Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Tale of Elevana Starlight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tale of Elevana Starlight

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elevana Starlight View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 11 May 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 10
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tale of Elevana Starlight
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 19:02
1.
She remembers dancing. Carefree cavorting with her bright peers, happiness and solace in a community of equals. It was a perfect dream, life without cares or worry... though also without excitement or change. Yet she had not craved anything different.

But something happened. She is not sure how or why, but she slipped. She had never had to worry about holding on to anything, but in that moment she found there was nothing she could grasp upon to steady herself. And so she fell. Swift, bright, sudden and hot... she was seered and scared as she fell and fell, faster and faster, until suddenly...she stopped.

"Are... are you alright miss..?" a gentle voice takes her from the trail of her memories, returning her to the present. The earth around her is scorched and smoking, the trees ruined and broken. And a single elven man, little more than a lad, looking at her with fear and awe in his eyes from atop his horse.

Fear... why should he fear her..? She looks to herself, as if to assess her fearsomeness. She is slender of limb, her strength feels frail. She is not armed or armored in any fashion, clad only in a dress of shimmering silver. She does not seem frightening. She tries smiling at him, "I am... alright."

It seems to work, the elven lad smiles - hesitantly. His voice is still tinged with a hushed awe, however, "Please, miss - who are you, what happened here?"

"Elevana," her name comes easily enough. What happened here..? She looks at her surroundings, the destruction which she sits in the middle of... and shakes her head.

"Will you come with me, Elevana..?" the elf asks, tentatively holding out a hand. Slowly, as if standing for the first time, Elevana rises and finds her feet under her. She steps forward, and without a second thought takes the stranger's hand, and allows him to pull her upon the back of her horse behind him. He puts his heel to the horse's flank and rides through the woods, swift and sure, despite his youth.

For her part, Elevana holds on and watches the leaves and branches whisk by, enraptured and inattentive as the elf takes her to his simple woodland village, taking home the source of the strange omen his elders sent him to investigate...
Back to Top
Captain Ganoes Paran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith
Avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 158
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 20:30
/me sits quietly next to the fire with his popcorn and listen to the story
Back to Top
Elevana Starlight View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 11 May 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 10
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:53
2.

Elevana sits patiently outside the hut that the elven outrider brought her to, in the midst of the very simple and small elven village tucked deep in the woods. They have been discussing her for deep into the night, and have asked her many questions when she was inside before them, lasting even deeper into the night. She does not mind the questions, but she wishes she had some answers for them.

She cannot say how or why she is here. She does not intend them or anything around here any harm, and she is sincerely aggrieved that her arrival might have caused all the destruction it did - she still has a hard time believing that, despite the clear evidence. And as to who she is - aside from her name she has little to offer them. She looks skyward, at the stars shining through the boughs of the forest. Oh, she could better answer their questions than with just 'Elevana'. But something holds her back. She is not quite sure if it is simple caution, or the vague nature of her own memory and fear for all the follow-up questions and doubts that would be sure to follow. She did not lie to them, but she did not speak in full either. Eventually they had to be satisfied with her simple answers and sent her outside to discuss her.

So she waits, patient, though embarrassed that she should be the object of such scrutiny. The outrider's horse snorts from the hitching post near at hand, and she smiles up at him. Rising to her feet she gently pats the side of his broad head, looking down at the watering trough below and observing her own reflection. She brushes her fingers up along her pale, angular cheek - up through the silvery-white cascade of her hair, and up along the tapered ear that pierces it. Has she always looked like this..? She does not recall ever seeing her reflection before, but her features do not feel familiar either. She pinches the tip of her ear and gasps a little - for it is sensitive to the touch. She would have noticed these at least, would she not..?

There is laughter away from the elder's hut. She looks towards it, and sees the outrider and the younger elves assembled around a fire, their speech light and careless, unlike the somber, serious words being exchanged inside. Even as she watches one of them takes up a flute and starts a tune, and merrily the others begin to dance with each other.

She brightens, watching them - filling with a desire to dance that overtakes all caution she might otherwise exercise. She steps around the horse, away from the elder's hut and towards their fire, staring wide-eyed as they whirl and cavort around and about the flames. She says nothing, just staring. But one of them notices her and slows his dance to beckon her forwards with both hands. She takes them.

She is not familiar with their music, or the way that they dance. But it does not matter - it comes naturally to her, within moments. Dancing chases away any of her cares, removes all inhibitions, and consumes her - like the fire consumes the wood, setting her heart aglow.

What she does not realize is that it sets more than her heart to glowing. As the fire burns low, the other dancers stop to stare at her. She does not notice until the music, and then her partner falters, staring wide-eyed at her. Even the elders have emerged, their eyes upon her filled with wonder. The village is suddenly silent, save for the soft crackle of the low fire. She swallows, not realizing that her very form shimmers and swims with an internal light, that the joy of dancing has made her luminescent.

The leader of the village, the eldest, takes a step forward to speak, "Elevana Starlight. Your arrival is an omen, and your presence here a sign. You will lead our village to prominence, and on this night with all these witnesses I grant you all authority to lead us as you see fit."
Back to Top
Elevana Starlight View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Avatar

Joined: 11 May 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 10
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 20:00
3.

"We should train archers! What is to stop a few orcs from walking by and taking everything we have built!" one of the elven elders speaks. A second quickly contradicts him.
"With what bows, with what arrows? My lady, we must increase our production of arms immediately or we will be throwing rocks and waving sticks at those orcs!"
"What orcs?" a third cries. "There have been no reports of any orcs in the vicinity! Why are we so worried, our scouts would-"
"Our scouts distract themselves with the patterns of wild dogs, while real threats surely slip by! We cannot rely on their intelligence!" the first interrupts.
"Let us build our intelligence," a four says smoothly. "Perhaps we should take what we need. There are other settlements nearby. I doubt humans would detect us if we liberated some arms from their stores."
"And if they do. If they do!" the second retorts. "Let us simply build them on our own! Our craft is surely superior!"

Elevana Starlight blinks as she listens to the debate of the elven elders around her. When she was given the responsibility of leading the village, they had initially been very pleased to leave things entirely under her direction. She had been overwhelmed, but had done her very best, and it has since prospered, growing steadily in both wealth and population, as elves from the surrounding woods have trickled in to join the settlement, which has grown to be called Elental, or 'Star Town' in the native tongue of her people.

Now that it has grown, they seem less keen on leaving control solely to her discretion. She had not asked for the responsibility they gave her, and she would have dearly loved their advice when she had first begun. But now, just as she feels like she begun to get a handle on running the settlement, they seem intent on taking leadership back from her.

That she could accept - if she thought they would run Elental well. But the debate here has made it clear that they are not. In truth, it seems to her that unchecked they may well lead it towards destruction and misery - which she will not accept for the people she has adopted. She does not know if it is truly fate or some destiny which has brought her here, as many of the elves believe. But it is clear they need her now.

"It is time I petition King Sigurd for our holding to be a legitimate holding under his stewardship," she says - not in a loud voice, but loud enough for them to hear and cut off their bickering.

"My lady..? How.." one of them asks tentatively. She looks at him directly, "How do I know of this custom? Not from any of you, be assured. I have been reading, and I am quite certain it is time - passed time, that we observe the proper forms."

"Why? Why must we seek legitimacy in the eyes of the human king? We lived here years before he came to reign, who is he to have us - you, my lady - bow and scrape to him?" the first asks.

"He is king of these lands now," she answers simply. "Which he has earned by right of his army, which I would rather we not run afoul of." She looks sternly upon them, "And while I visit him, there will be no raiding other settlements. And we will not over-concern ourselves with orcs or humans or anyone else. We will continue as we have been, for now."

She can tell that some of them are not pleased with her. Some of them are - grateful even, that she stepped in to stop the bickering. But most importantly, none of them gainsay her. She nods and walks out from their hut and outside, letting out a breath she did not know she was holding. Now all she has to do is meet with the king of these lands and convince him to allow her to build a community of elves under his domain...

...she worries her lower lip as she considers the weight of this task. A weight that is now squarely and solely on her shoulders, for if she should fail... her community will likely fail with her.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.