Topic ClosedStep-By-Step Guide to Joining an Alliance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step-By-Step Guide to Joining an Alliance
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 21:57
Do you need to join an alliance? No. But they can be very helpful and fun. They can answer questions, send resource help, offer military help if you're attacked, help resolve disputes you have with other players, provide fun chat on Alliance Chat, and more.

Research Needed
Step 1: Click on an empty plot in your city and build a library.

Step 2: When you have enough research points available, move your mouse over the green Research button on the menu, then select the "Available to Research" side button. Research Negotiation. Wait for this research to finish before asking an alliance to send you an invite.

Learning about Alliances
Step 1: Move your mouse over the Alliances Overview button on the menu, then select the Find Alliance side button. You will see a list of alliances.

Alliances that have a "yes" under recruiting are accepting new members. Those with a "no" may still accept a new member, especially if one of their current members knows you and asks the leader on your behalf.

Distance indicates how close the alliance capital is to your city. If you like where your city is located, you might look for an alliance that has members close to you. (In the World Map, you can click on a city and View Player Profile to see if they are members of an alliance. There are more ways to check this discussed below.) If you don't like where your city is located, you can always move your city closer to where the alliance is.

Members and Population tell you how big the alliance is. An alliance can have a maximum of 100 members.

Some alliances have a tax which their members pay into the alliance treasury. This tax is a percentage taken from the tax you collect in each of your cities. This gold is held at your city but where you can't use it. Once a week (counted from the day you join the alliance), the gold is collected by the alliance and is placed in the alliance treasury. You can view the amount you are paying the toward alliance tax in the "taxation" section of your castle. [Thank you to Ryelle, Fluffy, and Johnny112 for providing information on how alliance taxes work.]

Step 2: Click on an alliance name in the list. Click on View Alliance Profile to get a summary of what the alliance stands for and expects of it's members. This is the Summary page.

Click on the Players seal to see who are the members of that alliance. Once you're a member of an alliance, you can check this page to see who in your alliance is online.

Click on the Map seal to see where the alliance members' cities are located on the world map.

Click on the Diplomacy seal to see which other alliances this alliance has Non-Aggression Pacts (NAP) with, who they are at war with, and similar information.

Click on the Forum seal to see any information the alliance has posted for the general public to read.

Step 3: You can also learn about alliances by watching Global Chat and seeing which people you'd like to be in an alliance with. In the chat window, you can click on the player's name and click View Profile to view the player's personal profile (their alliance is given under their name) or click View Alliance Profile to view information about their alliance.

Step 4: If you have questions about an alliance, you can send a message asking those questions to the leaders of the alliance. Under the alliance's Player list, you can click on a player's name and select the Send Message option. Enter a subject, ask your questions, and hit the Send button.

Joining an Alliance
Step 1: Look for an alliance that is taking new members, is near you (if that's important), and has rules and goals you can live with. When you join an alliance, it does mean that the alliance leaders have some say over what you do on the game. If the alliance rules or principles don't match yours, this may become a problem for you later.

Step 2: Once you've decided which alliances you might like to join, you can send them a message asking for an invitation to join their alliance. Look for information on who to contact about recruitment on the Alliance Summary page.

Step 3: Click on the Players seal, click on the name of the recruitment officer, and click on Send Message. Ask them to send you an invitation to their alliance. You might include information about why you chose their alliance and/or your goals on the game.

Step 4: Wait. It may take several days before you hear back from the alliance. If you haven't heard back from them after several days, you might try sending a message to the other recruiting officers (if listed). Often times, several of the leaders in the alliance have the ability to issue invitations to the alliance. If the wait is too long for you, you can always ask for an invitation from another alliance which also seems acceptable to you.

You'll receive a message when an invitation is issued to you. You can also check for invitations by moving your mouse over the Alliances Overview menu button and clicking on the Alliance Recruitment side button. Under the Alliance Invitations Issued To You section, you'll see who is sending you the invitation and which alliance it is for. You can Decline or Accept an invitation by clicking on the correct button next to the invitation.

Step 5: When you receive an invitation from an alliance that you like, under the Alliance Recruitment page, click on the accept button next to the invitation.

Congratulations! You're now a part of an alliance.

Get active in your alliance by checking out the alliance chat and alliance forum. Move your mouse over the Mail menu button, then select the Chat side button. Click the "off" next to the Alliance Chat so it changes to "on," then click on the Change button. An Alliance Chat window will appear below your Global Chat window. If the alliance chat window doesn't appear, try refreshing the page or logging out and then logging back in.

On your alliance's profile page, click on the Forums seal. Click on the Alliance Forum to see what other members are talking about.

Other Things to Consider
Large alliances are more likely to have experienced players who can share their wisdom, easily provide resource help, and who probably have large armies to help you if you're attacked. However, each alliance can only have a maximum of 100 members, so smaller alliances might be quicker to invite you into their alliance. If you like a large alliance and they have a sister alliance, you might ask to join the sister alliance instead. They will have the same focus and be closely allied to the larger alliance.

There are "training alliances" who accept players that are new to the game and who help new players get going. Many alliances will do this, but training alliances are more open to your joining them until you're doing well, then leaving them for another alliance. If you're not sure which alliance you want to join, these alliances might be a good place to start until you get to know the game and alliances better. Illy Training Ground, Shrap's Mem. Academy, Free Defense Union, and Toothless? are examples of training alliances.

Leaving an Alliance
If you wish to leave your alliance, go to your alliance's Summary page. Click on the Quit Alliance button at the bottom of this page. You then need to wait 6 hours before you can join another alliance or form a new one.

It's polite to tell your alliance leaders why you're leaving before you do. If you wish to join another alliance, most likely that alliance will want to know why you left your previous alliance.

Alliance Leaders, Give Us Details!

UPDATE: The_Dude and I have been talking through the game message system and came up with the following idea. Alliance leaders are encouraged to put their answers to the below questions on this thread under the recruitment forum. Those interested in joining an alliance can find the answers to the below questions there.

Since the Find Alliance summaries sometimes don't contain the information newbies are most concerned with, all LEADERS of alliances are welcome and encouraged to post the answers to the following questions in this thread. You do not have to completely answer all of the questions, but the more you answer, the better. Also, please be sure to edit your post to keep the information up-to-date or delete your post if the alliance becomes inactive.

If nothing else, these are the type of questions a player might ask of an alliance before joining.

Alliance Name:

Recruitment Contact:

Are you currently accepting new members?

Who can join (any restrictions to race, location, population level, etc.)?

What are some benefits of joining your alliance (protection, training, etc)?

What does the alliance stand for? What are it's goals and governing principles?

What type of player are you looking for as members?

Can players freely leave the alliance if they wish? If not, what are the consequences of leaving? What would cause the leaders to remove a player from the alliance?

What rules govern the alliance? For example, diplomats and troops: who can they be used against in a hostile manner (no one, only NPCs or certain factions, only those at war with, only inactives, only with permission, anyone not in the alliance or in NAP with your alliance, etc)?

If the alliance has a tax on its members, what is the money used for?

[Edited to fix incorrect information and add a training alliance to that list.]

Edited by Mara Zira - 24 Jan 2012 at 17:33
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 21:58
Removed due to objections.

Edited by Mara Zira - 06 Sep 2011 at 03:40
Sheogorath View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 22:43

Edited by Sheogorath - 06 Sep 2011 at 22:59
=Colonialism At Its Finest=
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 01:32
MZ,

I think your step-by-step guides are fantastic.  Keep up the good work.

However, you 2nd post in this thread promotes VIC.  While VIC is an excellent alliance and I count VIC a true friend, perhaps this thread is not the best forum for promoting alliances for recruiting.

Anyway, just a thought from the peanut gallery (me).  
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 02:48
I personally agree with TD, recruitment posts should be separate from help posts.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 03:23
I'm confused by the general feeling that I'm asking for recruitment posts rather than for helpful information that is relevant  to the guide. I've read the recruitment posts, and they aren't the same as the information-collection I'm asking for here. If the only objection is that VIC is first in line, I can take that off. But it would also seem odd that they can't have their information here simply because I wrote the guide. Please explain to me what I'm misunderstanding.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 03:27
Alliance information isn't a strategy, tip or trick.  It's not topical.  But if you feel strongly about this, then you should do what you think is best.
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 03:30
Rill, at the moment, I feel like striping every help post I've written and leaving the game. When I do something that saves the global chat helpers time, it's "fantastic." But you don't trust my judgment or intentions. That hurts.

I spent hours writing this guide and am doing my best to help players find the alliance best for them. I would have found something like this very helpful as a newbie, but I feel like I'm being accused of wrong behavior for some reason. Alliance information is a strategy, tip or trick. Getting into the right one will mean the difference between the success of your goals and the failure. If you haven't found that to be true of your alliance, I'm surprised.

I am not saying everyone should join VIC. Believe me, part of the reason I was doing this was so that the people mis-matched with VIC (or other alliances) don't join them. Plus VIC is pretty full on members right now.

Edited by Mara Zira - 06 Sep 2011 at 05:06
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 03:30
There's no harm in it, it was a little odd reading through it, but then She and Sheo put together their alliance info on the topic that shows how to join an alliance.  It was like she was telling how to join up, then gave out an official documentation that shows how to join VIC.  No harm, like part of the learning process.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 03:59
I just quit VIC so this post wouldn't be seen purely as a disguised promotional post. What people decide to do with this thread from here on out is up to you all. After all, it was you I wrote it for.

Edited by Mara Zira - 06 Sep 2011 at 04:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic