Topic ClosedStreamlined Building Demolition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streamlined Building Demolition
    Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 12:02
With the inordinate amount of demolition these new builings are sparking I'd like to see building demolition made alot easier.

The whole 'going into the castle then finding the building on a drop down list' thing is pretty tedious... especially when it is very easy to select the wrong building from the list by accident, and there is no "would you like to confirm this demolition?" warning.

I would like to see a 'demolish' button in the same screen as the 'upgrade' buttons.

And once you accidentally start demolishing your level 20 mage tower when you were only trying to demolish a level 1 vault there is no way to cancel the demolition - IMO there should be a 2 minute 'grace' period - the same as sending armies.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 13:24
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

I would like to see a 'demolish' button in the same screen as the 'upgrade' buttons

This sounds worse than the list...it's a lot easier to accidentally click a button than it is to select something from a list **not double check it's the thing you want to destroy** and then confirm it.

Edit: Forgot to be constructive. =P Perhaps there could be an individual screen much like the one that shows all your buildings and their levels and you could select them from there. There should also be a big "Are you sure you wanna destroy X level X?" sign when you go to destroy something.

Edited by Brids17 - 23 Sep 2011 at 13:30
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 14:01
I'd support a big red button at the top of the page where you'd level-up (backed by a confirmation dialog). Sov has the buttons right next to each other, which is less distinct; I've not seen complaints yet.

2-minute grace period, I'd support too. Just last week, I made the 'mistake' of selecting a building from the drop-down using my keyboard. It queued my L20 Lumberjack even though my Vault was the visible selection. I did it twice before I noticed :o(  Petition written.
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 14:08
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

Just last week, I made the 'mistake' of selecting a building from the drop-down using my keyboard. It queued my L20 Lumberjack even though my Vault was the visible selection. 

Awh that was nasty!!
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 14:26
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

This sounds worse than the list...it's a lot easier to accidentally click a button than it is to select something from a list **not double check it's the thing you want to destroy** and then confirm it.

1 - You would not select the WRONG building to demolish because you would have to open up that specific building interface (like you do when you're upgrading) - i.e. it is MUCH harder to demolish the wrong building with my method.

2 - You would not be accidentally demolishing (instead of upgrading) because you would either have a 'confirmation box' (like when you are auto-killing or disbanding a commander) or you would have a 2 minute grace period to cancel the demolition.

3 - When you are trying to demolish many builings in many towns quickly it is very easy to click the wrong building in the list, or click the right one and the wrong one loads, and hit confirm before the drop down menu has loaded your selection (as Albatross confirms).

4 - With my suggested method it would involve loading 1 less page every time you want to demolish a building.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 15:25

1 - You would not select the WRONG building to demolish because you would have to open up that specific building interface (like you do when you're upgrading) - i.e. it is MUCH harder to demolish the wrong building with my method.

I never said you'd click the wrong building, I simply said this would make it easier to misclick it. IE: you go to your level 19 mage tower and go to upgrade it but accidentally click demolish instead.

2 - You would not be accidentally demolishing (instead of upgrading) because you would either have a 'confirmation box' (like when you are auto-killing or disbanding a commander) or you would have a 2 minute grace period to cancel the demolition.

This was not explained in the post I replied to so my comment can't really be blamed.

3 - When you are trying to demolish many builings in many towns quickly it is very easy to click the wrong building in the list, or click the right one and the wrong one loads, and hit confirm before the drop down menu has loaded your selection (as Albatross confirms).

I've never experienced the bug Alba explained but I don't think that alone is reason to remove the current system. As for not reading before clicking the confirm, that's your own fault and nothing mechanically can fix that. 

4 - With my suggested method it would involve loading 1 less page every time you want to demolish a building.

I understand that but I'm still against it being on the same screen as the upgrading. Having a separate screen for demolition only would be a better option.
bucky View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 18:55
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

As for not reading before clicking the confirm, that's your own fault and nothing mechanically can fix that. 

if i remember correctly from a few hours ago, there IS no confirmation to demolish as things stand - simply adding that would be take care of the building selection issue, although it would not clean up the undeniable clunkiness of the current demollition interface which createure rightfully points out.
"If you are the master be sometimes blind, if you are the servant be sometimes deaf." - R. Buckminster Fuller
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 20:08
Confirmation would be you clicking the button after you selected a building. If you click a building then don't read it to make sure it is indeed the building you want to de-level and just click demolish, that's really your own fault.
bucky View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 20:10
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

It queued my L20 Lumberjack even though my Vault was the visible selection.

this was an interface issue, not a user error.

Edited by bucky - 23 Sep 2011 at 20:11
"If you are the master be sometimes blind, if you are the servant be sometimes deaf." - R. Buckminster Fuller
Torn Sky View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 17:01
On the buildings page have

Summary  Production  Demolish

This would be a simpler way to demolish a building with out the chance of interface errors or complaints if you demo a building it your own fault and the devs could add the prestige option so the less patient portion of the populace can insta-build their demo ques
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic