Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe tale of Nokigon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jabbels View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:19
Just updated my self on the whole story. Noticed my old name in it ;)

It's good keep going. :)

~James
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 09:38
Gemley quickly ducked under the wild sword slash, kicked his enemy in between the legs and sent his axe smashing down into the Kobold's skull. He looked around, eyes wild and staring, for another enemy, but his force of dwarves had quickly managed to neutralise any defence of the small Kobold village. It was important that Gemley fought in the front line, since that was what he always did and any change would be considered suspicious by his men- not to mention, Gemley got no greater thrill than that acquire by fighting. He had only ever met one warrior who had managed to best him in combat without sorcery or sheer luck, and that was Nokigon.
Nokigon! The knight from Centrum, and if all the other men from Centrum were as killed a swordsman as he then Gemley feared for the Undying Flame, the enemies of Sigurd. Gemley had never seen a blade move so quickly as Nokigon's, and so powerfully. He was a demon with a blade, a natural born killer. Gemley feared very few things in life, but he feared the trail of death that lay in Nokigon's wake when his sword, singing, flew out of his scabbard. He had watched Nokigon's raid on Quoddy's fortress from afar, and he had seen how wherever Nokigon went he left a trail of dead Kobolds behind him.
Despite himself, Gemley shivered.
"Sir?" The speaker was Captain Jargas, one of Gemley's officers. He had a rather irritating patriotic sense of duty to the Clan, which cancelled out his skill with a blade (which was prestigious) in Gemley's eyes, otherwise he would have taken the fearless dwarf into his confidence. "There is a large force of Kobolds marching towards us, sir."
Gemley hid a smile. Everything was going as planned. "How many?"

"Roughly 5000, I'd say sir."

Gemley put on a plausible expression of horror- he only had 500 men, of course, and any commander upon hearing that they were outnumbered ten to one would not be bet pleased. "Retreat, Captain Jargas. And burn the village."

Jargas nodded, turned to leave; then paused. Their force was largely unaffected- they had lost one man dead and three others were walking wounded. But many Kobolds were badly wounded. "And the enemy's wounded, sir?"
Gemley thought about, then shrugged.
"Burn them in it."

Edited by Nokigon - 15 Jul 2012 at 09:39
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 20:36
Gemley marched at the front of his men, nearing the valley of which Nokigon had spoke of. He was running, as were all of his men, for behind them marched a massive Kobold horde. As far as his men were aware, the Kobolds were marching into a trap.
He continued marching, and soon reached the valley. He slowed down slightly, as he was the only dwarf in the vicinity who was a ware of what could happen. He saw the faint glimmer of steel from the woods ahead, and knew the trap had been placed. He smiled, then tensed as he felt a mind touch his. It was Quoddy.
"Now!" she said. Gemley threw up a shield, and a huge wave of fire shot overhead. All around him, dwarves screamed in agony. They weren't expecting it- it took time to generate such an enormous firebolt, and the dwarves weren't to know that the Kobolds had been prewarned. As the firebolt died away, Gemley stood.
The forest had been completely obliterated. All of Gemley's men lay dead, and in the forest the corpses of hundreds of dwarves lay flat on the ground.  Gemley ran over to the corpses, and smiled as he immediately spotted the tattered remains of the banner of Clan Bealagh. He rumaged among the corpses, and there he saw the light of shining silver chain mail. It was a tall figure, lying flat on the ground, with a long sword still gripped tightly in his grasp. The figure groaned and stood to his feet. Nokigon looked around, and saw Gemley advancing towards him, axe drawn. Realisation dawned in the young knight's eyes, and a blazing hatred dawned.
Nokigon lept forward, his sword moving into a murderous attack. He cut diagonally downward. Gemley blocked it with his shield and kicked Nokigon in the shin. Nokigon retaliated by flicking up his blade, slicing open Gemley's cheek. Gemley snarled and threw a colossal blow at Nokigon; he blocked the axe with his shield, with- weakened by the fire- broke. Nokigon stumbled back but quickly regained his composure and stabbed Gemley's boot. Gemley roared, and swayed out of the way of the lightning fast thrust. He slammed his axe down onto Nokigon's sword, knocking it out of his grasp. He then shoulder barged Nokigon, knocking him to the ground.
Gemley approached the dazed Nokigon, and leant down.
"Time to die, human." Gemley leant back and raised the mighty axe.
Nokigon closed his eyes. This was the end.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 10:26
Gemley breathed in and out, feeling a rising wave of hatred as he looked down at the helpless figure at his feet. This man had humiliated him in front of the entire Clan. Now, he would die. Gemley prepared to cut.... then paused.
From behind him came the soft twang  of bowshot. And then came the sound of orcs dying.
Somehow, dwarves were streaming down the hill clad in full armour and wielding crossbows and axes. They would fire into the mass of Kobolds, drop their crossbow, pick up ANOTHER one, fire again and the process would finish until they ran out of weapons to fire. At which point, they would wait for the signal to charge. Meanwhile, great ballistae were firing into the Kobolds, killing many with every shot. Gemley realising with a sick feeling that he had been suspected. He realised that this was an ambush.
He realised that he was doomed.
Gemley slashed down at Nokigon, but Nokigon was already moving. Nokigon had let himself get lured into this position: he had been the only real person amongst the dwarf 'army'- the rest had been an illusion. Even Gemley's men had been forewarned of what may have happened to them, and had thrown up a shield before the firebolt had arrived. Even as the dwarves attacked, they were leaping to their feet and were wreaking havoc on the ranks of Kobolds.
Gemley snarled and cut sideways at Nokigon who was already moving. His sword began to dance in the way that only it could. His shield was discarded, but Nokigon didn't need it to defeat this dwarf. He stepped forward and cut downwards, kicked Gemley in the chest and stabbed at the dwarf. Gemley dodged this stab, but the return cut was already on the way. Gemley felt a shimmer of cold fear as he realised how good a swordsman Nokigon truly was. He desperately blocked cut after cut, until finally he threw caution to the winds and threw a titanic downward cut.
Nokigon then made his first mistake. He blocked it with his sword blade.
The sword, given to him by his father, forged from good human steel but incapable of standing up to the best steel the dwarves could muster, shattered. Gemley stepped back, stunned, and this was what saved Nokigon's life. Moving like a wraith, he cast aside the useless sword handle, and moved close- drawing his knife as he did so. He threw a hard punch at Gemley's nose, felt it break and as he did he stabbed the knife into Gemley's sword arm. Gemley howled as his axe dropped from nerveless fingers. Behind them, the victorious dwarven army, gleeful after taking the surrender of the Kobolds, gathered behind them. One dwarf, Captain Jargas, stepped forward with murder in his eyes. But Nokigon held out a hand.
"NO! HE'S MINE!"
Nokigon stepped forward, slamming his knee into Gemley's crotch- a blow that would've crippled Gemley if not for the dwarf's hard leather trousers. As it was, the dwarf stumbled back, eyes streaming, and Nokigon neatly tripped up the dwarf. Gemley fell back, and Nokigon prepared to throw the knife into the helpless dwarf's throat.
Gemley leant to the side, and saw Quoddy, who had managed to persuade the nearby dwarves to let her stand free.
"My lady...please, help me," Gemley called.
Quoddy's lips curled in contempt, and she looked away.
Sudden hatred blossomed in the dwarf's eyes. He whipped a dagger out from his boot and charged- but at Quoddy. Taken by surprise, the Kobold sorceress could only watch as the dagger pierced her heart. She screamed, and Nokigon suddenly realised what was going to happen. Hastily, he threw up a shield as Quoddy's body exploded with energy.
Nokigon snarled as he fought to hold the shield. Finally, the explosion was over, and he emerged to find that he had successfully protected the rest of the dwarves. All save one. Gemley lay on his back, his eyes staring sightlessly up.
Ovrim stepped forward. "It's over," he said simply.
Nokigon nodded. Clan Bealagh had conquered.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 21:42
The high dwarven hall inside the heart of Tor Gorrak, the great stronghold of Clan Bealagh, was just as impressive as the first time Nokigon saw it. He marched down the hall to thunderous cheering. The dwarves of Clan Bealagh and even some from Moedagh and Reashag had arrived to celebrate the man who had crushed the main army of the Parvacones and liberated the dwarves.
The Parvacones were not efeated, of course, they had merely suffered a serious setback. However Nokigon's work was done, and he had to return to Centrum. And Susan. He pushed that uncomfortable but warming thought aside and concentated o the moment- in particular, in not tripping up as the walked up the overly small steps. He finished the walk and stood in front of Ovrim. He then knelt.
"Nokigon Cediris," Ovrim intoned. "Knight of Centrum, Bane of the Blood Reavers, Shield of the South, the dwarves thank you for all that you have done to defend our people." The dwarves applauded enthusiastically. Nokigon hid a smile as he thought of the last words- if he wasn't careful, he would collect a vast stream of titles as he did the King's bidding. Shield of the South was a new one, but upon reflection Nokigon liked it. It sat nicely with Knight of Centrum.
"In response to your tireless devotion to duty in this matter, the dwarves have decided to offer you to great gifts. Let it never be said that the dwarven clans are ungracious to their champions!" The crowd liked that one.
Ovrim took a step back, and held up his arm in a salute. "Upon this day, I dub thee, Nokigon Cediris, a member of Clan Bealagh!" The crowd cheered wildly. Nokigon was gobsmacked- no other human, elf or orc had ever joined a dwarven clan. This was history. This was a huge honour.
Ovrim made a cutting motion with his hands, and the cheering died away. "In combat with the traitor inside Clan Bealagh, Nokigon's sword broke. We therefore offer Nokigon a new sword, a sword which belonged to General Thunderaxe." A murming of surprise began.
General Thunderaxe had been a great dwarven general in the Second Age, the commander of the United Dwarven Army. His great victory against the Elves was still sung throughout dwarven halls.
Ovrim took a sword from a nearby dwarf, and drew it. Nokigon's eyes feasted on the blade.
Unusually for a dwarven blade, it was long, long enough to be used on horseback. The blade seemed to glow, was made out of silvery steel and had a yellow jewel in the pommel.
"The blade is made from Silversteel," announced Ovrim. "It was forged in the heart of the Dragon King's breath. It will never break and will never dull. But the true power lies in the jewel. The jewel is in fact an eye, a phoenix eye which contains the powers of the phoenix. The eye will absorb energy when it kills, and this energy will be used to heal you if you are wounded." Ovrim passed Nokigon the blade. "Use it well."
Nokigon gazed at the blade. It was a far greater sword than his old one, and he was touched by the gift. On impulse, he stood, turned to the crowd and thrust it into the air. "Fleotr." he whispered, and flames rippled own the blade. The crowd roared, and Nokigon marched down the aisle, flaming sword held aloft. But his mind was far from Tor Carrock. It was time to return home.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 16:19

"Once again, I find that I am in your debt," King Sigurd said, leaning forward in his armchair to look past the fire into Nokigon's calm face. They were sitting in one of King Sigurd's many greeting rooms, sitting in armchairs by a fire.

"I was curious to see in what way I should repay you.." King Sigurd continued, "But then I saw that the dwarves have already done my work for me." His eyes travelled to the sword that lay on the floor by the fire.

"I have no need for reward, your Majesty, it was my duty," Nokigon believed the words as he said them, even as he knew that they were expected of him.

Sigurd nodded, and then the cheerful expression on his face vanished. "I'm afraid I have a new mission for you." He must have detected the unhappiness in Nokigon's face, for he smiled. "It is a mission that will confine you to Centrum, so you don't have to have another long ride to places forsaken by the Holy Trinity." Nokigon nodded, relieved.

Sigurd frowned slightly, then leant forward. "What do you know of the Undying Flame?"
Nokigon frowned. "Very little, sire. Only that they are your sworn enemies who intend to kill you. The rest is rumour and hearsay."
King Sigurd nodded. "That is as much as most know of them. But recently, they made an attempt on my life. The tip of a dagger was poking through my bed, and had I laid down it would have pierced my throat." He drew a dagger from inside his belt and passed it to Nokigon. An emblem of a flame was etched on the blade.
"They must have a traitor inside Centrum. It is your job to find this traitor."

Edited by Nokigon - 08 Aug 2012 at 16:20
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 21:21
Nokigon strode down the corridor, his thoughts awash with confusion. Dozens of factions were flooding through his head, but which one could be harbouring the traitor? Could the traitor be undercover, or could it be something more sinister? How could a member of the Undying Flame get so close to Sigurd?
And then all of those thoughts were blown away as Queen Susan stepped out into his path, her eyes freezing him in his path like a rabbit watching the approach sight of a squadron of knights. Nokigon froze. He didn't move, didn't look around to see whether anyone was around, he just froze. Susan moved, her movements calm and unhurried, her eyes not moving from his for one moment.
Finally, Nokigon spoke. "We can't do this."
She ignored him and continued to approach.
Nokigon's voice was weak. "Please. I'm going to be here for some time and I can't handle-" his voice was cut off as Susan's lips fastened firmly on his own.
Nokigon's thoughts turned to slush. He returned the kiss enthusiastically, before his senses finally returned to him and he pulled away.
Susan stared at him, her eyes full with lust. "I told you, Nokigon. I don't care." She stepped forward but Nokigon stepped back. Staring deep into her eyes, he shook his head. Then he turned and walked off, his thoughts even more confused than before.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 13:59
The Throne Room of Centrum, the place where the Kings of Illyria began their noble, ignominious, cruel or magnificent reign, was on that night filled with many important figures. It was the anniversary of the night of the crowning of Noble King Thorius, the first King over the warring tribes. Yet few dwelled on this, but looked around and marvelled at the nobility in the room.
The noble families of the Council, the Lannigolds foremost amongst them, populated every corner of the room. Young and beautiful women dressed seductively flitted around the hall, smiling at the men and leaving a wave of admirers in their wake- after all, that was the role of the women, to take the power from other families and give it to themselves.
In a corner, the Duke of Keppen, surrounded by his courtiers and some particularly beautiful women, was talking in a high voice to whoever would listen. In another corner Lord Grendham dismissed all who approached him, and spoke in a low voice to another of his lords. The emissary from the Sultanate of Kazim smiled smoothly, spoke warmly but the promise of danger in his eyes meant he was avoided by all. Druids from the Kildarran looked around disapprovingly, disgusted at the air of decadence. The son of Raja Metu wept freely as he hugged Victoria Lannigold, the most beautiful woman in all the land. There were many, many more. The rich, the powerful and the wise were gathered, and none were mightier than the figure who sat upon the throne, with his Queen sat at his right hand. King Sigurd, his crown high upon his head, gazed regally at all inside the Throne Room.
Then the doors crashed open, and silence fell upon the hall.
Nokigon marched in, his boots loud on the stone tiles. He was dressed in full ceremonial dress, with shining plate mail armour and his new sword at his side. He wore no helmet, but wore his head bare.
The feast of Ascension Day had begun.

Edited by Nokigon - 11 Aug 2012 at 14:05
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 09:06
The hall was arranged in the classic fashion popular amongst royalty- with four long tables arranged vertically down the hall whilst another long one was laid horizontally on a slightly raised dais. At the middle of the table was a high chair; the King's chair. To his left sat his queen, and to his right sat his foremost knight. On this night, the Ascension night, that place of honour was filled by Nokigon Cediris.
Yet although to those who did not know him, Nokigon was luaghig and drinking without a care in the world, Nokigion was watching the hall like a hawk. Somewhere in this room, he knew, was the spy of the Undying Flame. Yet who?
"Come, Nokigon, you must try one of these crabs," King Sigurd said as he leaned over to his left. Nokigon shook his head, watching a tall young figure from the Triumvirate who was watching Sigurd like a hawk.
"No? More for me then," Sigurd said as he dipped his hand into the silver platter. The young figure's eyes gleamed, and then Nokigon knew.
He summoned a gust of air, and the platter was blown over onto the table. The noise in the hall was silenced by the huge clatter of silver, and only two people moved. The Triumvirate representative snarled and drew a short sword with each hand. Nokigon rose an eyebrow, and drew his sword.
Now would be its first trial.
Nokigon yelled and lept forward. The spy whipped one sword at Nokigon's head and thrust at his torso at the same time. Nokigon parried the cut, leaned forward and pushed the hand forward. The spy stumbled forward, out of balance, and Nokigon slammed his fist into the spy's temple. An awed silenced fell over the hall as Nokigon sheathed his weapon. He turned to the rest of the Triumvirate, who looked pale, and rose his eyebrows.
"I believe that you have some questions to answer."

Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 10:41
The Triumvirate mage was locked in a cold, dark dungeon with his back facing the door. He was chained to a chair. He could only move his neck, so securely was he chained. Then came the creaking of the door, then the slam as it crashed shut, and the mage knew that he was no longer alone.
Footsteps sounded on the cold, hard stone, then stopped directly behind the mage. The sound of breathing roared in the mage's ears. He tried to look around, to see who was standing behind him, but he felt his head locked in position by an invisible force.
"So," said the man behind him, "Why did you try to kill your King?"
The Triumvirate mage snarled. "Why should I be ruled by such a man?" Then he could not hold back a whimper of pain, as the invisible grip tightened so hard that the Mage felt that his jaw would crack under the pressure.
"No man chooses their King. Yet we all serve him." Nokigon moved himself into the mage's line of sight.
"Now, I shall ask once more, and once more only. Why did you try to kill your King?"
The mage spat on the floor. Nokigon sighed, and created a flame in the middle of his hand.
"Last chance."
The mage glared at him, and remained resolutely silent. Nokigon gestured.
The screams of the mage could be heard throughout the entire dungeon.
Some hours later, a blood splattered Nokigon leaft the dungeon. Outside stood King Sigurd, who wore a slightly distasteful expression on his face.
"So why?" the King asked.
Nokigon looked back into the dungeon. The mage was still alive, although he probably wished otherwise.
"There is a spy in your court, your majesty."
Sigurd nodded. That much, he knew.
"Who?"
Nokigon leaned in close. Despite himself, Sigurd did also.
"The mage did not know who, your majesty, but he knows who sent him."
Sigurd felt a stab of annoyance. "Get to the point."
Nokigon grimaced. He felt guilty about supplying this information, but it had to be done.
"The spy had been sent by Lord Grendham, your majesty. The foremost Lord of the West."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic