Print Page | Close Window

Public Unofficial Wiki and Naming Contest

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Fansites
Forum Description: Listings of fansites, and resources for creating your own.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=843
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 09:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Public Unofficial Wiki and Naming Contest
Posted By: HonoredMule
Subject: Public Unofficial Wiki and Naming Contest
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 03:37
As some already know, I've been working on putting together a wiki for Illyriad for quite some time.  Over the past few weeks especially, a great deal of work has been put into the theme and supporting materials needed to make it a robust and proper-looking resource for information, as well as to supply all the advice and direction casual editors need to be able to contribute useful, good quality material.

As I now believe it is ready to handle a wider audience of contributors and even readers to some extent, I formally invite you all to join me in building http://illyriad.honoredsoft.com/wiki - Arcanum Illyria http://illyriad.honoredsoft.com/wiki - into a comprehensive and invaluable resource for all players of Illyriad.  I had hoped to make this announcement a month earlier, but better late than never, right? Embarrassed

Content-wise, the wiki is still very much in its infancy, but already growing steadily and in particular has very extensive and moderately well-presented material useful for getting the most out of questing.

Now, about the name.  I'll admit, it's not totally awesome.  Which is exactly why I'm also announcing the "Rename Arcanum Illyria" contest.  I'm looking for a name that is distinctive, clearly identifies the content and purpose of the wiki, and still satisfies my capricious and arbitrary taste while matching the "look and feel" of the website's theme.  The contestant able to supply one that I most like (more than the current one) before the contest deadline will receive 400 advanced resources of his or her choice, sent to the (in-game, obviously) location of his or her choice.  The winner may choose any combination of multiple resources totaling 400.  Players who fear they cannot adequately protect this wealth may defer their award until they are ready and/or opt for basic resources at an exchange rate of 200 wood, clay, iron, and stone per single unit of advanced resource.  A consolation prize of 200 advanced resources will be awarded to the runner-up, and a runner-up will be chosen even if there is no first prize winner and new name selected.

Participants may submit their name ideas by replying to this topic.  Limit 5 candidate names per participant, and only the first five names listed per person will be considered.  Duplicate submissions will be attributed to the earliest post or edit date.  Contest ends midnight UTC, July 31st.  Hint:  the current name was derived while looking for ancient English/Anglo-Saxon terms for books, scrolls, or other ancient information resources.

Special Note:  Arcanum Illyria is owned and operated by myself, a member and currently a leader in the alliance 'Harmless'.  As some will already realize, this raises some privacy concerns for would-be users of the wiki engaged in espionage, open warfare, or other covert operations against Harmless.  No sensitive semi-private information gathered by the wiki--such as IP addresses, browser/OS information, or discoverable patterns of online activity--shall ever be leveraged to benefit Harmless, shared with any other members of Harmless, or viewed by myself except expressly for purposes directly tied to the continued operation of the wiki.  For the moment, you'll have to take my word on this, but I am working on formalizing a privacy policy that will provide the same assurances in a more legally binding manner.

However, please note that this promise does not extend to any user inputs or activities logged on Harmless's private wiki which is hosted at the same domain.  This private wiki uses a different default theme, corner graphic, subdomain and favicon, and is clearly named "The Harmless Wiki," so there is little risk of confusing the two.  The two sites do share login credentials, but not login sessions nor access logs nor activity data of any kind.

Replies:
Posted By: Laccy
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 08:19
Splendid job!

"Illywyky"
"Illyrium"
"Wikyriad"

Posted By: Wuzzel
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 11:47
Illypedia
Illypedium
The Illyriad Library

-------------

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 20:57
The Illyricum

Posted By: TGE
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 14:43
The Reading Room
That Wiki Illyriad  (!)
The Illyriad Hallow

-------------

Comic Sans started global warming

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 17:32
The Illyriad Almanac

Posted By: Callous
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 23:49
HoMul's Illyriad and the Odyssey

Posted By: Callous
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 00:04
The intimate illyriad
The illyriad oracle (or the Oracle of Illyriad)
Grimoire Illyriad
Orphic Illyriad

The complete idiot's guide to illyriad
Illyriad for Dummies

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 08:33
Excellent resource, HM.

I've moved the thread into Fansites, and have stickied it.

Posted By: Shrapnel
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 14:04
How about:

The Common Ground
or
The Common Ground Wiki
or
The Illyriad Common Ground

Because it will be a common ground for Illyriad players to go for infomation on Illyriad.  Guess that's 3 so I'll think of 2 more later.

Posted By: iluvpie3
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 23:55
Biblioteca de Illyriad

Or

Libro de Illyriad

Or

guia Illyriad

Or

O libro Illyriad

Or my favorite

El llibre Illyria

good job on it so far man,really looks good.If i ever have any time i'll try to contribute

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 21:24
Hello all,

Thank you to all who participated in my little contest.  The deadline for submissions has passed, and sadly none of the submissions felt "just right" for replacing Arcanum Illryia.  However, the runner-up prize is still up for the taking, and that honor goes to:

Runner-up:
 - iluvpie3 for "El Libre Illyria"

Congratulations to iluvpie3!  Please message me in-game with the location and selection of resources you would like.

Special mention goes to Kumomoto for "The Illyricum" and Callous for "Grimoire Illyriad."  Indeed, I almost chose "The Illyricum" to replace the wiki's current name, but prefer not to poison search results looking for info related to the real Illyricum.  And, as they are members of my alliance, Kumomoto and Callous can bum resources off me any time already. Tongue

Posted By: Wuzzel
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 21:53
Bummer.
Grats iluvpie :)

-------------

Posted By: iluvpie3
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 14:13

awesome,thanks HM!

Posted By: Lillith
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 16:19
Wow, thanks a lot for starting this! Looks absolutely awesome. Afraid I cant contribute much yet, since I just started playing this week, but this will be a great help for all players. Thumbs Up

Posted By: xifris
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 21:15
XD He sais "El llibre Illyria" that is the same as "The book Illyria" in English and "El libro Illyria" in Spanish AND "El llibre Illyria" in CATALAN! But "El LIBRE Illyria" have another meaning and is in SPANISH. Perhaps HM doesn't undertand because my english is very bad and i can't explain it correctly, but iluvpie3 know what i'm saying.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 01:54
Thank you for clarifying, xifris.  Indeed I did misunderstand, and like the clarified version as well (which is also contextually closer to what I was seeking).  My interpretation was that iluvpie3 was presenting a twist on "the free world" as in the game-world Illyria(d) made into a free society by openly sharing information.  However, use of unfamiliar/modern language was the primary reason for me not to use it.  It would seem unnecessarily obtuse when it should instead be easy to remember.

Posted By: some random guy
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 03:27
if the contest is still open, I've got some ideas:
illyriadata
librarium illyriad
book of illyriad
the upgrade from lv4 to lv5 for the spearmaker is 253 all basic res and 16 p/h. it takes 3h 8m 52s
great work!Clap

-------------
Soon, very soon, my name will become synonymous with chicken alfredo.... mmm.... chicken alfredo....

Posted By: fortebraccio
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 15:37
Great work!
I wish I could cooperate at it, as I love this wonderful game, but English is not my mother language, so I wouldn't risk to give unclear info.

Congrats

fb

Posted By: fortebraccio
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 15:40
...I'd suggest "Illyriad Reference Guide"

Posted By: Strategos
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 16:28
I guess I'm a little late to the party but, I really love the current name HM.

Fantastic work by the way, a very impressive resource indeed.

-------------
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Posted By: Tordenkaffen
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 17:41
Hitchhikers guide to the world of Illyriad ("Dont Panic" in large friendly letters")

Illyricarum

Tradesmans guide to the world of illyriad

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 17:58
Compendium Illyrium

Corpus Illyrium

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 19:27
Thanks, Strategos.

And just to clarify, yes the contest is over and prizes have already been awarded.  There's certainly a few metric tons of content yet to add, and I may consider offering prizes to top contributors (not necessarily by volume) in the future. Wink

Posted By: lokifeyson
Date Posted: 07 May 2011 at 13:18
nice new pics to update wiki with ;)

-------------

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 15 May 2011 at 23:59
Illybrium

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 01:30
Did something happen to the web site?  I haven't been able to access it recently.

Date Posted: 16 May 2011 at 01:56
My ISP has been screwing around with me lately, pushing me to a different IP range once or twice a week--each time causing 30-60 minutes downtime, sometimes even during peak hours.  They've been upgrading all 25down/5up service to 30 down/up (symmetric) and I've had it for a while, so hopefully things will settle soon.

UPDATE:

Apologies to all...the extended downtime was my fault, as I made a minor configuration change which inadvertently prevented dynamic IP updates.  Being locally hosted and even locally nameserved, the site remained perfectly functional for myself, so I couldn't tell there was a problem to fix.

The problem has now been rectified.

Posted By: Carlee
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 22:56
How's about:
The International Archives of Illyriad

Posted By: pfragment
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 16:20
Wikiriad seems nice.

Posted By: Gimli Son of Groin
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 17:05
I like Wikiriad and IAoI... Well done you are both s

Posted By: Kumomoto