FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[SOUTH] - Code of Conduct Signatories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 14:18
There have been talks about the possibility of an Illy Code of Conduct. The Dominion had a few very promising talks with Dittobite about such an agreement. They didn't really lead anywhere but the interest is there.

I suggest that if you want to do something about it, try drawing something up and contacting a few major alliances to see their opinions. Very little diplomacy done on the forums has ever led to any good.
Garth View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 14:31
Originally posted by Velociryx Velociryx wrote:

You WANT the symbols.  You WANT the elation of seeing your foes humiliated, and they're not giving it to you.
That makes you mad.  I get it...I do.
But let's face it...you could have Peace today if you wanted it.  It's just that the symbols are more important to you...

1. I disagree, as mentioned in the other thread: symbols are just symbols, it's the meaning behind them that's significant. If H? were to come up with a counteroffer that was satisfactory to the leaders of the GA, it wouldn't matter what "the symbols" were.
2. The "foes" have *already* been humiliated, as it were. Sure, it could get worse, but how much?
3. The GA could have a *ceasefire* without a surrender if they wished, not "peace." If you look at the early tone of the war, H? (And their allies) made it very clear that they would never give up/surrender, they would take notes of every single town and player involved on both sides, that all damage would be made accountable etc. And those of us who have observed H? know how excellent their record keeping is, how specifically they calculate and carry out their accounting.
Garthen
Velociryx View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 14:38
I mostly agree - it doesn't matter what (specific) symbols get used...they want them.

The problem is...H? is refusing to cooperate.  If I were in their shoes, I would like to think I'd do the same thing, and here's why:

When the war is plainly and obviously won (as it is now), and the winning side CONTINUES TO attack...observe the result.

Public opinion begins to shift and change.

Even among those who once supported the ideas behind the war...suddenly it starts to seem distasteful.  As distasteful as it would no doubt seem to the community if SOUTH (3m) picked a fight with Illy Beach Club (600k) and hunted them to extinction.

I daresay that before we got to that point, the community at large would have had enough of us and let us know that in no uncertain terms.

That is exactly what's beginning to happen here.

I NEVER post, and yet felt compelled to.  Not because I have a dog in this fight, but simply because that's where we ARE...H? is down.  They're done.  And we've got the victors continuing to kick them.

That's what brought me here.

The general sentiment, whatever it once was, is shifting.  The alarm bells are beginning to ring.

HATHALDIR View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HATHALDIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 14:54
H? is not refusing to negotiate, it is happening in its own time, with absolutely no help from your particular brand of encouragement.
You don't have a skin in the game, so instead ask what you can do to help!
There's worse blokes than me!!
Velociryx View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 15:36
Two points, Sir Hath:
You're the designated negotiator for the Grand Alliance, and by your own admission, you don't even have a peace thread in the diplo section.

And second, I offered to meet your peace terms PERSONALLY.  That's me offering 2bn gold and 40% of my account.  OFFERING to put skin in the game.

You can accept your own peace terms or not....tho you might look a bit silly to make them then refuse them.  ;)

That's the bottom line, innit?

No more negotiation needed.  I'm offering you everything you said you wanted in order to pack up your $hit, head home and call it a day--well, minus the four large and imposing siege groups that would then be headed my direction of course.  Do you accept your own peace terms?

PS:  As to my particular brand of encouragement - I'm a firm believer in giving people what they want.  Thus, my offer.  Because I'm an encouraging kind of guy.. ;)

Edited by Velociryx - 18 Jul 2014 at 16:32
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by Velociryx Velociryx wrote:

I'm a firm believer in giving people what they want.

Vel, obviously noone wants your stuff. It was a kind offer, why are you getting angry about the others not accepting?

About the example with your alliance attacking a smaller one... I think it doesn't apply here. 
In this case, at least the official war declaration was issued by H?, so the "smaller" side started. 
Second, an (IMO acceptable) offer for surrender terms was made, which was so far not agreed about. 
Thirdly, they're still negotiating, which usually doesn't include nor you, nor me. 

As this is an open forum, feel free to comment and advice (I do so, too Wink), but you have to accept, if the warring parties simply don't like your idea.
Velociryx View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 17:29
Oh, I agree...except it's not really my idea.  It's more a matter of balking at acceptance of their own idea, but...you know. ;)

(and no - I'm not upset in the least.  Amused and bemused, but I absolutely don't find any of this to be upsetting)  EDIT:  Well, not the part relating to the offer in any case.

Edited by Velociryx - 18 Jul 2014 at 17:32
Velociryx View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velociryx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 18:07
Forgot to reply to this bit:
About the example with your alliance attacking a smaller one... I think it doesn't apply here. 
In this case, at least the official war declaration was issued by H?, so the "smaller" side started.
__
That's certainly a fair point, so let's turn it around.  Let us imagine that Illy Beach Party (apologies to you guys, btw, you were just the first alliance I saw that fit my criterion!) got a wild hair up their butts and decided to declare against us.

After we had stripped them of their capacity to do us serious harm...after we had reduced them by 50-60%, do you think it likely that the community at large would sit idly by as we continued to systematically destroy them, or is it at least conceivable that at some point, you'd begin to hear rumblings from within the community?

Conceivable?
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 02:04
Originally posted by Hora Hora wrote:

In this case, at least the official war declaration was issued by H?.

Nope. 

Even if you ignore all the declarations around RE, CK, NC, uCrow etc. The next major move was EE declaring on TVM then H? declaring on EE (since they broke the peace agreed at the end of the Consone war) and then everyone else jumped on H? et al.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 02:22
Which is, yes, you declaring your first war.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic