Print Page | Close Window

Pay to Win

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Suggestions & Game Enhancements
Forum Description: Got a great idea? A feature you'd like to see? Share it here!
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7239
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 05:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pay to Win
Posted By: SOKAPOPIS
Subject: Pay to Win
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 19:42
I think that possibility of selling prestige for gold entirely changed the game spirit .
It s now a pay to win obviously .
The way to win wars is highly linked to the runing negative gold income .
People can aford to have huge armies as long they can buy prestige and get big amounts of gold from it .
There s no need to be a genius to have big armies , i could teach a monkey how to get more and more negative gold production and he could do it forever if his money will allow it .
This really changed the spirit in illy and obviously gives a big advantage to warmongers  . they dont even need to produce , hunt nor harvest to get the gold they need to finance their armies .
The natural tendance of rich people being to crush what is less rich than themselves the result is what we are seing now in Illy . Aggressive temper backed with money is slowly but surely killing that game .
That possibility to sell prestige for gold should just be removed .
i know it comes against economic but that s 0 dollar that the game will gain when this world will be over .

Replies:
Posted By: Hyrdmoth
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 20:12
I disagree on several counts.

1. Even I have been able to build up a stash of a few hundred million gold to help me support larger armies without selling a single bit of prestige. Other players have been able to do the same to a far greater extent.

2. While maintaining large standing armies is advantageous, even large armies can die quickly. Victory in wars will therefore tend to go to the side that can replace its losses most quickly. While a large stash of gold can help with this, troop production speed is limited by a hard limit of 20 sovereign structures, and a soft limit of basic resource use.

3. There is no winning in Illyriad. In other thematically similar games it is possible to greatly increase the power at your disposal by conquering the cities of other players, but the difficulty of moving beyond ten cities in Illyriad, and the high cost of capturing a defended city compared to the return on that investment in greater troop production, means that a small group of players buying prestige cannot use the relatively small edge it gives them to accumulate far greater power within the game.

4. Enabling players who are unable, or unwilling, to purchase prestige with $, £ or €, to purchase prestige from other players with in game gold, encourages the purchase of prestige by players of the game, helping to fund the game servers, further development and support.

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 20:54
Muggle myth.

First, the game already had trading of gold for prestige. It was clunky, but people would buy prestige for others in exchange for gold. The transaction also happened within alliances via the alliance prestige pool. The devs just streamlined and formalized a way of trading prestige on the open market.

Second, exchanging prestige for gold has enabled new players to vault directly into PvP. That's a good thing. Previously, tournaments were dominated by the old alliances who had huge arrays of permasat gold farms. Literally their only "virtue" was that they willingly broke the 2 account rule and had sufficient connections to collect multiple accounts. If selling prestige for gold has broken that stranglehold, then good for the sellers.

Third, for every seller there is a buyer. Who is buying all this prestige? You guessed it, mostly the players with gold farms. But there are also many minor purchases by players who saved up their gold to buy in-game currency, and that's great too. It is allowing real money to enter the game by facilitating the prestige-for-gold transaction.

Net result: PfG sales have allowed a few new players to jump into PvP and compete with musty old accounts by giving the devs real money. Overall that's a win-win for the game.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: Eresh
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 21:13
Ten Kulch is correct. As a relatively new player (4 months old now) I would not be able to participate in the pvp side of the game for many more months without being able to buy prestige for IRL money and selling it for gold. Taxes will feed what? 1000 troops max for a noob? Hell you can't even farm some groups of npcs effectively with what your taxes will cover on a low population noob city.

I don't have a fleet of perma-sat accounts to pull from. I don't have years of harvested items to sell. I don't have a built up gold farm (but I am working on one). I don't want to have to commit a year of my life into a game just to build a gold farm in order to see if I even like half the aspects of that game or not. Selling a few scraps lets me build a real army and participate now. It also keeps the game you're playing free for you to play it. 

PS - none of this means I'm rich (I'm a poor mofo, trust me) and none of it means I have a bad temper or wanna crush lesser people. It's hard for a farmer to understand, but pvp actually can be fun in a game.

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 20 May 2017 at 23:18
I've been playing Illy on and off for a fair few years - this is about my 5th incarnation and I started it almost 2.5 years ago and throughout that time people have found ways to do things that were not hard coded into the game, it's part of the beauty of Illy as far as I'm concerned. There are an almost unlimited number of ways to play the game and none of them involve 'winning' the game.

So far I've not tried the 'Warmongering' style of play but from the information I've gathered over the years I have to agree with the earlier replies - being able to sell prestige for gold has only made the game more interesting for more people. That is a good thing.

As the previous replies all pointed out, the increase in the amount of prestige being bought means more hard cash for the devs and at the end of the day if they don't get enough money then they can't pay for the servers that the game runs on. That means no game let alone any future development and I for one am willing to donate some (OK a very small amount) of my limited RL funds to help make sure the game keeps running and who knows possibly even get some new things in it.

Posted By: Silea
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 15:14
I am in no way a warmonger.   But I have to agree with Tensmoor and others here.  Do I see the game changing yes I do.   But are the changes bad?   Or is this a vitalizing the game?  We all knew when we got an influx of steam players that there would be changes.  I know it changed some ways that I played I moved some cities to be closer,  but i dont really see that it is bad.  

Posted By: SOKAPOPIS
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 16:27
Looks like i wont convince anyone . If you guys cant see that the gap between prestige players and those playing for free hugely grown due to the prestige sold for mass gold then there s nothing i can say .
one of the things liked in illy was that prestige was usefull but wasnt making such a big difference . I feel that time is over . It s most like if you dont spend money then u r way behind nowadays cause u got to work hard to gather few gold when other can get hundreds of Millions with one click .

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 18:42
I've been in the leadership of 4 alliances w/o ever buying prestige. Trade-wise I ran an bank and rank in the top 150 players. If prestige was that much of a problem due to its use for in game gold then I shouldn't have been able to do any of that.

Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 18:44
I know many of the most aggressive PvP fighters in the game. Maybe 5-10 of my friends are heavily selling prestige to finance major armies. I know far more people who are using gold reserves to purchase prestige to finance account growth past 9 cities.

As I pointed out, prestige for gold sales happened long before prestige items could be sold on the market.

I have already won more prestige at trivia this year than I have purchased with money. Whatever your theory about selling prestige for gold to finance armies, it should be plain that proficiency at fighting will always overcome deep pockets. The only exception might be tournaments, because people just stand there taking punches. Gold might prevail there.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 20:16
+1 Ten Kulch

A lot of the prestige I buy is used to speed vans from BL to the newbie ring.

Posted By: Sargon
Date Posted: 21 May 2017 at 23:40
I still think for a free-to-play-player like me the prestige for ingame gold is really cheap, bought 2 scraps from a military minded player today and I feel I got more of it than the seller... As long as the direct military benefit (attack/defence bonus) stays as low as now I think we are decently balanced at least, if not even leaning towards the peaceful builders as Ten is suggesting.

Posted By: Eresh
Date Posted: 22 May 2017 at 00:18
I'm really small compared to much of Scarecrow (WRATH) and the average Centrum price for 2 scraps would last me less than a week with my current army upkeep - even less time with the taxes paid to Centrum. So really, it's not like we're supporting a billion troops for a few bucks a week. Players with properly built accounts, perma-sats, gold farms, etc. are gonna support way more troops than a prestige seller will, unless they're taking out a home mortgage to buy Illy gold.

Date Posted: 23 May 2017 at 00:29
It is also worth understanding that using the prestige to build a gold-producing city will have a much more powerful long term effect than selling the prestige for gold.

-------------

Posted By: Queen Bacet
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 14:27
I buy prestige but use on an army that kills NPC's so i can collect the stuff i kill i get satisfaction from the game that way. I dont intend on being into PVP or warmongering ive played other games like that and did not enjoy being beaten overnight when id spent so long in building up. This is why i chose to play illy as it seems like a game you can make friends have a chat and have a laugh playing. Those that come for the pvp are not here for that they are not interested in that but others ive met are. They are the type of player that want to build and stay and become invested in the game, either way, its a win-win for the game in the long run.

Posted By: Celebrant
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 08:55
Just contributing.

Illy is the best when played without using prestige.

FOR Developers (this is topic where they are in)

If you permit a land claim, please mark those areas on the map. We are not all in the mood for negotiating with the conquerors.

Posted By: Small Boy
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 19:18
"Illy is best when played without using prestige."

Isn't that just your own opinion? I think everyone should play as they want to. 

And as for land claims, alliances have even coordinates listed on their alliance page.

Asking Devs to mark it is unfair because they do not and will not get involved in Illy politics. 

It is also lazy. Go check the coords on World Map.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 19:30
Originally posted by Small Boy Small Boy wrote:

"Illy is best when played without using prestige."

Isn't that just your own opinion? I think everyone should play as they want to. 

And as for land claims, alliances have even coordinates listed on their alliance page.

Asking Devs to mark it is unfair because they do not and will not get involved in Illy politics. 

It is also lazy. Go check the coords on World Map.

Of course, it is my opinion.
I always writing my opinions.
I asked developers, if you read with understanding.
Are you one of them?

Posted By: Grom
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 19:50
I don't see why the devs should be responsible for marking landclaims. It is the players that claim and contest claims, and as such, it is up to the players to keep track of them. If you wandered into a claim by mistake, the claiming alliance is probably willing to assist you in moving out. If you do not wish to "negotiate" that is your own choice. You can talk, fight, or suffer in silence. But asking the devs to take responsibility for your choice is not reasonable. 

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 21:45
Originally posted by Grom Grom wrote:

I don't see why the devs should be responsible for marking landclaims. It is the players that claim and contest claims, and as such, it is up to the players to keep track of them. If you wandered into a claim by mistake, the claiming alliance is probably willing to assist you in moving out. If you do not wish to "negotiate" that is your own choice. You can talk, fight, or suffer in silence. But asking the devs to take responsibility for your choice is not reasonable. 

I didn't ask them for taking responsibility, I just asked them to mark claimed lands on World map, and in my opinion they should do it for their customers who are buying vans of Prestige.

Or they could add note on the Home page with:

This is free game, but you are not allowed to settle without permission of alliance leaders in "claimed lands",  even if you bought tons of Prestige.

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 00:28
Um, the way we see it is that there's three tiers of 'land claims'.

There's:

a) The land you actually occupy.  This is the ultimate land claim.  This is where your town is/towns are.

b) The land you claim sovereignty over.  This can be contested, fought over etc.

c) Other 'land claims', such as "Our alliance owns the continent of Elgea".  These claims have no game-mechanic-enforcability, but may be enforced by the players who make the claim.  That's entirely up to them to try to enforce.  To attempt to make an ingame mechanic that highlights, illuminates and/or semi-legitimises such claims would, of course, be entirely futile.

Best,

SC

Posted By: Jejune
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 00:47
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

To attempt to make an ingame mechanic that highlights, illuminates and/or semi-legitimises such claims would, of course, be entirely futile.

GM Stormcrow, in a livestream chat years ago, you mused about the concept of perhaps using the sovereignty mechanic to facilitate something like alliance claims, wherein clusters of allied players could form some kind of "alliance sov" that would link city to city. Not sure what this would impart (maybe some marginal modifer?) but is that concept ultimately impossible/futile? Is the sovereigty mechanic flexible enough to feature this kind of functionality? 

Alliance Land claims have endured in some form since the beginning of the game, and for the past 2 1/2, they have gained in use:

• http://tinyurl.com/bl-land-claim-map" rel="nofollow - http://tinyurl.com/bl-land-claim-map

• http://tinyurl.com/elgea-land-claim-map" rel="nofollow - http://tinyurl.com/elgea-land-claim-map

-------------
https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/394156" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Mafro
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 01:02

To attempt to make an ingame mechanic that highlights, illuminates and/or semi-legitimises such claims would, of course, be entirely futile.

Actually, I think you're missing a great fun- and revenue-generating opportunity.

Players want to have the game reflect the territory that they claim, and you have the ability to code that function (at some cost). Simply create a variation of the strategic map that can show the land claimed by different alliances (just as it currently shows sov land by alliance). In order for an alliance to expand their claim, it costs prestige - maybe lots of it.

The (slightly) trickier part would be to create an alliance-level page to define the claim. This page would probably contain a series of form fields, each of which would take a pair of X and Y coordinates, using them to define the vertices of the shape of the land claim, with the final coordinate pair in the list connecting back to the first. The prestige cost could be related to the area of the shape, or it could just be a fixed amount.

The last required page would list the land claims by alliance, with the leader of an alliance being able to view and click a "Withdraw" button to withdraw a land claim.

Having land claims overlap is not an issue...it happens in the real world all the time. However, if an alliance decides to use a contested land claim as a reason to go to war, then it could demand the other alliance withdraw from their claim before making peace. If the losing alliance decides to create a new land claim, presumably without the contested territory, then it's simply another prestige payment to do so, with updated coordinate pairs.

Legitimized land claims = fun!

Posted By: Jejune
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 01:21
Amen.

-------------
https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/394156" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 04:13
Why not a tournament mechanic? There could be a throne tile for each region. Once a month, the throne becomes available for capture. Whoever gets the most occupation time in one week becomes the regional ruler for the next month. That alliance can levy a tax on all cities within the region (1-3%), and receives a +10% bonus to attack and defense on all squares within the region.

-------------

Posted By: Mafro
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 08:16
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Why not a tournament mechanic? There could be a throne tile for each region. Once a month, the throne becomes available for capture. Whoever gets the most occupation time in one week becomes the regional ruler for the next month. That alliance can levy a tax on all cities within the region (1-3%), and receives a +10% bonus to attack and defense on all squares within the region.

Also sounds awesome!

I even just think allowing players and/or alliances to create feudal structures, e.g. lieges and vassals, would be interesting. If large players offered protection to small players in exchange for some benefit (maybe a discovery that allows a tax boost based on combined population of vassals), then we'd create an interesting alternative to the we're-all-in-this-together alliance/confed structure.

Any sort of in-game hierarchy of players or alliances would be good, in my opinion, and spur new and interesting routes for game play.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 08:45

Um, the way we see it is that there's three tiers of 'land claims'.

There's:

a) The land you actually occupy.  This is the ultimate land claim.  This is where your town is/towns are.

b) The land you claim sovereignty over.  This can be contested, fought over etc.

c) Other 'land claims', such as "Our alliance owns the continent of Elgea".  These claims have no game-mechanic-enforcability, but may be enforced by the players who make the claim.  That's entirely up to them to try to enforce.  To attempt to make an ingame mechanic that highlights, illuminates and/or semi-legitimises such claims would, of course, be entirely futile.

Best,

SC

Hope you are enjoying.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:59
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

+1

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 11:10
I really like the throne tile idea. My main concern with the land claim map suggestion was me thinking that it would be ultimately too unworkable and confusing if land claims overlapped; using the throne tile idea is a very neat workaround to this issue. 

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 19:30
You don't need the devs to create a sov map - witness the following from Eve Online:

http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/verite/influence.png" rel="nofollow - http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/verite/influence.png

If there's not enough data in the data files to do this then that would be a more fruitful request to them.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net