Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Long Road to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll
    Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 00:06
The Road to the top of a mountain is Long and dangerous and thrilling and enticing with a view to everything at the top. Wagon wheels slip and drop stones on travelers below. They curse you and move on, making their way on a different road, a more traveled and "safe" road.

Why would someone want to take the road less traveled? It isn't something you can readily put your finger on. It could be I suppose, but no one I know can easily explain the urge to deviate from the path. It is longer, and more likely than not you're going to fall and scrape the proverbial knee, but you go none-the-less.

You Travelers of The Long Road, join us
Bonfyr Verboo
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 06:11
Nice start, good luck mate.
Prometheuz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 11:37
I am just a grunt in TLR, but I have been around. I just want to say this.

We are doing pretty well in The Long Road right now. We are only small but we are very active.  Even so our players Salahdin, lilman and  D Trooper  did very well in the latest tourney. These are players of the future and they don't mess around

We have plenty of laughs in alliance chat and plenty of fun as well but our leaders work hard to make sure that the alliance stays active. The best thing about being in this new alliance is that our leaders tell like it is. Eternal Fire ; Bonfyr Verboo put in a lot of organisational work.

If you are the kind of player who knows the value of travelling a hard road - join us.

Edited by Prometheuz - 23 Jan 2012 at 12:13
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 05:38
lilman has since bolted from TLR along with 5 others to form HEAT. Good luck.
Bonfyr Verboo
Abraxox View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 08:34
TLR™ is an interesting path to travel, and as a wise man said, life is a journey, not a destination. Interesting people travel this road, and there are secrets to be learned. One of the leaders, Eternal Fire, is flame, incarnate, and the other, Bonfyr Verboo, is an extra-dimensional being. As for myself, I'm a "visitor" from... shall I say, elsewhere; a very, very long road away, indeed.

This group of people is growing, and fun to play with.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 03:31
In my short time travelling The Long Road I have encountered many diverse play styles, abilities and interests. Many members have come and gone and I am beginning to better understand the type of player TLR is more suited for.

There is a philosophical divide that exists today in Illyria. On one side are the players who want to warmly welcome new members of the community, gift them with a variety of resources and guarantee their safety. On the other side are the players who believe in self sufficiency and freedom of choice.

TLR's philosophical bent is towards the latter view. While we will send resources when asked, we also expect our members to be able to stand on their own, in resource production, in military production or what have you.

As many alliances do, TLR has its rules and the membership is expected to follow those rules. There is a clearly codified set of laws that TLR is governed by. These laws are open for any member to review at their leisure.

TLR is attempting to grow in a direction of strength. Population numbers do not define strength. We have a strict activity guideline but if one is not the growth oriented player many bigger alliances require, TLR has a place for you too.

The Long Road is travelled over months and years. It cannot be covered in a week. If you understand and want to join an alliance that expects more from its members than the occasional hug, that is not afraid to listen to and act upon input from its members, that will defend those members with competence and decisive action, that has room for advancement and will reward right minded thinking, then TLR may be the alliance for you.
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 04:52
Right minded thinking?   http://www.montypython.net/scripts/right-think.php

I disagree with the divide you perceive.  I believe that there is no shame or danger in being helped along the way.  Most players naturally want to become self sufficient; others may require an occasional nudge.

Helping others is also a choice, and no one is forced to accept any sort of assistance.

If you don't want to help new players with resources, that's just fine.  But don't pretend it's some sort of righteous cause.  I help new players because it's fun for me and seems to be fun for them too.  Not because I'm on some sort of moral crusade.

I strongly doubt that how much or whether to assist new players with resources is anything like a defining difference on the server.  Sure, some people may disagree about the question, but with the exception of Eternal Fire, who frequently appears to adopt positions merely to stir controversy, very few people have much passion about this non-issue.

And what about the fact that if others try it out and then choose not to travel your path, you feel the need to siege them to somehow entice them to remain in line?  Was that "listening to and acting upon input from members"?

I understand this is an attempt at recruitment, but since you have taken digs at other alliances in your post, I think it is reasonable for others to comment on the hypocrisy of your position.
invictusa View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 06:41
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

believe in self sufficiency

I must abstain from witholding nondisregards for TLR in keeping it real and not putting their members in a welfare state. There are a few newbs I know of with 10 cities who could not have gotten there without a little bit of power building and a lot of welfare stamps.

Edited by invictusa - 15 Apr 2012 at 06:57
...and miles to go before I sleep.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 07:07
I was not attempting to accuse you of a moral crusade with regard to your helping new players. I was defining a difference in philosophical views as manifested in the approach of many players to the GC community (certainly you are formost in this arena.) It may not be a "defining difference" but it is indicative of the difference that does exist.

You pointed to only one example of what you consider to be hypocrisy. I will assume there are more, since the tone of your post was mostly derisive but I can only address this one for now. I can only assume you a talking about the siege of some members of HEAT. As Eternal Fire has stated before, the reason TLR went after HEAT was for issues related to recruiting. I personaly am not as interested in halliver's rinky dink attempts at underminding us as I was in his covert and overt activity in and around Ursor. By "remain in line," maybe you mean not plotting to attack us as soon as they were able? In that case, yes I was genuinely concerned that HEAT would not remain in line.

Listening to and acting upon input from members happened again just yesterday actually. Prior to that, we have made major changes in policy based on member input. Those members who are interested in speaking up not only have a voice but in every case to date have been able to get things done, change what they don't like or make a difference in how TLR is operated. halliver himself rose to the position of military commander, a position he held for a month, until the day he abruptly and without notice of any kind quit TLR.

I admit the word "hug" may need to be Illy-copywritten. I do have a bit of hugophobia going on, but honestly I was not trying to call your alliance out. I was actually tring to call out everyone who snuggles, huggles, sniggles and whatever other dripping form of greeting there is. I'm just not a snugly chat fan but I do not have a problem with all of the lame touchy feely crap that usually goes on in the snugly crowd. I can ignore it. My refence to hugs was taken wrong and I should not have gone there and for that I appologize.
Bonfyr Verboo
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 07:20
You cannot be more or less than what or where you are not with or without the help you may or may not have gotten at sometime.
Or not.

Seriously, I understand it's true for you
but I won't focus my play that way
for all of us in the same small frame
build and rebuild is the name of the game
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic