Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe State of the Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

Originally posted by Lwyllyn Lwyllyn wrote:

It's not as if I am trying to start an uprising against you, I am merely telling illy that everything you do has GM Stormcrow's full support.
GM Rikoo will have GM SC's full support just as GM Luna had GM SC's full support. it is absolutely essential that the community manager have the full support of the company; if that support were ever perceived to waver as a result of player pressure, the community manager position would lose all authority. if one frames one's argument as a contest with the community manager, one should expect to lose the argument. as a matter of strategy, players should find another way to approach whatever problem they are seeking to address.

Excuse me, but when one of your employees received complains from your clients, you have to address the complaints AND back up the employee at the same time ...

Doing either one and ignoring the other obligation is tipping the boat towards unbalanced situations where the employee loses all authority, as you said, or the clients lose all their willingness to keep doing business with your company.

The way I see it, if this situation keeps up we are soon going to see alliances mass-abandon ... if that is what the DEVs want, then hey, fine by me, but I think that it is our obligation to point out that things are going downhill ...

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

I agree but I also believe the flip side which is that it's also essential that the company have the full support of the player community, specifically the vets, rather than relying on fresh meat to keep them afloat.

How many people stayed from that huge influx of players from that google ad, last year .?. Wink LoU players will not stick around to a game that is so obviously tipping on its heels, especially after they just got kicked out of another game they played for years ...

Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

The community manager can ban whoever he wants from GC and I wont notice. He can delete whatever forum posts he pleases and I wont care. I believe that is the majority view. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

I have a different opinion ... we are either a community or we are just a jumble of random people playing the same game ... in that regard, I didn't have any much of a personal interaction with most people that got whacked with the banhammer, but I still find the way they got that treatment aggravating ... if we ignore the issue just because it is not banging on our doors, then we shouldn't complain that the DEVs ignore the community, because we will be ignoring it as well ...

Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

Under normal conditions, I think it's possible to have a sensible disagreement between developers and customers without resorting to either player invective or GM censorship. 

Of course you can ... you cannot imagine what different kinds of hell I have raised in the official League of Legends fora, in both European servers ... do they ban my accounts or erase my posts .?.

No ! They even sent me a rare Teemo statue for my contribution  LOL

Originally posted by Malek Malek wrote:

If nobody wants to help the new players in BL, then player retention will be non existent there.  

It is always cheaper to retain a customer than it is to attract a new one.  

+100000

Originally posted by Lwyllyn Lwyllyn wrote:

That said- the fact that this thread has more participants than just me and GM Rikoo seems to show that there is an underlying issue, and not just one isolated incident with one lone player.
And for one lone player of 18 months in GC so far, the thought of clicking 'abandon' is akin to moving 8000 miles from your family and friends and throwing your phone in the ocean. Not a decision all of us can take lightly.

It is not only that ... I have had no problem with GMs so far and I didn't mind the lack of updates nor bugs ... I didn't even complain about them even when I was personally inconvenienced by shadow blockades and stuff like that ...

You do not need a prior problem to spot a current one ... and at the moment this sudden "hey it is in the rules, here is a ban" mentality is ruining the gaming mentality and the fun of the game ... if we are going to watch whatever we say as if the GMs are like a weird school principal that is just looking for an excuse to expel you from school, then where is the fun in that .?.

And especially when your own promised and words (see all the unfinished stuff and projects) are already dust in the wind, deciding one day that you should hold your clients accountable for every little thing they say, is to say the least bad marketing.

Originally posted by Myll Myll wrote:

My two cents on the community as a whole: we are getting many new players, and this trend will continue on through the month of May when Lords of Ultima (LoU) shuts down, regardless other marketing efforts.  We need to embrace the new players and welcome them in - many are experienced gamers and will be great for the game.  I have said this many times: the first 24-48 hours are critical to Retention of new players.

Why .?. I already feel bad for advertising the game in other game's forum and parading Illyriad around a good game to play with a nice community ... as the situation stands though, how could I, in good conscience, make people stay in a game that I wouldn't in good faith propose to others .?.

Originally posted by Coltaine Blackwing Coltaine Blackwing wrote:

It's not just directed at the GMs, either. Between the wars, personal attacks and people intentionally bringing up real life topics they know are controversial and forbidden, GC is almost constantly setting a poor example to new players and alienating vets. I'm disgusted by the fact that they now complain about being silenced for repeatedly bringing negativity into GC without offering anything else to justify their presence on chat. Anything else a person may do in the game with an alliance or friends is irrelevant when speaking to the community as a whole. The real truth is that the attitudes of the players have driven more people from GC and Illy than anything the GMs could possibly do.

True ... but did the players that do/dis that get the banhammer .?. Nope ... it was mostly people that try to put a lid on things ... which explains the complaints on the matter ...

Just like a "before and after" ad ! ahahahaah :p
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 09:47
after more than 2 years in Illyriad, yesteday I was honoured by me first chat ban.... 
the offence?
to question in GC the impartiality of a GM when handling a complaint petition that was complaining about that same GM... no offensive, foul or abusive language was used.... only questioning the impartiality...
it seems that GM's deem themselves the Gods of Illy, and are above criticism, if you dare, be prepared to be silenced

Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 10:53
Originally posted by Twist Twist wrote:

after more than 2 years in Illyriad, yesteday I was honoured by me first chat ban.... 
the offence?
to question in GC the impartiality of a GM when handling a complaint petition that was complaining about that same GM... no offensive, foul or abusive language was used.... only questioning the impartiality...
it seems that GM's deem themselves the Gods of Illy, and are above criticism, if you dare, be prepared to be silenced

I highly doubt that such a thing even needs questioning ... the answer is blatantly obvious, especially since the only person known to have managed that got his name written in history, just for that super rare occasion (*) ... LOL

As for the DEVs thinking that they are above criticism, I am thinking that any game is nothing without its playerbase ... though it does seem to me that we are wasting our time here and the DEVs are set on their course of emptying the game of veterans (I still cannot find what they hope to gain out of that though ) ...

Edit:
(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristides

Edited by Deranzin - 25 Apr 2014 at 10:58

Just like a "before and after" ad ! ahahahaah :p
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 15:20

it seems that GM's deem themselves the Gods of Illy

It's possible to be a God and still be kind, understanding, forgiving and benevolent.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Evae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 07:51
You Banned Twist???  Really?

bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 08:59

I had a recent disagreement with a GM in GC, I had quite the opposite response from said GM.  He didn't close the argument down instead tried to reason with me, even thought I was right :p  I have a lot more respect for him now.
Coltaine Blackwing View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 09:22
I find it depressing that Twist is aggressively complaining about getting silenced for complaining about something that someone else apologized for...thereby admitting that they did something wrong to begin with.

This sort of thoughtlessness is why people are leaving. And then they have the gall to blame it on someone else. I'd rather have an empty game than one full of people shedding their maturity like it's gone out of fashion. Learn from your alliancemate, please.

Edited by Coltaine Blackwing - 26 Apr 2014 at 09:23
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 10:06
 "aggressively complaining? could you give an example of said aggression? 
I really would like to avoid being agressive in the future and would appreciate your help in this....

as for the complaining bit..... I was questioning the impartiality and complaints process itself, when a petition is handled by the very person the petition is complaining about
(I apologise if I have been aggressive in this post also, as I said, I would appreciate your guidance and help so I can be more docile, more.... compliant rather than complaining ;)
Lwyllyn View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 10:52
Really, Coltaine? SirTwist's style of complaining is why people are leaving? Really? SirTwist is likely the least aggressive member of our community!

And yes, I went about much of this the wrong way. But the incident that set this off was just one of several. Those of us who consider the folks in GC to be family take a chat ban seriously. Maybe, unlike some of us, you have a social life outside of Illy. Maybe you don't live 10 miles from your closest neighbor, and only need to sit on your doorstep to talk to your friends. Maybe you are a loner who doesn't need friends. Maybe you can just shut off GC without a second thought. Maybe you haven't a clue why this thread exists.

Most of the forum members who have posted on this thread have had issues with how GC is being handled. Most posts are in support of one perspective or another. And many of the posters were there when this started. And most have something to add, rather than merely trolling someone's opinion. Except you. You haven't had a run-in with GM Rikoo, you weren't there, and not one word of your two posts was constructive.

This is a discussion (or debate, or argument, whatever) about the GC community. You seem to have no desire to be a part of that community, so why are you posting flame attacks in this thread? Just the same way you can shut off chat because you don't like what folks say there, you can choose not to follow this thread.

Omigod, did I just have to explain the obvious, again? Thumbs Down
bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 13:14
Lwyllyn, Is Coltaine not allowed to state an opinion?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic