illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saving Illyriad For All

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 17:08
Server never has and never will be militarized. Small pockets are, yet people still move there and then get all angry when their neighbours who are known to be warmongers attack them. Really? Is this game really so full of idiots? Get serious folks. If you really do not like conflict then doh, do not move to areas where you will find it. This does not take a genius to figure this out. We have been fighting and killing each other in and around Fellandire for years now. Lets stop the bullsh*t for a bit and drop the whining and moaning. If you peaceful players really wanted peace you would not be located near us. You only have yourselves to blame.
Kaggen is my human half
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 17:32
Originally posted by Benedetti Benedetti wrote:

TK, you are not entirely honest when you say you are not a part of what LOKI does. Stuk and others have made it clear on several occasions that an attack on either LOKI, SIN, 300 etc will be seen as an attack on all (and I think you agree with that?), and if needed (which in itself is of course far from certain) other alliances in the SINdicate will step up. As such, you and 300 are a part of the intimidation and power projected by LOKI, and people who see LOKI as a problem rightly see you as part of that problem.

Benedetti, that's not even how real world alliances work.

NATO is a framework of mutual defense. If one member is attacked, the others will respond. The allies do not dictate national policy to the other nations. The only exception is actions that affect either their national interest directly, or the alliance as a whole.

300 will fight for the players who will fight for us. That's especially true of good comrades who have fought beside us in the past. If that makes enemies hesitant to enter Fellandire and start a fight, then good, the confederation is having the desired effect. I have had occasional misgivings about actions taken by other SINdicate members, but those thoughts are expressed in private to the individuals involved. Unsympathetic as it might sound, I will always prefer to fight for the people who will fight for me, over a dozen strangers who would watch in silence as I burn.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 08:16
NATO?

North Atlantic Terroristic Organisation
You meant that NATO?

Sometimes it's good to pause, say: It's enough!
Some players should rest.
Let them breathe.

Edited by Celebrant - 21 Oct 2017 at 09:33
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:31
Hey! GMs, does talking about NATO and Terrorism count as a enough to shutdown a thread on rl political grounds? If not, let me know and I'll launch into a rant on Theresa May.
Panacea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Panacea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 07:10
Regarding the initial post-

This may be just a game, but given the large amount of freedom given to individuals in this sandbox world, you have to expect the way things are handled to reflect the real word to a degree. In the real world, a vast majority of people could be easily thought of as farmville people - they do their own thing, have little ambition to harm others, and would rather exist in a place where peace and harmony triumph absolutely. Yet, it only takes a small number of people (relatively speaking) to mess things up for everyone else. Those people can, and often do, use propaganda, fear-mongering, and brute force to achieve their goals, disrupting the lives of anyone around them at whim. And they are often successful because 'farmvillers' dont tend to fight back until the war is already on their doorstep, less something else makes joining the fight profitable.

So, to that end, if you don't like the direction this virtual world is heading in, take it upon yourself to change it. At some point you have to decide how much these injustices mean to you. Will you continue to stay to yourself as long as you or your alliance is not currently the target? Will you just give up? Will you be content just talking about it? Will you burn? Or will you rise to the occasion?

Whether a game or reality, life presents adversity - the evils, the bad guys, the haters.

The solution should be obvious: the game needs Heroes. People to stand behind these righteous viewpoints and back them with blood, sweat and tears... ok, maybe just pixels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cerberus edit for forum rules, no politics and definitely no referring to other players and their tactics as "Nazi".

Edited by GM Cerberus - 22 Oct 2017 at 19:22
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 16:47
Originally posted by Panacea Panacea wrote:

Or will you rise to the occasion?

Maybe they will rise to the occasion like you, Panacea. They can make anonymous trolling posts on a forum, comparing people to Nazis for playing a video game involving troops. Your account was obviously created for anonymously badmouthing land claims. Is that what you consider rising to the occasion?

Originally posted by Panacea Panacea wrote:

Whether a game or reality, life presents adversity - the evils, the bad guys, the haters.

The solution should be obvious: the game needs Heroes. People to stand behind these righteous viewpoints and back them with blood, sweat and tears... ok, maybe just pixels.

If Heroes back their righteous viewpoints with pixelated blood, sweat, and tears, then I propose that the game has already found its heroes. We are the warriors actively opposing the toxic Elgean hegemony that has sabotaged tournaments, shoved new and small alliances to the periphery, and maintained a stranglehold over metagame politics. Do you see people rushing to defend that smug ogliarchy? I don't. Maybe the FarmVille players are stepping back because they realize the unelected rulers of Elgea have sucked the joy out of their FarmVille gameplay. You're trying to scare them into fighting by conjuring images of terrifying villains, but people aren't buying that story anymore. I think many of them are weary of a political scene where a few big spenders dominate a whole continent from a throne built of permasats.

Cerberus edit, editing out edited out quote.

Edited by GM Cerberus - 22 Oct 2017 at 19:23
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 19:10

I guess it's a great feeling when you see yourself as a savior.

Panacea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panacea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 19:47
haha, oh my...

Well TenK, firstly, I'm only using this account because I lost the password to my other one, and apparently my main email is linked to this name that was created when i was first researching the game. It didnt really occur to me when writing this that people wouldn't know who i was, but it retrospect it should have. Though, your reply makes me wonder why anonymity offends you so much. Nothing I said here requires a verified source of origin to be true, so why does it bother you? Regardless, for the time i'll just move past your insults at me and address the actual point of my initial reply.

Youre assuming far too much. Sure, the initial post may have been directed towards the SINdicate, but my reply was not. In fact, I tried to take efforts to leave my reply generic enough so as not to directly implicate any one person or group, because - for the point I was trying to make - it's irrelevant. The sarcastic side of me would think that you took it as a shot at you because it described SINdicate tactics well. Though, the more practical side says you likely took it as a shot at you because you are just getting used to so many people trying to make you and your group out to be the evil bad guys and such. It seems to me that the part about "propaganda, fear-mongering, and brute force to achieve their goals, disrupting the lives of anyone around them at whim" fits with what SINdicate has accused the old Elgean alliances of, being one of the rallying cries used to recruit members to SINdicate to fight the evils that plague the game. At the same time, it also describes how many of those Elgeans feel about the SINdicate or the use of land claims. But, despite that, you chose to view it as an attack on you. I find that interesting.

So, for you, and for anyone else who cant see past their own perspective: being a good guy/Hero and being a bad guy/evil villian are 100% relative ideals. To vCrow, SIN was/is the bad guy. To SIN, vCrow was/is the bad guy. And so forth. People rarely see themselves as evil or wrong in their endeavors, so its natural for every side of a conflict to see themselves as the righteous Heroes. MY POINT was only that if these things bother someone so much, and one views it as wrong, injustice, or bad for the game, then that someone will likely have to take it farther than words to change things, much in the same way SINdicate has done. In a way, my reply was a complement for your group for doing exactly what I hope others will do - take action against something that bothers you.

As for me: no, it doesnt bother me enough to try and change it. I do not feel with any conviction of a 'right way' for this game to progress, and as such see no point in fighting half-heartedly. I can see the viewpoint of both sides (whether these current conflicts or ones of the past), each with their own merits and shortfalls. The extremes of any single play style seem damning to the game, though I am genuinely unsure which would end up worse in the long run if that style were to prevail. But that doesnt mean I wont chime in every now and then in hopes of motivating those who are unhappy to make efforts to change things.

Lastly, as far as the quote... Sure, the quote itself directly involves Nazis, but the concept being expressed spans far beyond that. I considered changing the wording to better reflect the game world ("When the Underworlders came for the Elves, I remained silent; I was not an Elf."), but even though it would still present the same overall meaning, it seemed a little insulting to the original quote, so I left it be hoping readers could look beyond the specifics of the event it described and see beyond to the greater message in which it describes. To assume I'm calling anyone here Nazis over gamestyle is absurd.

In the end though, if even after my explanation here you still choose to view it as some sort of slight against you or your group in specific, then there's not much I can do to change that. But that's ok, really. You are already doing what my post is meant to encourage others to do: Fight for what you believe in. Be a Hero. Be someone elses Villain.
Rarknar View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rarknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 23:40
Read the first paragraph then scrolled down. I come to illyriad to get away from reading essays. I'm sure it was a great one though.
veni vidi vici
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 03:58
Panacea, you used anonymity to drop a real-life genocide reference in a video game dispute. Of course it offends me. It probably offended many reasonable people reading this thread. I could easily ask the reverse--if you aren't afraid to own that statement, why maintain anonymity?

My description of Heroes was hyperbole. As long as our adversaries insist on portraying us as villains, and themselves as the opposing heroes, I think it's reasonable to employ the same propaganda tactics. Both sides have legitimate complaints, and both have used some disagreeable tactics. I would be quite content if people admitted that this sandbox includes elements of conflict, particularly for the apex alliances, and just got on with it.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic