Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Garth View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 04:53
"Loyal opposition." You're not kidding, are you? Just for curiousity's sake, just who/what do you mean by that?
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 05:11
Originally posted by Garth Garth wrote:

"Loyal opposition." You're not kidding, are you? Just for curiousity's sake, just who/what do you mean by that?

Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

The post was slanted against the practice of indiscriminate care-a-vaning and took an overt swipe at the hug set in general.
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 05:25
Loyal opposition usually refers to the political party (or parties) that is out of power, particularly when a country is at war; said party usually attempts to emphasize unity in fighting the "enemy."  The term is more frequently used in Great Britain (and the Commonwealth), where protections such as freedom of expression are not necessarily constitutionally guaranteed as they are in the U.S. and thus opposition to the government could be construed as treason.

I'm not sure how it applies in this context.  Perhaps you were saying that we share more similarities than differences?

Edited by Rill - 04 Jun 2012 at 05:32
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 05:33
"Loyal" since both sides have a vested interest in the success of the game and "opposition" refers to not my side.

I used it cuz it sounded good, or so I thought at the time.
Bonfyr Verboo
Garth View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 06:08
Originally posted by Myrin Myrin wrote:

I found this thread a little late, however, I think Rill's post on page one was way out of line. I didn't see anything said that they were condemning how other people play the game. The members of TLR merely stated how they work in their alliance. I find your statement to be confrontational and inappropriate particularly since this was a place for them to recruit like minded players. 

Rill, your statement that you disagree with their philosophy proves that there are two different ways of looking at it. They mentioned no other alliance and didn't say that those who thought differently were wrong. You came into their recruitment post and turned it into something controversial. Personally, I think your post on page one should be removed.

In light of the recent clarifications from Abstract Dream, it seems your points are generally off target. If you'd like me to go through and delineate point by point, I will, though I would send it as a PM and not muddy this thread any further.
Your concern for TLR is commendable (especially as you resurrected the thread after so much time), but in this case it seems you may have misinterpreted what transpired. Rill (and her alliance(s)) indeed were the target of the particular references in the April 15th post, and the intended tone of that passage indeed was "an overt swipe".
I do commend Abstract Dream for that clarification.

For what it's worth, though the term "Loyal Opposition" was applied to HugCr, we have nothing against TLR's members, and do not consider ourselves opposed to them. 

edited for minor cosmetic changes

Edited by Garth - 04 Jun 2012 at 06:09
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 21:56

Originally posted by Myrin Myrin wrote:

I found this thread a little late, however, I think Rill's post on page one was way out of line. I didn't see anything said that they were condemning how other people play the game. The members of TLR merely stated how they work in their alliance. I find your statement to be confrontational and inappropriate particularly since this was a place for them to recruit like minded players. 

Rill, your statement that you disagree with their philosophy proves that there are two different ways of looking at it. They mentioned no other alliance and didn't say that those who thought differently were wrong. You came into their recruitment post and turned it into something controversial. Personally, I think your post on page one should be removed.

In light of the recent clarifications from Abstract Dream, it seems your points are generally off target. If you'd like me to go through and delineate point by point, I will, though I would send it as a PM and not muddy this thread any further.
Your concern for TLR is commendable (especially as you resurrected the thread after so much time), but in this case it seems you may have misinterpreted what transpired. Rill (and her alliance(s)) indeed were the target of the particular references in the April 15th post, and the intended tone of that passage indeed was "an overt swipe".
I do commend Abstract Dream for that clarification.

For what it's worth, though the term "Loyal Opposition" was applied to HugCr, we have nothing against TLR's members, and do not consider ourselves opposed to them. 

edited for minor cosmetic changes

Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

The post was slanted against the practice of indiscriminate care-a-vaning and took an overt swipe at the hug set in general.

The post was slanted against a practice. The hug set in general were also targeted.

Rill is the most well known of the hug set, so her responce is understandable (though I wasn't very quick on the uptake there,) but many players hug and send gifts. I did not use her name because I did not specifically mean her.
Bonfyr Verboo
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 22:13

Certainly, providing all the backstory here would bore the pants off of most people
If new players reading this thread didn't get it, Subatoi & Co. is not the biggest fan of Rill & Co., and vice versa.  So if you plan to settle anywhere near the Rift check the map carefully.

Subatoi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 23:12
Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

Certainly, providing all the backstory here would bore the pants off of most people
 So if you plan to settle anywhere near the Rift check the map carefully.

Excuse me?

If anything is going to harm a foolish player settling near the Rift, it will be someone who doesn't know how hostile the Reavers are.  TLR is peaceful but we are not pushovers, just because we will not tolerate someone walking over us does not mean we are dangerous neighbors.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 00:34
Originally posted by Subatoi Subatoi wrote:

Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

So if you plan to settle anywhere near the Rift check the map carefully.

Excuse me?

If anything is going to harm a foolish player settling near the Rift, it will be someone who doesn't know how hostile the Reavers are.  TLR is peaceful but we are not pushovers, just because we will not tolerate someone walking over us does not mean we are dangerous neighbors.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Ryelle.

She IS the Evillest Player in Illy, ya know.
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 00:53
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Ryelle.
Tamarin is an integral part of Greater Ursor's Reach.  Hopefully them fairies will publish soon where exactly their license for the long road ends. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic