the same way the current server has but it will likely settle down differently as different groups will have different abilities to adapt to various situations. 

Additionally, today's trade is, frankly, stale. There are people out there who on their own are sitting on more cows than get traded in 3 months through centrum.... and those are just individuals, imagine what an alliance could do.... 8 years of building has caused abundance and where's the fun in that? People aren't even vaguely efficient with their trades *because they don't need to be*. Why argue over 25 mil here or there when you have 10bn in a hub? But, in a new server where this abundance hasn't taken hold, trade has the potential to be much more interesting.

And, yes, this might only last a couple of years but that's a couple of **years**. Even in illy, that's a long time.

Now, I also take issue with your point that opening new servers will lead to more servers being opened more regularly in the future and this is for the following 3 reasons:

1) I feel it is too close to being a slippery slope fallacy

2) The devs have previously added a second continent but I see few people actively asking for more land to be created.

3) Would opening more servers even be a bad thing? The devs will only open it if they get more money from it than it costs and if they think it'll cause profit then.... I don't see the downside... If the game gets more money that means it'll be around for longer and have the potential of getting additional staff put on it to develop it. 

On a separate note, I do agree with the idea that the running of the Illyriad company has nothing to do with us. 
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 22:49
"Even a new realm after 2 years will start to take shape much like this one... You cannot discount experience, knowledge, productivity, and seniority in a sandbox. Those in my opinion are the challenges which players have to overcome and is much like real-life".

Just reading that statement made me think of the Russian Revolution of 1917 when the people decided that they had enough of living under Czarist Romanov rule for over 300 years, and chose communism. Lots of people in the game and new comers will never be able to achieve a level that some of the more experienced players have achieved. If the devs develop a second realm and it turns out to be exactly like the one it is now than at least we were given an option on how it would turn out. At least we were given the chance to play on a second realm, to shape it into what ever the players wanted it to be. I personally don't think it'll end up the same way it is now, sure you'll have alliances from the other realm coming over trying to make it the same. But I assure you you'll have countering forces that want to see the game play out differently. That was one of the goals of the SIN was to destroy the alliance power structure and destroy sitter accounts. See there is a lot of will of the player base to change things, the problem is that that player base gave up and quit the game. Once again I state it is impossible to beat an enemy that has unlimited resources due to either having many sitter accounts or just through years of stockpiling. If this games mechanics were different and one could rush build troops maybe it would be different. But no there was once a will to change the game, read the farewells, read the war declarations of the SIN and you'll see there was once the will.

A new server free of sitters and multi-accounting will bring the will of some of the people to light. I also suspect as I've said before lots of old players will return to this game if notified of the chances and that a new realm opened up.

For those of you already established or are perfectly happy playing with sitter accounts, ect ect. You have the choice to stay on the old realm. No one will force you to come over to the new one. And a second realm will not degrade the game in anyway, it will only enhance it.

Please dev's open a new realm free of sitter accounts, implement a vacation mode in the game, and beef up anti accounting to protect the integrity of the game.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 03:38
The persistent world is a major feature of Illyriad. If a new server started, effectively making this one obselete, then I think far more players would just find a new game entirely. The game population has been in steady decline for years, and the number of players has probably declined more than the number of accounts (due to password transfers). A reboot could easily be a deathblow to a fragile community.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 04:10
It wouldn't be a reboot. Players can still play on the original one and play on the second one. It would still be persistent because it wouldn't be going any where.
I think where the apprehension lies is that most of the players know a second server would render the original obsolete, which it would. Its like the old dog you've had for years and all a sudden theres a brand new puppy and everyone wants to play with the brand new puppy cause its new and fresh. So i understand why people who have lots to lose wouldn't want it to go through. Just ask your self one question, are you fine with Illyriad deteriorating until maybe 100 players are left, or do you want to take a chance and see if this can kick start Illyriad again.
Like i said the choice is yours to stay on the original if there were to be a second server created, the persistencey wouldn't be lost.
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 20:23
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

2) The devs have previously added a second continent but I see few people actively asking for more land to be created.

Yes, you are right, I see zero (big 0) people asking for new expansion of land, because below is quote from a GM discussing the reason(s) for BL implementation. Opening up a new server and land expansion are completely different things at many levels.

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Hi all,

Just wanted to bring you all up-to-speed on changes to our planned release of the Broken Lands expansion to Illyriad.

There are a number of things to run through here, so please bear with me.

New player influx
We've recently had a large influx of new players, and Elgea is now getting pretty full.  Finding an unsettled area on Elgea for new alliances is proving extremely difficult, and I don't think anyone will doubt that all the "best" locations are pretty much taken.

We want to expand the landmass, and implementing our original plan for the Broken Lands - where, essentially, everyone in the game could start again from scratch with a further 2 pairs of 10 cities on another continent - isn't really a solution to this issue.

Full source thread here > https://forum.illyriad.co.uk/25may14-broken-lands-update_topic5603.html

Personally it would be fun if some crashed the cow market by dumping cheap cows... MOOooos Gone Wild Tongue...

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 00:16
"where, essentially, everyone in the game could start again from scratch".

I see how in the technical term the Dev could have used the term "start again from scratch" as one would have to move down to this landmass and begin a new. In one way it was like declaring bankruptcy, you personally get to start a new but the rich people and the banks still get to keep what they've already made.
Like I said before I'm looking for a Russian Revolution of 1917, I want a new server free of the years of build up and free of sitter accounts. I don't want an "essentially, everyone in the game could start again from scratch". I want a definate everyone in the game WILL start again from scratch.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 01:00
Until they get this age of ascent delusions of grandeur out of their system there will be stuff all happening on illyriad. the only change they made was to make it possible for dedicated players to spend more cash money to trade prestige. i.e. multi accounting can only be abolished at a financial cost which they can't afford.  the game barely makes any money. whatever comes in is spent and it isn't on development of illyriad. perhaps they are trying to earn enough to pay back the people who funded them in the first place - who knows? for sure the lack of communication on both illyriad and on aoa is shocking. i still play but i don't put cash into something that has no active development. they have only themselves to blame.

Edited by Dungshoveleux - 05 Aug 2018 at 01:01
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 01:22
Couldn't agree with you more Dungshovel. That's why I decided to cut my losses and quit playing the game. I have no problem with the financial support, it was that it had so many fundamental flaws that I didn't want to "waste" my time on this game. I could careless if they never developed this game further and let it sit the way it is. The only thing I care about is getting a new realm with the sitters and the multi-gamers out. Cause those ruined the game for me, so I want them gone. I also want a clean slate to play on free of the benefits that sitters and multi-accounting gave the old player base.

I personally think they have this game paid for, I said in a previous post that I think the company behind Illyriad is just happy collecting their government grant money. I could read up on exactly the statue that they receive their money for and the merit behind it. But if I had to venture I'm guessing when their grant comes up for renewal they tell the government we have X amount of players playing the game (sitter accounts included, and multi-accounts) that way it makes it look a lot better that the government isn't funding some dead beat game. That's the only reason why I can think of them imo abandoning this game. Idk how many people gotta quit and make statements before they realise that the sitters have to go. I could totally be wrong though, but I believe they're happy collecting the government money. Here Ill spend the next few hours researching the grant that they receive their money from. If I could find out which programme it falls under I could phone the ministry and ask them for a financial copy to see how much the company receives from the British government, it should all be public knowledge as its tax payers dollars and has to be accounted for.

But yeah I'm not playing a game where I knowingly know its not going to change. I suppose I could start playing again, create 8 accounts and become what I hate. Guess the old adage goes, if you cant beat em join em!
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 01:50
The "game" was probably paid for by the £100k odd they raised in equity in 2012(?) and then spent. The accumulated P&L is around -£100k (?) and they used research and development tax credits (cash refunds from HMRC) to stretch out the development money. Somewhere along the line they decided not to develop illyriad but AOA instead. The owner (major shareholder) is some kind of dreamer imho. I can't be bothered to remember ALL the details but its there on companies house beta in the UK.  The only unknown is from where the money came for AOA but answer may lie in property as the director moved addresses at some point and property deeds can be searched in the UK for a fee. But in the words of Vicky Pollard, Am I bothered?
Blueskree View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueskree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 03:32
Yah who knows whats going on with the company. All i know is they took a hands off approach to the game. Which would be fine if thats what the player base wanted, but it isn't what they want.
I dunno maybe i should've asked for a new server two years ago. Now this game kinda seems dead and unless they do something in the next six montha i might just thank them for the time i did have and move on. No use fighting something which won't change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic