Topic ClosedTerrain testing results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 20:17

ok so, as Xilla said that does many tests Smile

and i dont know if someone has already found a way to find the bonus of each unit, on each square...

actually, for me, the only bonuses we can find are the bonuses of of each units on plains (if we suppose that swordmen receive no bonus on plains).

xilla View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 21:34
Originally posted by Mandarins31 Mandarins31 wrote:

There are only 4 terrain type. Mountains, Hills, Forests and Plains.

I don(t think that Lonely peaks, for exemple, gives more Def bonus to Archers than Treacherous Mountains.

But yes finally we dont know, and we may be careful of that.

Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

...all squares in Illyriad pretty much fall into one of 4 categories:
  • Plains
  • Mountains
  • Hills
  • Forests
Within those 4 types, there are subcategories (Light Forest and Dense Forest, Small Hills and Large Hills etc).  Whatever the "general" bonus or penalty to combat for each terrain type is generally smaller on the 'lesser' version of the square, and larger on the 'greater' version of the square.

If only we could get a GM to tell us whether or not the modifier is the same in att and def, and if a troop isn't mentioned in the description then do they have a modifier or not.
bartimeus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 23:25

Part of the fun is to discover that ourselves.

Bartimeus, your very best friend.
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 23:25

hehe ok so that's a piece of evidence  Smile

to know if there is a difference between atk and def bonus for an unit, u just need to do a battle on a square with the same power for attackers and defenders of a same type.
then this is a so close battle: no modifier difference. if not u can just say if this unit have more def or more atk on this square.

if i had a question to ask to a GM that would be this one for exemple:

what is the defense modifer of archers on the "lesser" and the "greater" version of each type of square?

if only we had those 8 numbers, we could find the modifier on atk and def for each unit on each square.

But that may be a too big ask Smile

xilla View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 03:11
Originally posted by Mandarins31 Mandarins31 wrote:

hehe ok so that's a piece of evidence  Smile

to know if there is a difference between atk and def bonus for an unit, u just need to do a battle on a square with the same power for attackers and defenders of a same type.
then this is a so close battle: no modifier difference. if not u can just say if this unit have more def or more atk on this square.

if i had a question to ask to a GM that would be this one for exemple:

what is the defense modifer of archers on the "lesser" and the "greater" version of each type of square?

if only we had those 8 numbers, we could find the modifier on atk and def for each unit on each square.

But that may be a too big ask Smile

Might be the same on one square, have to do 4 sets of battles with each troop type. Thats 48 battles to prove it for all units on all terrain.

Plus, whose to say the t1 and t2 units have the same modifiers?

The best question to ask, and it only requires one figure, is a single troop-terrain combo that has a zero modifier bonus (ie value of 1).

Edited by xilla - 02 Sep 2010 at 03:15
Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:42

When you clcik the XML report you see a combat terrain type:

<location>
  <X>354</X>
  <Y>-322</Y>
  <terrainspecifictype id="25">Bleak Mountains</terrainspecifictype>
  <terraincombattype id="1">Large Mountain</terraincombattype>

I

Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 10:55
Anyone been doing any terrain testing ?

I have started some and have some results. Ex. infantry gets -10% "bonus" for attacking small mountains (ex Mountains). 
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 14:33

i did some pre-tests with a friend, but i stopped after the city move.

we found some bonus on plains, supposing that infantry had 0 bonus.

i dont know how did you find -10% bonus attack for infantry on small mountains, because normally you can just say that you had 10% bonus difference between infantry's attack and defender's defence.

you can just define a difference of bonus between the attack of an unit and the def of an other unit... and if you want to put "real bonus" you just have to chose 1 type of unit to have 0% bonus or whatever... and then you find the bonus of the other units by comparaison.

but just knowing the difference  of bonus between each units on a square, you can create a calculator that would give you the exact difference of strengh between an attacking and a defending army on the chosen square.
it could say: attackers have 60% more strengh than defenders, for exemple.

but personnally i dont know how to create that kind of calculator, and there are too many tests to do, and Gm's said that new terrain types will appear... so i stopped the tests for the moment.

Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 14:53
hmm... that would be many variables, as for each terrain you would have influence on units, commanders, commander stats, etc.
And you need at least to have one battle report for each variable (damn math Confused) to solve that equitation system, perhaps 128 (4 terains*32 unittypes) without siegeweapons and without commander influence, so many, many battles for exact battle equitation (hmm ... if I'm not totally wrong 128*(128^n) ,  where n is the number of commander stats influencing battle). Geek

Oh, I even forgot to add those NPC and special units... Confused

I would help running some armies into another for getting at least that 128 with same commander (not lvled up!), but in the end we can only hope for the GM's telling us Wink
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 14:56
oh, OK, n is a bit smaller (or vanishes), as we know exact numbers there...
so only those 128*128, when someone is smart enough to calculate back all those commander stats... (might be some work...)

Edited by Hora - 07 Feb 2011 at 14:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic