FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Broken Lands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Broken Lands
    Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 04:51
The Broken Lands

Citizens, we recently intercepted a letter due for the King of Larn, taken from a group who were just crossing over from the mysterious southern continent. King Sigurd, in his concern for his patient citizens who desperately need more room to grow, has decided to reprint the letter for you here.

From Phaeloses of Newharbour, regarding the establishment of the first trade posts of the South Oceans Company of Larn.

Good my lord,

As ever I pray that you are in fine health, in good favour at court, and such. As usual, parchment is in short supply, so please take the usual formalities as read.

I write to inform you that we are not, as we had hoped, the first to cross the ocean and establish a presence here.

We were aware that the Illyria Trade Council have sent delegations and intend to establish fortified trade posts. But both they and we were chasing another. It seems that colonists have arrived from Port Tal.

They have made made camp on ancient temple ruins. The locals, being superstitious savages, believed that the temples were haunted, and so think that these exotic men who have sailed the endless ocean and driven the spirits from these temples must be the gods returning to claim their homes. They have therefore taken to revering the Tallian colonists. So, these warlike savages have submitted meekly, joyfully, to the instructions of their supposed deities.

I wish we had managed to pull off something like that.

Still, I cannot but fear that this might all end badly for the people of Tal. There are few of them, hugely outnumbered by their adoring subjects. What would happen if their followers lost faith in them, or became too demanding?

The savages believe that some centuries ago their gods raised a wall of stone and fire to protect them from horrendous magics unleashed in the far south, that their gods saved the whole jungle land from destruction. They may have high hopes for the might of returning divinities. And what might a horde of pious savages do to gods who fail them?

- End of letter.

Although the information contained in the letter is cryptic, it’s easy to see that the southern lands are not to be joked about. Prepare your best landing parties and your strongest fighters if you care to travel there. The King expects full taxation to continue once your towns are established, and in return his mightiest minds will work on the mysteries that are contained there. You might very well be the one who solves the mystery of these broken lands. You might be the one to conquer them.

Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 05:32
Old news.  My rangers had this report months ago.  Someone is asleep on the job in Centrum, I think.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 05:42
Wait, so our taxes are still going to King Sigurd?  Even if we are across the ocean???

Some people never learn ...
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordigui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 06:16
That is why King Sigurd put already a town on Broken lands ...
There is uncertainty in many things around us and in the universe ... but not in taxes! :(
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014 at 14:44
...nor death...
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic