Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe State of the Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The State of the Community
    Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 01:39
Hello all,

As the new community manager and public relations manager, I wanted to take a moment to go over exactly what my vision for the community (and press) is. The first order of business is to explain exactly what it is I do.

What is a community manager? 

I am taking over for GM Luna, the last CM/PR. She left very nice, large shoes to fill, but she also left tons of great info and clarifications for me to explore. A community manager acts like the voices of the two sides of the game, the players and the developers. That means I take player concerns to the developers, and work with the developers to announce items or discuss changes with the community. That also means that I am not a coder; I will answer anything and everything I can but tech support questions. Those go into a petition so the coders can be let out of their cages long enough to fix them if possible. 

I also act as a moderator for the in-game chat and forums. If you have questions about moderation/rules, check out this thread and this one. You can also find them on my in-game profile. As usual, feel free to send me an in-game-message with any (and I mean any) questions about moderation. It is much better to ask me about moderation than to "hear" about how it works from players who might not know. (I have already had to shut down several "I heard"s!)

What is a public relations director? 

It's a fancy term for someone who contacts the press, attempts to attract the press to the game/s and acts as the go-between for the press and developers. I also cover social media and write blogs/communications. When you see an article or coverage about one of Illyriad Games' games, that's due to the PR manager, usually. This is the part of the job that you players rarely see me doing because it's all done in emails and social media. 

Keep in mind one major thing before reading below: I can and will host community-based events, but things like tournaments are developer-based events. Community-based events do not, generally, require heavy coding or can require nothing but player participation. In other words, I can pull these off myself.

OK, so what am I planning?

Several things, but as is the general rule in game development (or should be) -- I will never tell you anything until it is practically ready to go. Why? Because gamers are horrible at the telephone game. That means if I say (as I have) that I am "thinking" of doing something for the community, it can (and has) turn into "He said it was today at 3:00 pm!" 

Having said that, there are a few things that I can talk about. 

1) Host an in-game event: This can be something like the recent instant-on event that asked players to attack two separate towns. The idea was that there was a pack of thieves who stole from the King, and he needed the items returned. The player who did the most damage to the town's army won a medal from the King. During the event, the towns suffered from scores and scores of attacks. When it got down to it (and because we kitted the towns out with a small army) the player who got there first with an army won. This was more of a race than anything. In the future (and if the King approves it) I would like to add more to these events, like puzzles or trivia or something else on top of the attacking or robbing. Keep in mind that these will not always be announced and, so, some players might miss them. Generally, however, I will try to use social media/forums/chat to let everyone know. Sometimes I might just toss it out there! Be warned! I am not afraid to upset a few players for the sake of spontaneity! Frequency: once per month.

2) Reigniting the Player Spotlight: I am re-opening the player spotlight because it is a great way for the public and for the playerbase to get to know the game. I am looking into switching out the "reward" for players who are featured from a t-shirt from our shop to Prestige or something similar, or a choice of either. Frequency: once per month.

3) Hosting a Strategy Monday livestream: This is a great way to gather with players to discuss the finer points of the game. Illy, in truth, is like a giant, neverending strategy boardgame. With that comes a million ways to play, and a playerbase that is able to make the game how they want. These livestreams will be hosted by me but we have plans to include the rest of the developer team. If you would like to participate, check out this thread. Frequency: once per month.

4) Random contests/trivia/etc: These are quick, fun and easy ways to get involved with the community. I might ask trivia one night, host a poetry contest or (something I really want to do) host a player profile contest. I can hand out various "prizes" for these, but will hold off listing them off until I talk with the developers. Frequency: often, when I can, etc.

The general idea is to have some "thing" happening once per week, on average. Again, bear in mind that these events have nothing generally to do with the developer events like tourneys, etc. When those come they will be treated in a different way altogether!

If you have any ideas for a contest or event (and I have received a ton already) please put them in this thread, send them to me with an IGM or send to community@illyriad.co.uk ! Feel free to discuss all of this below.

Many of you might have noticed, but we have been gaining tons of new players. This is due to coverage, other games shutting down, Age of Ascent's recent popularity and crossover, etc. Be welcoming to these new players because one day you might need a target!

GM Rikoo

Edited by GM Rikoo - 05 Dec 2014 at 15:06
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 04:21
I am glad to see your enthusiasm about building up the community and the game.  Keep bringing in the newbs, so we can keep helping them grow!
Mayflower View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 04:56
I'm glad the King has acquired such a passionate GM!
Kabu View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 06:16
I'm looking forward to those events being announced in the forums!
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:

Many of you might have noticed, but we have been gaining tons of new players. This is due to coverage, other games shutting down, Age of Ascent's recent popularity and crossover, etc. Be welcoming to these new players because one day you might need a target!

Hmm ... but what is the average staying time for the newbies .?. Wink

Anyway, your plans sound good, but I do not think that they can reverse the game's decline nor can they mitigate the problems generated by some gameplay issues that are critical. And with less and less veterans around, building an account from ground up is becoming a harder task everyday.

I hope the plans work, but I am not very optimistic about it ... 

Just like a "before and after" ad ! ahahahaah :p
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 11:03
Buying prestige or not does not seem to be the issue anymore ... I think that since most Illyriad players gave the new AoA game the cold shoulder (and with very good reasons I might add) the company reverted to a policy "hey we do not need them anyway" and started over-enforcing rules with unfathomable goals (I admit of not understanding the purpose of the latest ban fests and what Illyriad Games gain from them).

What is most amazing of all is that they seem to be targeting players that are not ban-material and with targets like these the situation is going rapidly downhill ...

Auraya View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 13:20
If anyone has an issue with the new GM, you can always mail SC. I spoke to him recently and it appears that no-one who has actually been banned has sent him a message explaining the problem. I've always found him incredibly reassuring and willing to listen to any and all complaints. 

Regarding this: 

'You could find yourself in deeper water by attempting to clear up the punishment than just dealing with it.'

Providing you are respectful and willing to discuss things rationally, this should not be the case. The problems arise when you start raging at GMs. My advice would be to take a step back, grab a cup of tea, calm down and then write an IGM stating where you believe you have been treated unfairly. Have a friend read it before you send it, to make sure nothing sounds too unreasonable. 
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 13:41
Originally posted by Auraya Auraya wrote:

If anyone has an issue with the new GM, you can always mail SC. I spoke to him recently and it appears that no-one who has actually been banned has sent him a message explaining the problem. I've always found him incredibly reassuring and willing to listen to any and all complaints. 

Regarding this: 

'You could find yourself in deeper water by attempting to clear up the punishment than just dealing with it.'

Providing you are respectful and willing to discuss things rationally, this should not be the case. The problems arise when you start raging at GMs. My advice would be to take a step back, grab a cup of tea, calm down and then write an IGM stating where you believe you have been treated unfairly. Have a friend read it before you send it, to make sure nothing sounds too unreasonable. 

This is a very reasonable and sound advice concerning the people that have been punished ... alas a game or a commodity is not only comprised by the people that were (or feel like they were) wronged, but by other people as well ...

As far as I am concerned I find the "grab and kick and shut up" policy quite on the "obviously bad PR" side ... when you are a GM and you are punishing someone, then you should have enough justification to do it and handle any public critique for it, since, presumably, you feel that you were right in your decision ...

Imagine working somewhere where your direct superior could punish anyone he wanted and noone could even speak about it (I got reprimanded in GC because apparently even mentioning people that got punished is a punishable action in and of itself !! Shocked), would you say that this is a good environment to be working in .?. I don't think that anyone would, but heck in the example it is a workspace and many people put up with many weird situations in order to maintain their careers ... so, ok, let us say that such a behavior is something a superior in a job might get away with because the people working under him are afraid of their jobs ... but in a game where people participate to have fun ???

Definitely back PR and definitely not fun, especially if you combine it with the already existent problems of the game ... in those circumstances I expect even more people bailing out of the game very soon and if the GMs do not care enough to notice something that obvious, I do not think that we have any business writting specific IGMs for that ... heck, things atm are so bad that I am a bit worried that I might get reprimanded/banned for this post here ... is that a gaming environment anymore, one has to wonder ...  

Edit:

Wow, the posts were deleted ... now this dialogue seems pretty unjustified ahahahah

Edited by Deranzin - 24 Apr 2014 at 13:43

Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 15:52
I personally never had any problems with any GMs...

..and I didn't turn GC on for quite a length of time (was it 1 or 2 years?), as talks in there can turn from silly into rough within minutes, especially at war times... Ouch

Perhaps Rikoo could outline his ban policy a bit, so we know what to expect...

I football a strict ban policy is quite normal... state anything against a referee, and you'll get a warning or even cards... not sure if such would be good in here? Confused

EDIT:
Oh, yes, one post in between has been deleted...
GM Luna used to leave notes, so the discussion hasn't a hole in it.

Oh, and anyone still remebering GM Strategos Pink Pen of DOOM ? LOL

Edited by Hora - 24 Apr 2014 at 15:54
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 16:01
Hora,

The rules for both moderation, chat, etc are on my IG profile or here:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/code-of-conduct-rules-updated-102911_topic31.html

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/chat-moderation-faq-clarification_topic3420.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions. As far as any deleted posts: when a player uses the forum to discuss issues that are between the GMs and them, it is not allowed to stick around. Any posts quoting or discussing that post need to go as well. We have always had a policy against discussing private dev/player interactions for various reasons.

And I give warnings as well. :) Anyway, like I said holler if you have any questions about specific areas!

GM Rikoo
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic