Topic ClosedResearch link suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rattlesnake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research link suggestion
    Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 10:25
For me, one of the most useful pages when deciding what to blow my research points on next is the "Research" tab in the library, as it shows all the things I could choose right now.  But that screen isn't available from the "Research Summary" menu at the top of the screen.

On the Research Summary page, the tab on the right, "Discoveries", does not seem to be doing anything right now.  It seems to me that it would make more sense to have the summary of what has already been learned under "Discoveries", and to have the summary tab mirror the "Research Summary" from the library.  It is a small thing, but I think it would make more sense that way.

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 13:11
Hi Rattlesnake,

Discoveries are different - they're actually entirely new technologies that cannot be researched through normal means.  But I'm not saying any more than that.

On the Research Summary display side, I'll page His Imperial Highness GM ThunderClap, Guardian of the Interface and Keeper of The Eternal Flame of Usability to this thread to see what he thinks.

Best,

GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
Rattlesnake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 14:02
I had wondered if Discoveries might end up being something like that.  Should have put that caveat in the first note.  :)

First a quote, to lend authority to my argument:  "I apologize for the length of this letter, I didn't have time to make it shorter." -Pascal

I feel this is also applicable to user interfaces, where you're not done until there is nothing more to take out.  Reducing user clicks reduces bandwidth, server load, and wasted time.   Simplifying the interface also reduces the load on the user's memory, since they don't have to remember as much to use the application effectively. 

Thinking about it further, I wonder if the interface couldn't be tightened up for some of the other top line menus as well.  Many of them are tightly coupled with their respective buildings:

Military / Barracks
Diplomacy / Consulate
Trade / Marketplace
Research / Library
Magic / Mage Tower

For each of these, I might suggest having one destination page whether you click on the building or the top menu.  This page would integrate the tabs from the building and the top menu pages. 

The building upgrade information would be on the first tab, and would be active if you came to that screen from the city map.  The top menu could lead to the movement summary pages or others as required.  But from there, it is one click to any information related to that city function.

This reduces screens to maintain in the interface, cuts down on the number of clicks needed to get around the interface, and groups related information more closely.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic