illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teaser: Illyriad Helper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teaser: Illyriad Helper
    Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 17:53
In this era of reduced hostility, we'll be opening up the Illyriad Helper for a limited time, perhaps for August.

Use it to see where your towns are, where your allies are, and where the inactive players are (use with great care!). One caveat: the Inactive data has a hole in it, which makes it slightly less useful, but this will improve with time.

Teaser screenshot (yes, it covers Broken Lands too)

Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 23:29
We're live!

It's a bit rough-and-ready, so you need to follow these steps:
  • copy this URL into your browser - it's where the app is
  • change 153 to be your alliance number, or leave blank if you're not in an alliance.
How to find your alliance number
  1. Browse here: http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance
  2. Then press the Members sub-menu. You'll then see your alliance number in the URL bar.
So if you're in the esteemed mCrow alliance, you'll use ?a=153

Known Issues
  1. Unusual characters might not work in the Player Names. It's just a character encoding issue.
  2. I might withdraw this, if my servers become too burdened.

Enjoy!

Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 05:11
Nice!
But - what do the different colours mean, and the big white Xes?

It would also be nice if names displayed when mousing over towns belonging to other alliances.
And the proper encoding to use is UTF-8, that should take care of your character distortion problem.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 09:06
Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

what do the different colours mean, and the big white Xes?
X = 'Tournament 8' square. Not relevant now; night disappear soon.
Red dot = Abandoned
Yellow dot = Inactive
Green dot = Allied
Blue dot = Trade Hub (Elgea only)

You don't see everyone's towns: just those listed in the tabs. So non-allied towns that are active won't appear on the map. This keeps the page quick and uncluttered.

Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

And the proper encoding to use is UTF-8, that should take care of your character distortion problem.
Yes, I have that enabled everywhere I can. I'm missing something though, and I should be able to find it when I look.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 02:44
What's up with the old data notification in the upper right?  Is the data not real time?

Love the tool!
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 12:43
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

What's up with the old data notification in the upper right?  Is the data not real time?

Love the tool!
I manually upload the data; the whole chain is not automated.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 13:04
a. That's updated now.
b. What's on the wish-list for features? Here's what I have in mind, in no particular order:
  1. Have an 'Alliance' drop-down, and load each alliance as required. You can still have the ?a= parameter so it auto-loads an alliance.
  2. Reflection of diplomatic stance, and stacking alliances on the map.
  3. Named trade hubs (Elgea and Broken Lands).
  4. UI: Click on list to zoom in map.
  5. UI: Sortable lists, and frozen list headers.
  6. Have 'Items of Interest' on the map.
  7. Integration with terrain data (due to the size of this data, it will be in distilled form only).
    1. Statistical summary of density of features (low resolution maps).
  8. Upgrade it from 'passive' to 'active' - needs a review of services and hosting. This opens up more:
    1. Personal logins, group permission structures,
    2. Map Annotations, saved views,
    3. Custom data sets (loadable lists labelled map points),
    4. Lots more...
Just to set expectations, it's unlikely that (8) will happen, but I foresee how it can be done.
Doing any of this would change it from an ad-hoc web page, into a refactored and well-structured app.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 01:24
Just a gentle reminder, that if you use this for harmless* thieving, you can avoid trouble by sending a message to your intended target, well before you send your diplomatic missions. It's part of my "honourable thief" code of conduct.

For more, read the Warnings section of the Helper's page.

*no pun intended.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2014 at 11:54
The Illyriad Helper saw 800+ visitor sessions last month.
We said we'd review whether or not to continue providing it after August.

Any arguments for or against, while I review the scaling/hosting implications?
DArtagnan View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DArtagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 00:55
I can appreciate the benefits on a personal basis ...but also see where aggressive troops can use the tool to target  individual targets and Alliances ...the Balance is I'd just as soon see it go away
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic