illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rare Minerals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rare Minerals
    Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 18:13
I'd like to see rare mines being able to be depleted and moved randomly elsewhere on the map. The reason I say this is because I see valuable mines, with sov claims or occupying armies, rarely being harvested. This is an abuse that needs to be fixed.

It can be implemented several different ways. If a mine is rarely used move it, spread out the mines so a few players can't control one mineral, limit how far from a town that sov can be claimed, etc...

I'm sure someone is going to comment 'Well just go and take the mine from them'. Game mechanics, alt accounts and politics makes that almost impossible.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 19:10
How is that abuse that the devs need to fix?  If you see someone who has a mine and doesn't use it, and you think the mine should be used then take it from them.  No no game mechanics, alt accounts, and politics don't make that impossible.  Besides devs don't have any affect on politics, or if someone has an alt account.  

Stop trying to have the devs fix all your 'problems' and fix them yourself.  A great example is the general newb friendly environment of the various players.   
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 20:10
Not sure if the newb friendly environment is an example of a problem that needs fixing or a fix to a potential problem there, DD89.

Wink
Sir Bradly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Bradly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 20:31
Whenever the magic release happens these rare mines will become very active.  The very rare items will be quite valuable and some territorial wars will likely happen.   I imagine some alliance will be open to sharing, while others will not.  

Epi, I guess you should ask them.  You never know if they will let you harvest or not.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 20:40
Perhaps you might contact them and offer a harvesting arrangement. That has worked for me in the past. If the owner really wants to constrict supply by hoarding or not mining, you can't really stop them. But moving mines randomly doesn't seem very realistic, and the friction caused by ownership is desirable.
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 21:00
I have to disagree with you DeathDealer. Game mechanics, alts and alliance politics play a huge role in this game.

If I decide 1 player doesn't need to hoard 7 Arterium mines or 3 Obsidian mines and I try to do something about it i'll have everybody in the alliance, their alts and their uncles knocking at my door. Game mechanics makes it take 1000 years to build up 10 towns and 2 days to destroy them...

I'm sure someone will read my statement and say 'stop whining' or some other derogatory remark that has to do with their perception of words on a screen and nothing to do with a statement I made to a feature that I think is hurting the game.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 21:27
To be honest, I wouldn't want the feature changed. It presently gives an advantage to diplomatic players like myself. =P The big players who grant me access to their rare resources are all very nice people. If you are building a harvesting focused town that will produce lots of rare material, they are usually willing to take a cut of the proceeds, accept crafted items, or just let you keep everything you harvest.

Arterium mines are big. If you want it, contact the player and propose to build a mining camp that can collect the full 500 units in one shot (or as much as possible). People generally don't turn down free money.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 01:17
Epi, I think this would make more sense if crafted equipment that required mineral input played a more meaningful role in overall strategies.  As it is, crafting equipment with rare minerals usually requires another input that is even more constrained, that respawns randomly and that cannot be effectively "claimed" by any single player or alliance.  I speak of course of elemental salts.

Having a mix of stationary and persistent and mobile and transitory resources can make the game more interesting.

That said, I do think it would be more interesting if some rare resources moved around a bit more.  Perhaps if herbs for example reset once a week?  I can see where this would be highly annoying to some people who set up their city for specific production, but at the same time I think harvesting somewhat lacks an element of spontaneity and whimsy.  It would be fun to wake up each morning (or at least once a week) with the question "I wonder what I'll find outside my city today."

Even if there were just random treasure troves that could be collected with cotters that appeared every so often and people scrambled to collect them before they disappeared, I think it would be sort of fun.

One could argue that this would make the game too "easy" or be too "random," but I personally think that harvesting as it is currently configured tends to feel an awful lot like having a job -- doing the same thing day after day for the same results.  The solution is "just don't harvest," which is what many have chosen.  But would there be a way to put a little more fun into it?

I think spontaneous generation of transitory resources would add at least some element of fun.  People could choose whether or not to participate.
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 01:42
I focus on harvesting with both of my accounts. The only useful mineral I have ready access to is iceheart, but there are lots of iceheart mines around. I have a trade deal with another player where I supply him with earth salts (common around my towns) and he provides silversteel, at what I consider to be an extremely generous ratio.

I've never bothered with arterium or obsidian; arterium would certainly be nice but I don't miss not having it, and obsidian is currently useless. If I really wanted either of them I'm sure I could work out another private trade arrangement. None of the other minerals currently have any use at all.

I've given the same answer occasionally in GC to the same complaint: stop thinking that every player has any "right" to each and every rare resource. The whole point of the trade module is to trade. Harvest what you have access to, and trade it for what you don't.

And yes, "politics" plays a huge role in all aspects of this game; generally players reap what they sow. A cooperative attitude fosters cooperation. A belligerent attitude fosters belligerence. Either attitude may be appropriate depending on circumstances. But politics is just the art of convincing other people to freely give you what you want, and leave them thinking it was their idea in the first place.

Edited by Llyr - 08 Jun 2013 at 01:54

Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 02:54
I agree, Llyr. I have enjoyed trading for rare resources.

Rill, there are already mobile rare resources in the form of NPCs. Mines and herbs provide some stability, and given the commitment necessary to harvest at scale, I think that's fair. I'm fielding 171 miners in one town, 14 cotters in a second, and 90 herbalists in another. That isn't feasible if the resource vanishes out from under your ownership. There are already mobile herbs like desert flame and snow bells for quickdraw herbalists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic