illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Report as Troll"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Report as Troll"
    Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 17:35
Given the sheer amount of trolling we've had lately, how about a shortcut to "Report as Troll" in the drop-down list when you click on someone's name.

Clicking could automatically generate a  log from Global Chat and send it in a petition.

While I don't see it happening, having a sort of "critical mass" to where if a certain number of players all used "Report as Troll" in a certain period of time, the person would be automatically chat-blocked for an hour. This would be helpful for cases like we've had lately where people come on, spam GC with walls of text and then create an alt as soon as they get spamhammered. To help keep it from being something that could be used as a vendetta type thing it could be coded to where it can only be used once per IP (Meaning you couldn't report them, then do so from your alt and sat accounts or have family members/roomates also report) and/or only so many reports from a single Alliance.
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lagavulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 18:05
don't like the idea of it being automated.  but a message generated and sent to Rikoo might be ok
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 18:10
The best way to deal with trolls of this sort is to use the "block in chat" feature.  It may be helpful to remind other players of this useful feature when a spammy troll comes online.  Usually Rikoo can easily hunt down such trolls himself.  (I do sometimes wonder if they have some sort of monitoring of the "block in chat" feature such that someone who is blocked a lot comes to Rikoo's attention.  If they don't, perhaps they should.)

If you find a troll really bothersome, you can also just drop GM Rikoo a mail.  He is usually on top of it.

The presence of trolls can be a positive thing -- it means more people are finding out about us!  I've noticed rather fewer truly new players as of just lately, probably that is why the trolls are more noticeable.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 18:50
The best way to deal with a troll is to block them, yes.

If you need to report them, feel free to send them to me in an IGM as soon as you can. I can see their chat logs and quickly stop them.

In the IGM, you might include the time and date, etc, (to help me when searching through the often walls-of-text that some of you put out! lol) but I am on so much that I usually stop them before anyone knows. I often get a half-dozen IGMs about it after they are already gone. :)

Anyway, if you have any questions just send me an IGM. Thanks!

Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 01:49
Just a quick note: any automated blocking that relied on user voting (actively or passively) would quickly become the new target for technically sophisticated trolls. Good moderation is the best countermeasure, and Illy does fairly well in that regard.
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 21:54
A good seiging can also do the trick Wink
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic