Finishing the Race!
II Tim 4:7,8

Replies:
Posted By: Lost Avenger
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 05:33
yo! fix your link :D

Posted By: Princess Botchface
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 08:26
Quite a read. Times certainly have changed.

I can't help wonder, what is your motivation for writing/copy pasting this?

Posted By: Tink XX
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 07:35
Ha, that was really a good read, mostly mail exchanges, quite an unvarnished account of the war. So general Ryklaw, you were a bloodthirsty tactician who chased cities into exodus as soon as they saw tightly timed armies descend upon them. Doesn't that sound familiar Cool
Cheers!

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 03:24
Beecks. alas.

Posted By: Fanuidhol
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 03:32
That is some heavy reading :)

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 05:04
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

Beecks. alas.

Indeed.

Posted By: Urian
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 12:37
Ryklaw must be totally destroyed. As he wished for his surrendered enemies.

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 13:36
Originally posted by Urian Urian wrote:

Unnecessary. This game needs a healthy PvP culture restored. The narrative of annihilation pushed by Ryklaw and his allies must be rejected. The damage from that philosophy cannot be repaired by perpetuating it.

The stagnation in Elgea is a direct result of the game being polarized into only two options: peace through fear, or complete destruction in war. A strategy game like Illyriad needs a spectrum of PvP options, from minor skirmishes up through major wars. Otherwise, disgruntled parties are just encouraged to plot and scheme until an opportunity for annihilation presents itself. Broken Lands became a healthier PvP environment, with the default warfare option restored to a surrender after heavy troop losses but only minor city casualties, resulting in light surrender terms. The animosity caused by massive surrender terms or complete account destruction is a detriment to the community.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: Urian
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 14:28
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Originally posted by Urian Urian wrote:

Unnecessary. This game needs a healthy PvP culture restored. The narrative of annihilation pushed by Ryklaw and his allies must be rejected. The damage from that philosophy cannot be repaired by perpetuating it.

The stagnation in Elgea is a direct result of the game being polarized into only two options: peace through fear, or complete destruction in war. A strategy game like Illyriad needs a spectrum of PvP options, from minor skirmishes up through major wars. Otherwise, disgruntled parties are just encouraged to plot and scheme until an opportunity for annihilation presents itself. Broken Lands became a healthier PvP environment, with the default warfare option restored to a surrender after heavy troop losses but only minor city casualties, resulting in light surrender terms. The animosity caused by massive surrender terms or complete account destruction is a detriment to the community.

Wow, I have fallen under conviction after reading this. You are right. You and your alliances are very honorable. I hope everyone can see this and realize what great people you are.

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 18:11
So much inaccurate speculation and outright lies contained therein...

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:50
Yep I noticed it too.
And you should see the things he wrote to me the last week of the Scarecrow war. Wow. Stories of deceit and manipulation :)

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Tink XX
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 00:40
I wanna see! Star

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 02:59
What a plodding read...luckily, I could just click the link of my own name and read what an "obnoxious arrogant fool" I was. Damn, I sure deserved to be killed for telling Hath to his face that I thought he was a moron (not to mention my own moronic lapse in sending him that initial message...lol, that just floors me to this day!)

That "Great War" narrative is a wonderful one. I especially enjoy the view from "inside" the winners circle. All of those messages certainly reinforce the righteous cause taken on by the massive number of players accounts that just had to exact punishment on their enemies...oh, wait...it was because NC was tearing up the server...and TVM was enabling them (well, to be fair, so was H? and DLords et al). 

On a serious note; Ten is right on in his assessment. TBL has given this game a refresh (in as much as is possible for a stagnant game) and I believe now that I personally would have gone inactive years ago were it not for that "Great War".

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 03:01
Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

Yep I noticed it too.
And you should see the things he wrote to me the last week of the Scarecrow war. Wow. Stories of deceit and manipulation :)

"Scarecrow war"...is that in use? I love that.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 12:52
Just went through this again. Quite a good laugh. The "Big Battle" was a big turning point. vCrow got the raze and all their troops back to continue the war while we lost all our troops without one kill. The fact that they waited till they were sure most of H? was already inactive at the time of their entry into the war is also not mentioned. The fact that very few of the surrender terms from the consone war were ever honored is also not mentioned. Lets call it what it really was, "A great time to take over the server with little actual Resistance". The fact that it is coming back to bite you is actually quite sweet. 

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 17:09
Ryklaw. wasn't that the alt of Walkyr? The account that was named illuminati x during the valar war and that recently had another name and sex change into anika? 
Clap

Strange you claim you discovered illy only in 2012 while your alt has a history of illy warfare since januari 2011. 

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 18:39
Just because the account is that old, doesn't mean the ownership is continuous. He probably bought the account and used prestige to change the name.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: OssianII
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:33
Originally posted by Ryklaw Ryklaw wrote:

The former H? members added much insight into the coming war. It was also apparent that information from inside H? was still being shared outside of H?. - Extract from Great War History by Ryklaw. 
Too right intel was being shared outside H? LOL
A wonderful read Ryklaw, Sir. I shall place this in my library and bring out when I need a chuckle Thumbs Up

Posted By: walburne
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 00:31
I guess it is true, the victors write the history. No matter what the truth actually is. Tcol was at war for over 2 years and still rebuilding prior to the great war. The crows kept placing cities in our land claim, at the time. Drawing us into a conflict. And that makes us evil.

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 07:26
Originally posted by walburne walburne wrote:

I guess it is true, the victors write the history. No matter what the truth actually is. Tcol was at war for over 2 years and still rebuilding prior to the great war. The crows kept placing cities in our land claim, at the time. Drawing us into a conflict. And that makes us evil.

Talking about rewriting history... my towns were in mm that time, since long before your landclaim, and tcol never actively enforced their claim. I never received any igm about the subject.

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 07:37
Hey guys and gals. That war is ancient history. The next one is about to start. The same excuses are been thrown around with different wording but the outcome is clear to see. Much blood is going to be spilled. Our enemies will moan and bitch and eventually die. Win or lose this war, the SINdicate will come out stronger and better and the rest of you will go inactive and permasat like the last time.

I say "lets revel in the mayhem"

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Posted By: Whakomatic
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 22:40
I am sad to have not been playing when the great war happened, but I am surprised by the quantity of troops listed in fights. To all the past and current players, considering so many players have dropped the game since then, do you think the size of armies today is similar? Will the scale of a future fight be similar?

Posted By: walburne
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 01:48
That,s because our land claim did include the entire area of MM, it was only about 100 tiles by 100. You were probably never in our land claim back then.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net