Print Page | Close Window

The Interactions of Astrological Bodies in Illy

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7329
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 21:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Interactions of Astrological Bodies in Illy
Posted By: eowan the short
Subject: The Interactions of Astrological Bodies in Illy
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 19:43
Has anyone ever figured out how the sun/moon/planet work in illy? The key problems are caused by the fact that illyriad seems to be based on a flat world.

One of the problems is the nature of climate in illyriad; if the world is flat then why are there seasons and why do the north and south of it have arctic conditions whilst the equator is deserts/jungle?

Another problem is the moon. There is clearly a moon as we have lunar cycles which alter how research and magic are produced however there are also no tides which you would expect given there is a lunar cycle. Also, if the world is flat then is the moon also flat?

Finally, if the world is flat, how deep is it? There are volcanoes so clearly there is some depth for magma chambers and a crust to be present. Does this mean that there are 6 sides to the planet of illy? What's on these other sides?

Replies:
Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 21:11
Um, because its pretend?

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 21:21
 "They" are trying to keep us down by saying it's a flat world. It's a conspiracy I tell you! Centrum isn't controlled by council of illyriad, it's the council of illuminati! They control all trade and now they are trying to control our minds as well, by saying Illyriad is flat!  Wacko

The sages in my towns still think for themselves. They calculated illyriad is in fact round. As round as a pancake Geek

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 21:44
Illy is actually cylindrical, and we are inside the cylinder. There are forum posts somewhere. Perhaps in the forum?

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 21:53
are you questioning my sages? I bet your're one of "them". Causing confusion and all thatWacko

Posted By: Hucbold
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:18
Originally posted by Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Mr. Ubiquitous Feral wrote:

Illy is actually cylindrical, and we are inside the cylinder. There are forum posts somewhere. Perhaps in the forum?

If its cylindrical, in which direction can you keep going?

.... and how does that answer Eowan's questions (which he stole from me in GC)?

Posted By: OssianII
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:50
In this game Environmental changes are currently confined to the effect of the seasons on resource growth and availablity.

The Lunar Cycle phase effect the strength of spells Geek
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/6-environment-seasons-lunar-phases_topic119.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/6-environment-seasons-lunar-phases_topic119.html

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:56
Illyriad can't be a cylinder otherwise we could travel from the western realms to keshalia.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 15:06
... and since the length of day does not change, Illy does not tilt. I conjecture that the sun follows an up-down variable oscillating motion - higher in summer and lower in winter.  I cannot tell whether it does this to the east or the west (It cannot be north or south - the ice, you see). The moon then orbits the sun above the plane. This resolves a lot of issues but the tides and gravity in general are a problem. We need Newton.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 15:30
... and I think Eowan means astronomical bodies

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 16:21
I'm worried about global warming caused by the methane from millions of cows making sea levels rise and flooding coastal waters...

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 17:06
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

... and I think Eowan means astronomical bodies
Well... given that illyriad is fictional, I thought astrological was better.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 23:39
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

I'm worried about global warming caused by the methane from millions of cows making sea levels rise and flooding coastal waters...

OK. Lets monitor whether the ice sheets are diminishing and whether there is any increase in extreme weather events. Monthly reports will suffice KillerPoodle.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 16:42
I investigated this matter thoroughly as Geographer on the player council.  I believe that Illyriad is a cylinder with an axis that is tilted relative to the sun.  the map that we see covers only a tiny portion of the surface of this cylinder horizontally.  It is very fat and squat. That is why the entire map is in one time zone and also why there are seasons.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 20:36
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I investigated this matter thoroughly as Geographer on the player council.  I believe that Illyriad is a cylinder with an axis that is tilted relative to the sun.  the map that we see covers only a tiny portion of the surface of this cylinder horizontally.  It is very fat and squat. That is why the entire map is in one time zone and also why there are seasons.

Sorry Rill, that's an incomplete answer. How can there be seasons but a constant 12hr  day length? A fuller exposition with less hand waving is required!

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 21:40
"Day" and "night" are conventions observed by people, not geographic realities.  The designation of "day" and "night" in Illyriad has nothing to do with whether or not it is dark outside.  That is why we do not have daylight savings time.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 22:32
If day and night have no meaning then why do things like the elven spirit bow have effects which work during the day?

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 23:28
SOLUTION:
It is called global chat, therefore illy is on a globe.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 02:51
my account has Cylindrical Chat

-------------
I am a Machine.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net