illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Illyriad For All

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 07:13
panacea, the best known version of the poem (according to wikipedia) you quoted does not contain the word nazi's, although the "they" does refere to them.  you were the one adding that offensive word. don't act surprised peolple are offended when an anonymous account calls them nazis. it is low anyway, but 
doing it anonymous makes it really sad.

Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 08:31
Guys and girls you need a rest.
Few weeks should be enough.

As much as you are trying to hide the facts, Illyriad is a credible copy of the real world.
Get used to it, and restrain the ego, this violence may look more beautiful.
Even if you add some flowers to your spears and swords, history may compare you to some great warriors.

Fiona View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 09:17
Celebrant, are you ok? Do you even know what your saying? Maybe a few weeks rest would do you some good.

Cheers
Fiona
Panacea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panacea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 09:55
... do either of you understand the meaning behind that quote, beyond the specific scope of WWII? Or do you just see the word Nazi and assume someone is being compared to or accused of being one without taking any time or effort to understand whats being presented in its fullness?

It talks about the basic human tendency to allow things individuals consider to be injustices to continue unchallenged as long as the threat itself is not directly effecting them personally.

To continue to try and twist this into me accusing, or even comparing, players here to Nazis is ridiculous. The topic I was addressing is people willing to see perceived injustices and allow them to continue unchecked only until the problem is in their face. The comparisons, or relativity, to this forum post and the quote presented was with the speaker of the quote, not the adversaries he was facing.

So, while I'm sure its more fun to keep trolling the subject and trying to gear it back to some sort of Nazi debate, its not, and never was.

And Corwin - youre right, that wiki page does list it first. Had I gotten the quote from that page, i'd have been more than fine using it devoid of the word Nazi. But I got it from the wiki page about the author of the quote ( https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Niem%C3%B6ller ), which cites the version I used first as the original version, translated from German. There is also a few other versions listed below, including the one you mentioned. Youre probably right though, the version you mentioned would have been better fit for this audience. But, in either case, none of the versions of that quote support the argument that my words were accusing or comparing anyone here to Nazis.

TenK - No, I didnt use "anonymity to drop a real-life genocide reference in a video game dispute". Thats just what youre are accusing me of. I quoted a man speaking of humanities tendencies to ignore their values when a threat isnt directly effecting them. That the threat being referenced in his quote happened to be Nazis was only secondary, happenstance, and could be switched with any other perceived evil/villain/adversary and still held the same meaning. But you are choosing to view it otherwise, diligent in ignoring context, rationality, or explanation.

All in all, I probably should have excluded the quote completely though. Sadly, not because its not a relevant comparison, and not because its some sort of accusation towards players here being Nazis - I should have omitted it because I should well know by now that the vast majority of people arent capable of reading something with intentions to understand it. Instead you'd rather pick a single word out of multiple paragraphs, add your own wild interpretations unsupported by the text, and then use your new found nonsense to wage a verbal war based on absurdity until any trace of the original meaning is lost to obscurity.

Malek View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:28
Panacea, 
The people before have been quite liberal in labelling myself in particular all sorts of names.  Did it bother me? No. 
Only when those same people started to complain when I fired back did I get annoyed. The people before you have ruined anything you will have to say on this topic. 
I saw the meaning in your post, though to make it much easier, I have not gone after people one by one, I am actively engaging them all at once. Your point is moot. 
Corwin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:35
Panacea, I know you're not accusing anyone of being a nazi, or making a comparison to ww2. My point was that the term nazi is considered as negative by (almost) everyone. If you had replaced it with retards, assholes or any other bad name it would have had the same result. You turned to namecalling from your anonymity. And saying it's a quote is no excuse. You could easily let the namecalling out of it, and the point of the quote would have been the same.

Don't be surprised people feel offended when you choose to use offensive words. 

If I get it right you're saying people don't dare to step up as long as "it" doesn't concern them, and if I get it right, you feel like they should because "it" could happen to them to, sooner or later. If you really feel that way, then step up and out of anonymity. 
I think you're right when you're saying people should not complain about landclaims while they don't do anything about it. Not sure if you're saying that though. 

Edited by Corwin - 23 Oct 2017 at 10:35
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 16:08
Originally posted by Celebrant Celebrant wrote:

As much as you are trying to hide the facts, Illyriad is a credible copy of the real world.

Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 16:09
So has the game been saved yet for all?  Asking for a friend...
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 17:29
Originally posted by Celebrant Celebrant wrote:

Get used to it, and restrain the ego, this violence may look more beautiful.

ShockedShockedShocked

Just wondering if the devs should post this masterpiece quote as a shiny example of user feedback...

On that note, time to send my thieves to Starbucks, even though my couch doesn't know how to quit generating gold.

Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 17:46
Originally posted by Fiona Fiona wrote:

Celebrant, are you ok? Do you even know what your saying? Maybe a few weeks rest would do you some good.

Cheers
Fiona

I love you

http://https://www.rosesonly.com.au/Skin/RosesOnly/Images/Products/850,850/WowHundredsofRosesArrangement.jpg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic