Print Page | Close Window

IllyCon?

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7248
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 06:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: IllyCon?
Posted By: Twist
Subject: IllyCon?
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 13:54
hi folks....
thinking of hosting an IllyCon, in my home country Northern Ireland, some time next year.... time of year would be chosen to suit most of those interested in attending

main idea would be 2 or 3 IllyCon days and nights, maybe a Game of Thrones locations tour, an hour or two of paintballing games, or if the weather was bad, some indoor lazer tag, and a night or 2 in local bar or bars

even make a real vacation of it and stay longer if you're able and want to Smile
accommodation could be coastal, in Belfast (30 miles and 30 minutes on train from where I live) or closer to where I live, central and just south of Lough Neagh

just in the ideas stage at the moment, no definite details, happy to get any suggestions and feedback from anyone interested

SirTwist

Replies:
Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 16:37
woop! Illycon!!! Let's do this!

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 17:50
I need to get a passport, but I'm potentially up for it.  Are we talking 2018?

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 19:03
2018, and whatever time of year is best for most people interested.... 
impossible to set a date or dates that everyone would be happy and agree on, but whenever would be ok for as many as possible
you have a native of northern ireland right here to help with advice on local transport, accommodation and things to do :)

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 21:19
Would any of the devs be able to attend? 

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 15:42
If enough people are up for it, I'd happily cross the pond for this!

SC

Posted By: Bill Cipher
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 17:21
Well don't we need some illy merch to wear to illycon?

-------------
d-a-r-o-r-w-o pb wlph kdv frph wr exuq. l lqyrnh wkh dqflhqw srzhu wkdw l pdb uhwxuq

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 17:48
If attendance reaches double digits, I'll bring IllyWear for all :)

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 18:04
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

If attendance reaches double digits, I'll bring IllyWear for all :)

If I visit several times can I have more than one lot (my multiple personalities might get jealous)...

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 20:21
In RL, you don't get to have alts ;)

SC

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 22:01
sounds wonderful and if it were in 2019 I might manage it but for 2018 I will have to wish you the best of luck in getting this going.

Posted By: GM Cerberus
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 22:42
If we get enough interest and get into double digit attendance I'd be more than willing to come over for IllyCon.  Great idea guys!

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 06:28
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

In RL, you don't get to have alts ;)

SC

Or so my therapist keeps trying to tell me.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 09:32
Still very early days.... 
no need to set any schedule in stone right now, but as an example...
 day 1, everyone meet up and have an early lunch and bit of shopping, 1st afternoon have a paintballing session or lazer tag, depending on weather... and could split teams by alliance and allied alliances.... or devs against the rest!! Big smile
night at a local bar with live music
2nd day, early start around Game Of Thrones Locations, mainly around the north coast of Northern Ireland, and 2 or 3 around the southeast coast (Northern Ireland is small) 2nd night another night in a bar, followed by pizza or fast food of choice

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 09:38
For those that might not be able to make an IllyCon in 2018.... we could always follow Golf's Ryder Cup....
2018 in Europe, 2019 in the USA :D
I think something in Northern Ireland could be a unique experience though, not just with Game of Thrones filming locations.... but other outstanding areas, as well as a culture world famous Big smile

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 10:13
Originally posted by Twist Twist wrote:

For those that might not be able to make an IllyCon in 2018.... we could always follow Golf's Ryder Cup....
2018 in Europe, 2019 in the USA :D
I think something in Northern Ireland could be a unique experience though, not just with Game of Thrones filming locations.... but other outstanding areas, as well as a culture world famous Big smile

Methinks Sir Twist is in the secret employ of the NI Tourist Board Wink

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 17:31
as it would be impossible to set dates where everyone would be happy, I'd suggest anyone interested in attending a 2018 IllyCon in Northern ireland...
Give first preference of when would be best for you, sometime between start of May and mid-September 2018... and 2nd preference....
then we try and choose a time that most folk would find acceptable even if not ideal?

Posted By: Lost Avenger
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 14:49
I could attend, but I imagine I would be standing by myself just outside the group, talking to my alt most of the time...

Posted By: Sister Nikki
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 11:33
The whole idea is very nice Smile

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 14:59
For anyone interested in attending a 2018 IllyCon in Northern Ireland, look for bargain flights to Belfast direct, or connection via London... might be cheaper than you think Wink

anyone voicing their interest now isn't signing a contract or anything, just getting an idea for now of who might be interested...

would anyone disagree with end of May? or would end of August be preferred?
I think those would be the 2 best times of year, although other suggestions are welcome Smile

Posted By: Princess Botchface
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 13:12
I can probably get my **** together by then, I'll come. Never been to Ireland, but always wanted to go there. 

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 14:17
Made a poll for figuring out when people can attend IllyCon.
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/illycon-poll_topic7249.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/illycon-poll_topic7249.html

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 07:49
Scarecrows claim Ireland as well as Northern Island. Choose another location or pay the toll.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 08:44
An additional activity for the IllyCon, or instead of the paintball / lazer quest....
a go-kart session

I'd suggest a karaoke night.... but St. Patrick already scared all the snakes away, we don't need to scare the crows away too!!

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:24
Never mind the crows...cats would run a mile if I started singing...

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 17:16
Whether I'll be able to make it is unclear at the moment but I will certainly do my best.

Posted By: Bree
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 19:42
What month has the nicest weather? Do you have a whale watching season around the costs?

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 19:53
weather is very unpredictable so far ahead.... May through to mid-September is usually good, but always a chance of rain... there's a reason the country is famous for being so green 

I would say July / August probably best chance of good weather without being able to guarantee it

if the weather was bad at the time chosen, there's still plenty of indoor stuff... lazer quest / go-carting / shopping... bars :D

Posted By: SheWolf
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 17:18
I would love to attend if I can pull it all together, always wanted to visit Ireland anyway! ILLYCON or BUST!!

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 19:13
1 more event added to IllyCon 2018 if anyone wants it....
Pizza Challenge!! Big smile

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 21:17
what is a pizza challenge? who can eat the most? who can make the most? who can make the best?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 18:42
there's a local place that has a pizza challenge currently, every Saturday night, someone tries to eat an 18" pizza, loaded with extra cheese, in 30 minutes... I've tried it myself, and only managed about 2/3s

I think an IllyCon could do something similar.... as an example, whoever wants to compete, we decide on the size of the pizza, maybe that 18" pizza....
then those taking part each try to eat a full pizza, 18" or 16"? whoever finishes first wins.... if no one manages to finish their pizza, the winner is whoever eats the most

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 20:12
Normally takes me 2 days to eat an 18" pizza ...I'd be up for failing miserably though LOL

Posted By: Queen Bacet
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 10:01
Its a shame this never went further than the forums, you could have got more people involved. You still can if you chat about it in GC.
Myself i would love to but am unable to travel that far but i do hope you get this lifted off the ground especially with the dev involvement.
I think you could bring out a lot of the lurkers with this Clap 

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:13
huh? Has this been cancelled? I might not play anymore but I was looking forward to it!

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:39
As far as I know it is still happening. It would be an excellent chance to meet not only some of the other players but some of the devs as well - I might even have some bits and pieces for folks attending. still trying to sort that out...

Posted By: OssianII
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 13:12
Twisty. This is a grand idea Wink

I'll travel over 

Posted By: Canesrule
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 14:28
SC. My identical twin will be most upset to know he can't come as an Alt.

Posted By: Bonemash
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 18:01
excellent ... I look forward to IllyCon in Belfast! I live in Belfast and would love to attend.

Twist, why not look at working it into Q-Con...thus a lot of other things would be on hand to entertain / ammuse... though I belive its in June..towards the end of the Month

Posted By: Stukahh
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 20:21
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

huh? Has this been cancelled? I might not play anymore but I was looking forward to it!

Riiiiiiiiiiight. Wink

-------------
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 21:43
lol, stuk, I have sod all interest in playing illy again. There is no point. If I come back, I'll get noob ringed as soon as I speak in GC ( Fiona would spot me in an instant :P ) and the reason why I played illy and enjoyed it for the best part of 2 years was that I spoke in GC a lot and made friends.

Now, if I got a guarantee that I would not be noob ringed as soon as I got into chat, I probably would come back. There are a number of people I don't have via facebook or other external chats and it'd be good to talk to them again.

Posted By: Jejune
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 22:30
We could consider bringing you back as a SIN prisoner of war. We've done this before with several other players.

-------------
https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/394156" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 00:28
How would being a PoW work and should we move this a separate place? Feels like we are hijacking twist's thread.

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 15:58
Illy Con 2018 is very much still in the planning stage and will be happening!!

I hope to be in a different house in the next few weeks, so will be able to offer greater help with free accommodation to those who can only attend on a very low budget... I should have enough room to have 4, maybe 5 people stay with me (free) Smile
There is also a few places locally, a hotel or 2, some bed & breakfast places... just in or near the town I live, and then other places further afield.

I think early to mid August might be the best time, especially to allow students to attend before they return or start college or university

Maybe the 2nd weekend of August 2018?

Still some time to go before then, so plenty of time to work on details.... if anyone finds that time impossible, let me know here or in game... it might not be perfect for some people, but if they can make it work, great... as other months might be impossible for a few folk

There are a lot of possible activities that could be included, for those that want them.... and of course folk can always avoid those and just travel around sightseeing or even just plant themselves in a local bar for the weekend lol

all ideas and suggestions on anything about IllyCon are more than welcome, and all will be considered Smile

Posted By: Kimmyeo
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 16:17
If he is a POW can we come over and torture him a little? That would be great...AngryWink

Posted By: Grom
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 16:31
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

lol, stuk, I have sod all interest in playing illy again. There is no point. If I come back, I'll get noob ringed as soon as I speak in GC ( Fiona would spot me in an instant :P ) and the reason why I played illy and enjoyed it for the best part of 2 years was that I spoke in GC a lot and made friends.

Now, if I got a guarantee that I would not be noob ringed as soon as I got into chat, I probably would come back. There are a number of people I don't have via facebook or other external chats and it'd be good to talk to them again.

Good news Eowan, you can chat in GC from the ring without any restrictions. 

Posted By: Det
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 13:24
What a great idea. 

I'd be up for this. 

And I have family in N. Ireland that I can annoy while I'm there.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 14:41
how does the weekend of August Friday 17th - Sunday 19th (or the following weekend) next year sound? 
and it can either be held with my hometown as the base, which is centrally located in Northern Ireland, or on the North Coast, where I think many would like to spend most of their time while here.

The dates suggested might not be perfect for some people, but it would be impossible to get dates that would be ideal for every person interested...
the best we can do is find the time that suits most, and if others can attend even if it's not their preferred time of the year.

August means we would hopefully have some summer weather, although that could never be a certainty at any time.... it also means it's in the main holiday or vacation time of the year for UK folk, and maybe most americans too... and it's before students would return to college or university

If we hold it on the weekend mentioned above or the following weekend, anyone interested in attending a local soccer game, I can bring you to watch the club I've supported for 33 years :)

If we can get dates set, then anyone that wants to start looking into travel arrangements, and or accommodation, could use the set dates....
I'll be able to provide free accommodation for 4-6 people, preferably those who can only attend on a low budget.

some ideas for the long weekend,
a game of thrones location tour, either an official tour or hiring our own mini bus and doing our own tour...
a paintballing game or airsoft combat game...
a pizza challenge, and a couple of nights in local bar with live music...

on a more serious note, as well as the fun and games, a short memorial for Illy players that have passed away

more suggestions always welcome Smile

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 16:14

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 19:59
Those dates work for me! Let's do this!!

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:13
just been online having a look at low cost flights, this link is for the website I was using, although there might be better sites with cheaper bargains.... look around! :)
For anyone interested in IllyCon 2018...
Illycon itself is likely to be 2 or 3 days, probably 3.... but anyone and everyone is more than welcome to stay longer and make a real vacation of it.... my sister even has her own childcare business, and although I'd need to check with her, I'm sure she could take some extra kids if you bring them with you and then think "I'd love to go paintballing, but what about the kids??"

if looking for flights to Northern Ireland, there are 2 choices of Belfast International and Belfast City... Belfast International will probably be better for lower cost flights...
Also check prices for flying into Dublin, then just 90 minutes north on the train.

this website searches for flights, and shows the lowest fares it can find... I was getting results of £400 ($525) from NYC to Belfast, or £320 ($420) from NYC to Dublin, with arrival on wednesday 15th August, returning to NYC on Wed 22nd... 1 weeks stay
look around though, there might be better websites with even cheaper bargains! :)
http://www.jetcost.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - http://www.jetcost.co.uk/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net