Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 05:10
Thanks for the civil reply, Bartozzi. I may do that sometime, but my intention was not to debate, it was to give some insight to who may be a better fit in TLR.

I did find out that some folks are not interested in debate, regardless of how they present themselves to the community. I suppose I can take that as a lesson learned.
Bonfyr Verboo
Prometheuz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 12:18
By and large I agree with the distinctions that abstract dream has made in his post ^^ Like it or not you have to respect what they have done so far!
Vanerin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 16:02
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

I understand that if I am to be where I am most comfortable I am to be ostracized by the rest of the community, no matter how much effort I put into walking on eggshells.

I don't think anyone has oppositions to you being comfortable*. But I do think that some people are less than happy when it feels you are putting their way of living down. I recognize that some people don't like snuggles. That is totally fine. If I know you don't like snuggles, I won't snuggle you. I think most people feel that way.

If you want to live by a code of self sufficiency, higher ground, and/or whatever, that is great! But please don't put down others for living how they want to.

I am sorry that your recruitment thread got a bit sidetracked.

*I guess I should probably put a qualifier in here. I think this only applies if your "comfortable" doesn't involve hurting others. If you are most comfortable being a murder or thief, I think people would have a problem with that.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 14:08
When did I put anyone down? Have you read the post that resulted in the reply in question? The only thing that could have possibly been seen as an issue, I apologized for and that, in my opinion was a stretch on my opposition's part. If you HAVE read the post and the posts thereafter, you have seen the clear opposition to alternate views, regardless of the protestations to the contrary.
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 18:40
Right, because "lame" is not a put-down.  It's an expression of admiration.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 19:52
/me would like to point out lest anyone misunderstands that she does in fact admire many people who have disabilities.

/me just questions whether "lame" was intended to express such admiration in this context.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

I admit the word "hug" may need to be Illy-copywritten. I do have a bit of hugophobia going on, but honestly I was not trying to call your alliance out. I was actually tring to call out everyone who snuggles, huggles, sniggles and whatever other dripping form of greeting there is. I'm just not a snugly chat fan but I do not have a problem with all of the lame touchy feely crap that usually goes on in the snugly crowd. I can ignore it. My refence to hugs was taken wrong and I should not have gone there and for that I appologize.

So I got a bit uppity and I apologize, again. If the two sentences in question were removed?
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 01:44
I guess I wonder why you feel the need to "call out" people for snuggling.  Maybe you don't like it; OK, people won't snuggle you.  But it seems you are offended by seeing other people greet people in a friendly manner.  Trying to dictate how other people greet each other, as long as it conforms to the code of conduct, seems to be taking an extreme position -- and then you claim that others oppress you and don't let you express opposition?  Seems like the opposite is true -- you are the one complaining about how others express themselves.  Which is fine -- kvetch away.  Just don't pretend you're doing something other than what you are doing.

I disagree with your view of snuggling, but other than thinking it's poor form to single out another alliance in your recruitment post, I have no quibble over you expressing your non-snuggly perspective.

I think the key difference that I see is that you express disapprobation not about the behavior snuggling but disrespect for the group of people ("the snugly crowd").  You are certainly free to do so, but it might be better to do so someplace other than your recruitment thread.  I personally think that personalizing attacks in this way is counterproductive, but I wouldn't want to limit your freedom to express your views.  

At the same time, when I disagree, I will say so.  Or possibly I won't if I decide that people have said what they have to say and that there is no point in continuing the discussion further.
Subatoi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 02:27
I think, just my outburst here, that this *helps* the recruitment thread.  one, advertisement: all these people been posting here so it's a fairly regular item and two, it shows how some of the people think in the alliance.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 03:57
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I guess I wonder why you feel the need to "call out" people for snuggling.
 It was meant as a jab at the snugglers in general, not any specific alliance or you in particular. I assumed it was an innocuous term. I am not under that assumption any longer. 

Maybe you don't like it; OK, people won't snuggle you.  But it seems you are offended by seeing other people greet people in a friendly manner.
 Nope, not offended. 

Trying to dictate how other people greet each other, as long as it conforms to the code of conduct, seems to be taking an extreme position
 I've never told anyone to stop. Any time someone attempts a hug on me, I duck and run. That's the limit of my comments on it in GC.

-- and then you claim that others oppress you and don't let you express opposition?
 I do not claim that. If I have ever claimed that, I was wrong. Opposition is not oppression. 

Seems like the opposite is true -- you are the one complaining about how others express themselves.  Which is fine -- kvetch away.  Just don't pretend you're doing something other than what you are doing.

I disagree with your view of snuggling, but other than thinking it's poor form to single out another alliance in your recruitment post, I have no quibble over you expressing your non-snuggly perspective.

I think the key difference that I see is that you express disapprobation not about the behavior snuggling but disrespect for the group of people ("the snugly crowd").
Now we're getting to the meat of this. I get it now. You think I have professed respect, while at the same time laughing at you behind your back. I can only say it isn't true. I know the jab at hugs seemed to be personal to you, and for that I am sorry but it was not meant as that.  

You are certainly free to do so, but it might be better to do so someplace other than your recruitment thread.  I personally think that personalizing attacks in this way is counterproductive, but I wouldn't want to limit your freedom to express your views.

At the same time, when I disagree, I will say so.  Or possibly I won't if I decide that people have said what they have to say and that there is no point in continuing the discussion further.
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic